No Supplemental Discipline for Reaves hit on Wilson

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
When we're getting down to tenths of a second.. who cares. It's a game not science.

The limit for late hit is.

That one wasn't even late and thus you can't get suspended from misscalled penalty.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Weasel speak? Here, let me try this slowly: Hypocrisy has nothing to do with it. You're condemnation of people being hypocrites is, while an obvious and simple response, misplaced. Why? Because they don't care they're being hypocrites. They are, as you have suggested, simply having fun with it.

Thank you for proving my point.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Wilson didnt pick a war with Reeves. Reeves stalked Wilson and took runs at him the entire game.
Wilson was taking runs at Reaves too. The second "big hit" Reaves put on him came from Wilson trying to hit him and bouncing off.

There's no doubt Reaves was going after Wilson. Only an idiot could try to argue that. But let's not act like Wilson didn't keep the attention going.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Caps is a pretty soft team bar Wilson so good thing Reaves proved who's the alpha out there.
Eh. Ovie, Orlov, DSP, and even Oshie can throw hits, too. But with both Oshie and Wilson sidelined with apparent concussions, yes, that’ll reduce team toughness. In the old days, out next call-up would be Liam O’Brien, to try to counteract that. But the game is more about speed now. Last night’s game was more the exception than the rule.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
If I'm the coach of the Caps, I'm looking at Wilson's offensive value vs Reaves's, and concluding that trading Wilson for Reaves is a bad exchange, because Wilson is by far the superior hockey player.

Conversely, if I'm coaching Vegas, I'd love to trade Reaves for Wilson.

What you foolishly view as cowardice, is actually discipline.

Did you really just mention discipline and Tom Wilson in the same sentence?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I think the League ultimately got it right. The hit itself wasn’t that bad and didn’t warrant Supplemental Discipline. The injury justified the 5 and a Game. I suppose those wishing Wilson to “get his” are thusly vindicated. I’ll sticky this thread and the others rejoicing in the injury for the next time that Wilson lays a big hit and someone gets hurt.

It’s a strange dynamic; Caps fans defend Wilson for plays that are reckless but generally acknowledge his recklessness and have long moved on from debating the arbitrary nature in which the League chooses to enforce its own rules but I have never once seen a Caps fan revel in ANY injury to ANY opponent from ANY hit.

By my count ~5 threads have been started since last night celebrating this Injury seething with contempt, and hardly attempting to conceal pathetic hatred. It’s the definition of classless and the posters responsible are no surprise to anyone. You can hate Tom Wilson all you want but debasing yourself reveals the coarse, worthless, and reprehensible character we always knew was there anyway.

Reactions: TheSmokingMan

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I have to agree that it's the right call if they didn't suspend Wilson for the Seney hit. But I wouldn't be surprised if Reaves got an informal warning. I can't imagine the NHL is too pleased with Reaves taking vigilante justice into his own hands.

Reactions: 43sfriends

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
You know if Wilson didn't admire his pass he probably could have avoided getting hit, or better brace himself for it.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Eh. Ovie, Orlov, DSP, and even Oshie can throw hits, too. But with both Oshie and Wilson sidelined with apparent concussions, yes, that’ll reduce team toughness. In the old days, out next call-up would be Liam O’Brien, to try to counteract that. But the game is more about speed now. Last night’s game was more the exception than the rule.
Missed the Winnipeg game did you?

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Are you insane? Wilson smacked his forehead on the ice, it was hard to watch. I wouldn't want to see that happen to anyone, ever.

It may have been hard to watch for you. The reality is, Wilson is known for headhunting , while definitely an illegal hit - It was body to body. I believe in an eye for an eye, while Wilson may have been targeted, the hit was much cleaner then what he is dishing out on a regular basis.

You wanna dish it out, take it too.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Wasn't a cheap shot, Wilson needs to not watch his pass. There's still an onus on the player to not put himself in a bad spot.
He was going to get rocked whether he turned forward or not. He got "blindsided" because he was moving away from where the pass was going which meant he was in a bad spot to anticipate a hit. Not Reaves's fault, either.

Besides, when you make a pass you typically want to keep track of the play and adapt to where the puck ends up going, whether it hits its target or not. Like I said in the other thread, the idea of players "watching their pass" too much is way overused.

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
Tweed go ahead and have a read bud. Seems like Tommy was being stalked by the big bad lion all night. I'm guessing Tommy Boy wishes he shed the mitts and turtled instead of the alternative that left him face first on the ice.

If you think he was going after him on behalf of "all the little guys" in the league. that's delusional.

The fact that he wanted to prove he was "the biggest lion" (bravado, machismo, not vigilantism), and ended up braying to the press after the guy's chin strap pops and he cracks his head on the ice is...pretty pathetic.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Marcus F0ligno, Braydon Cobourn, Patrick Maroon, Ross Johnston, Tom Sestito, Chris Stewart, Bradon Bollig, Ryan Reaves (x2), Zach Sill....would you like more names of people who are as big or bigger than Wilson?

Wilson runs away from Ross Johnston, he wants no part of him. Johnston forced him to drop the gloves and Wilson didn't do anything but wait for the refs to save him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->