No Supplemental Discipline for Reaves hit on Wilson

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Are people still thinking a half shelf helmet is stopping a concussion in that situation?

No way of knowing. But we do know that there would have been less impact. Wilson could argue that the hit was against the rules but once he failed to properly secure his helmet, Reaves had no liability for any bodily harm. It would be like a driver tying his seatbelt in a knot instead of securely clicking it in and then b*tching about the car maker after he flew threw the windshield. Reaves and concussion don't belong in the same sentence.

Last edited:

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Really not sure what Caps fans are trying to accomplish with this thread anymore. If they're still lobbying for a suspension the consensus was against it here and it wasn't a charge or a head shot and he wasn't thrown headfirst into the boards and it wasn't a particularly late hit and he didn't have his hat screwed on tight. I think the Caps announcers actually overplayed the 'blindside' and the irony is that Wilson never seemed to care all that much about running other players from their blindside. And then the NHL has already decided---no suspension. So even if you did have unanimous agreement here there isn't going to be a suspension and it's pretty much over as an event for 30 of the 31 NHL teams. You guys are just going to have to wait for your guy to return from his injury just like other teams have had to wait for their guys after Wilson injured them.

On the question of whether Tom Wilson is something more than just a goon and that being a pretty good player that should merit him more favorable consideration than Ryan Reaves who is more than less a legit 4th line player/tough guy. IMO no player should get special consideration for deliberately trying to injure another no matter whether they're Reaves, Wilson or Sidney Crosby. It doesn't always seem to work that way towards the upper end of the spectrum but Wilson's not really at the upper end of the spectrum anyway and his history of injuring other players with questionable hits is why he gets the scrutiny and the suspensions he does. So if you want a player like him---expect that he'll be suspended and targeted for retribution now and again. If you can live with the injuries he causes other opponents you can live with the injuries and suspensions he receives back.
Any thread involving Wilson becomes general thread about him where his haters can express their hate, except threads about his points streak. I think most of Caps fans here wants DoPS to show some consistency in their punishments. Unlike "clean" players who caused injuries, Wilson served his suspensions. None of his haters should feel that justice didn't served towards Wilson. Current league is some kind of crappy gouv when they show they care about public safety by spreading in the media about a successful criminal case close while there are thousands still opened or ignored.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I’m surprised anybody thinks reaves should be suspended for that hit.

I am too really. The hit was a tad late--between .5 and .6 seconds according to Bob McKenzie. McKenzie went on to say that the league starts to look at suspensions for a late hit when it goes past .6 so it didn't do that. Reaves also doesn't really go off his path very much and his hit isn't high. It's pretty much standard textbook in that regard and nowhere near the head. I remember seeing Mike Sauer's helmet flying off his head after he got walloped by Dion Phaneuf. Sauer never played again. Got to strap that helmet on right. It was a violent hit but if I were to guess the concussion doesn't comes from that--it comes from Wilson's helmetless head hitting the ice. I'll repeat--got to strap on that helmet right.

The other thing is put Wilson in Reaves skates on that play and you know he doesn't pass the hit up either and IMO Wilson would have been way more likely to go higher.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If only he cared as much about the well being of the people he tries to hurt on the ice as those in this story off the ice...

Why don't you just drop the act. From the article:

At the suggestion that what some might want to hear from him is remorse, he said, “I don’t think I need to tell the media the remorse I’ve had.
“Anyone who knows me knows that I’ve had that. Right after I made that hit [on Sundqvist], you can see my face on the Jumbotron. I wasn’t expecting that outcome. I don’t know what people want me to say. No one knows how I felt, and if I say I felt bad, then people are just going to say, ‘Oh, you felt bad? Look at him, he’s hurt.’ So, my family knows how I felt, my close friends know how I felt, and no one else really needs to know. But all that I’d have people know is that I have a ton of respect for the players that I play against, and I have a ton of respect for the players I play with. And when anyone gets hurt on the ice, you always hope that they’re okay.”

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Why don't you just drop the act. From the article:

Like he’s going to say he enjoys hurting other players with cheapshots.

Oh look, Matt Cooke said similar things:

Cooke's story puts his season in perspective

I don't want to hurt anybody," he said.

So, Cooke said, he has "changed (his) approach" to hitting. He said he never wants to again do what he has done to opponents such as Marc Savard, Fedor Tyutin or Ryan McDonagh — the latter of whom he caught with an elbow to the head late last season, an illegal blow that brought upon Cooke a 17-game suspension.

Cooke didn’t want to hurt anybody. Cooke felt badly. Yet he kept hurting people after this article was published, just like Wilson will.

Dirty players just can’t help themselves and that’s what Wilson is... a less talented Cooke.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Like he’s going to say he enjoys hurting other players with cheapshots.

Oh look, Matt Cooke said similar things:

Cooke's story puts his season in perspective

Cooke didn’t want to hurt anybody. Cooke felt badly. Yet he kept hurting people after this article was published, just like Wilson will.

Dirty players just can’t help themselves and that’s what Wilson is... a less talented Cooke.

Well I guess that settles it. Tom Wilson is Matt Cooke and you're a fortune teller.

Got some lottery numbers for us?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Well I guess that settles it. Tom Wilson is Matt Cooke and you're a fortune teller.

Got some lottery numbers for us?

Right, I forgot, Tom Wilson who has been a POS since he came into the league and already has two more dirty hits this season is now a clean player who doesn’t like to hurt people.... because he said so.

Got it.

The same guy who doles out cheapshots then pretends he doesn’t know why he’s being punished... yep.

If you can’t take Honest Tom’s word, whose can you?

Reactions: Snowman

Walt Comiskey

Feb 26, 2009
Illegal hit. Thus the penalty and ejection. Deserved a game or 2 otherwise people will keep this up. I am a Wilson fan, but he got what he gives and maybe it will wisen him up.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Right, I forgot, Tom Wilson who has been a POS since he came into the league and already has two more dirty hits this season is now a clean player who doesn’t like to hurt people.... because he said so.

Got it.

The same guy who doles out cheapshots then pretends he doesn’t know why he’s being punished... yep.

If you can’t take Honest Tom’s word, whose can you?

Two dirty hits? You mean Seney? Well that sure shows your bias.

This article was written after his recent suspension when he was scoring and definitely not headhunting. The only thing that happened since then was the Seney incident which was nothing and incidental contact. Even Seney, who was not injured and kept playing, said it was not a headshot. The Caps coach confirmed the play as I and others described it, which was Wilson following his man down to the puck.

TW disagrees with two of the four suspensions, and none have come in a regular season game. I agree with his assessments regarding the first suspension, which I believe was intended to get him on the books and send a message, and his dispute with the ZAR suspension which was shoulder/shoulder and voluntary contact for both players.

But here's what's going to happen since we're making predictions...

TW is going to come back and try to play it clean like he did after the recent suspension. He may or may not score at the same hot clip due to the injury but he will still be a target of the league, players like Reaves, and people like YOU.

Which means that the next time there's a Seney-like incident where someone throws himself to the ice clutching his face despite no face contact, the same angry mobs will show up and declare Wilson "the same old dirty POS he's always been" and that will become the narrative, regardless of facts. Why? Because it's already happened more than once, and there's no convincing people like yourself otherwise. So there really is no point in arguing with that goal anymore.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Talk is cheap.

So far, Wilson's not concerned enough about his fellow players' safety to actually change, so nobody cares whether he has a private candlelight vigil for every brain he scrambles with a predatory hit. Fans of every team outside of Washington will rejoice when they see a guy like Reaves blow him up all game long, culminating in a long slow skate to the bench with baby deer legs.

Reactions: Lesky

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Reaves linemate Bellemare should be suspended 2-3 games for his blatant head shot today on clifford . Unfortunately I think Cliffy is done for life this time . He’s had terrible concussions before and never been the same this will be his 3rd or 4th . I hope he leaves the game having won 2 Cups .

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
TW disagrees with two of the four suspensions
Which is why DOPS had him sit for half a week while they continuously explained things to him.
Hopefully he finally gets it, and forgets how cool Butch Goring looked in his toy helmet.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Two dirty hits? You mean Seney? Well that sure shows your bias.

This article was written after his recent suspension when he was scoring and definitely not headhunting. The only thing that happened since then was the Seney incident which was nothing and incidental contact. Even Seney, who was not injured and kept playing, said it was not a headshot. The Caps coach confirmed the play as I and others described it, which was Wilson following his man down to the puck.

TW disagrees with two of the four suspensions, and none have come in a regular season game. I agree with his assessments regarding the first suspension, which I believe was intended to get him on the books and send a message, and his dispute with the ZAR suspension which was shoulder/shoulder and voluntary contact for both players.

But here's what's going to happen since we're making predictions...

TW is going to come back and try to play it clean like he did after the recent suspension. He may or may not score at the same hot clip due to the injury but he will still be a target of the league, players like Reaves, and people like YOU.

Which means that the next time there's a Seney-like incident where someone throws himself to the ice clutching his face despite no face contact, the same angry mobs will show up and declare Wilson "the same old dirty POS he's always been" and that will become the narrative, regardless of facts. Why? Because it's already happened more than once, and there's no convincing people like yourself otherwise. So there really is no point in arguing with that goal anymore.

He’s a dirty player. Dirty players don’t change, because that’s how they are wired.

Keep telling yourself he’s going to change, it’s cute.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Which is why DOPS had him sit for half a week while they continuously explained things to him.
Hopefully he finally gets it, and forgets how cool Butch Goring looked in his toy helmet.

You see, when there's ample evidence of wrongdoing but the accused strongly and vehemently disagrees, it doesn't have any merit. Whatever you say about Wilson, don't say he hasn't picked up a thing or two in Washington.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Ok you've finally answered my question in a way that tells me you don't know what you're talking about on this subject. All you can do is defend the superficial, emotional overreactions of haters while pretending to know about the actual players involved. Thanks.
Funnier and funnier...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad