No Supplemental Discipline for Reaves hit on Wilson

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Here's the thing you and the rest of the Capitals fans don't understand...you don't get to say this with any amount of credibility. Whether you like it or not, Tom Wilson has removed your ability to make this argument. 100%.

If there was equal outrage from the Caps fans when he hit ZAR, Sundqvist, Seney, etc, it would be different. But nope. Instead, you (as a fanbase) double, triple, and quadrupled down on it and defended him for it. What were clearly illegal hits resulting in significant injuries...you defended them as strong hockey plays...somehow "not illegal"..."oh it was a fraction of an inch lower than the head so technically it's the shoulder"..."don't watch your pass"..."shouldn't be suspendable"...and so on. You hitched your wagon to this horse. You don't get to cry outrage now. It's not the way it works. At all. Whether you like it or not. You just don't get to do that.

While none of us want to see any player get hurt, this is the corner you have placed yourselves in and you have no one but yourselves and Wilson to thank for it. It's like seeing a video watching the bully get knocked out. Do you feel sorry for the bully if he starts whining about bullying? I don't.

There is only one route. Use this as a learning experience. Swallow your pride, takes your lumps like men, and think about how you will react to Wilson's next antics (and yes, there will more antics with him, 100% guaranteed). Will you defend it? Or will you recall these threads and choose the better path and call for justice?

Think about that...because you will not receive justice in this thread. Wilson is not deserving of justice...and neither are those that have gone to the ends of the earth to defend him. Accept it. Move on. And next time, know better. I hope Wilson learns from this as well. The VAST majority of fans understand what kind of a player he is and know that his antics frequently cross a line. As disappointing as it is when the league is actively trying to get it out of the game...yet he chooses to do it deliberately, willfully, and negligently. So again...he's removed your ability to suddenly start calling for justice and to say how bad it is when people get hurt why those hits. Can't have your cake and eat it to.

I really don't see why not, Penguins fans have been a non-stop exhibition on how to do exactly that for the last decade or two.

This is some sanctimonious garbage coming from that fanbase specifically. Genuinely tickles me to no end that Penguins fans have appointed themselves the sheriffs of the NHL, having their cake and eating it too in the process.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
I really don't see why not, Penguins fans have been a non-stop exhibition on how to do exactly that for the last decade or two.

This is some sanctimonious garbage coming from that fanbase specifically. Genuinely tickles me to no end that Penguins fans have appointed themselves the sheriffs of the NHL, having their cake and eating it too in the process.
I also found it funny that Seney was put in there as an “example”. Nope, no axe to grind here!

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

You don't get to blame other fanbases. This is your mess and Wilson's mess.

No more "whatabout-ism". You need to own this. This is the most disappointing part of the reaction here. If the Caps fans came in, owned it, and denounced Wilson...this would be a completely different thread. But you didn't. Like I said, you hitched your wagon to the defend Wilson horse. That has consequences. Pointing fingers at other fan bases does nothing to justify Wilson and it does nothing to get you sympathy points for the current situation you are in. It in fact, makes you look worse.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I also found it funny that Seney was put in there as an “example”. Nope, no axe to grind here!

If it wasn't 8 games after his 20 game ban, wouldn't have been a thing. But there was no better way to announce to the world that you didn't learn a thing than to do what he did there.

The only modern day comparable we have to Wilson, is Trevor Gillis.

Reactions: Lesky and egelband

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
If it wasn't 8 games after his 20 game ban, wouldn't have been a thing. But there was no better way to announce to the world that you didn't learn a thing than to do what he did there.

The only modern day comparable we have to Wilson, is Trevor Gillis.
First saying the Seney “hit” is an example of how bad Wilson is and now doubling down even though it is painfully obvious you don’t know basic hockey coverage.

Did you use Seal in the s/n to try and trick people into thinking you had hockey knowledge? I would say you googled hockey tough guys or something but that isn’t right. That would have resulted in better players than a career ECHL/AHL player. Also show me Wilson punching people on the ice or directly slamming heads into the ice?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
You don't get to blame other fanbases. This is your mess and Wilson's mess.

No more "whatabout-ism". You need to own this. This is the most disappointing part of the reaction here. If the Caps fans came in, owned it, and denounced Wilson...this would be a completely different thread. But you didn't. Like I said, you hitched your wagon to the defend Wilson horse. That has consequences. Pointing fingers at other fan bases does nothing to justify Wilson and it does nothing to get you sympathy points for the current situation you are in. It in fact, makes you look worse.
And Penguins fans have already hitched their own wagons. Pretty convenient that they suddenly get to sing a different tune, almost like having their cake (and riding it to playoff success) and eating it too? Almost like they're just one more fanbase who will excuse and hand-wave away what suits them, and aren't the HFBoards morality police.

If you want to call it finger pointing, whataboutism, or whatever other buzzwords you feel like using that's fine, but that's not what it is. It's simply asking you and your kind to cut the bull**** high-horse riding when you remain continuous examples of the very thing you're trying to ridicule Capitals fans for. If you need it put in some colloquial phrase to help you understand, you're the pot and we're the kettle. Maybe a pot with short term memory loss, or a vested interest in rewriting history, but nevertheless a pot in no place to pass judgment.

Reactions: Koized

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
And Penguins fans have already hitched their own wagons. Pretty convenient that they suddenly get to sing a different tune, almost like having their cake (and riding it to playoff success) and eating it too? Almost like they're just one more fanbase who will excuse and hand-wave away what suits them, and aren't the HFBoards morality police.

If you want to call it finger pointing, whataboutism, or whatever other buzzwords you feel like using that's fine, but that's not what it is. It's simply asking you and your kind to cut the bull**** high-horse riding when you remain continuous examples of the very thing you're trying to ridicule Capitals fans for. If you need it put in some colloquial phrase to help you understand, you're the pot and we're the kettle. Maybe a pot with short term memory loss, or a vested interest in rewriting history, but nevertheless a pot in no place to pass judgment.

giphy.gif

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA

I am not--seriously--trying to be a wise guy, but this is new for you. I am the first to admit that there have been times in which the Pens have lost the respect of the league (players, officials), most notably during the Cooke era--and they suffered for it. Because of Wilson, the Caps will not get the benefit of the doubt, ever. How many guys out with concussions do you have? Coincidence? Right. Just the way it is. The sooner you get this, the easier it will be for you to deal with.

Reactions: egelband

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I am not--seriously--trying to be a wise guy, but this is new for you. I am the first to admit that there have been times in which the Pens have lost the respect of the league (players, officials), most notably during the Cooke era--and they suffered for it. Because of Wilson, the Caps will not get the benefit of the doubt, ever. How many guys out with concussions do you have? Coincidence? Right. Just the way it is. The sooner you get this, the easier it will be for you to deal with.

So what you're telling me is if we get rid of Tom Wilson, then Kuznetsov can go around chopping off fingers and nut-spearing, and Backstrom can slewfoot and cheap shot all he wants, and nothing will happen, just like with your guys?

Meh, still pass.

Reactions: Koized

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
So what you're telling me is if we get rid of Tom Wilson, then Kuznetsov can go around chopping off fingers and nut-spearing, and Backstrom can slewfoot and cheap shot all he wants, and nothing will happen, just like with your guys?

Meh, still pass.

I think if you stop dealing out victim cards indiscriminately and read what I wrote untainted by a fairly robust persecution complex, you'll realize that's not what I'm saying at all. Not even close. You're going to have a hard time with this, I can tell.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think if you stop dealing out victim cards indiscriminately and read what I wrote untainted by a fairly robust persecution complex, you'll realize that's not what I'm saying at all. Not even close. You're going to have a hard time with this, I can tell.

Are you through? Get that nonsense out of your system? Good.

How many games of Wilson's 400+ have you actually watched?

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
This entire thread is Caps fans whining about the Reaves hit which the league decided is no worse than the Seney hit. So if it is ok to whine about the Reaves hit then the same is true for the Seney hit. It's really amusing how much a hit on Wilson that didn't draw any supplemental discipline has outraged the people who have routinely defended hits by Wilson that drew suspensions.

Reactions: Lesky and egelband

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Are you through? Get that nonsense out of your system? Good.

How many games of Wilson's 400+ have you actually watched?

What difference does that make? I am not even really talking about Wilson. My point is that when there is the belief, right or wrong, that a player does not respect other players, neither he, nor his team mates, will get the benefit of the doubt on any calls. That's my belief based on my experience as a pretty passionate hockey fan for many years. If you disagree with that premise, or you believe that Wilson has not lost the respect of rest of the league, then you're not going to come to the same conclusion as me--and I'm OK with that.

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Really not sure what Caps fans are trying to accomplish with this thread anymore. If they're still lobbying for a suspension the consensus was against it here and it wasn't a charge or a head shot and he wasn't thrown headfirst into the boards and it wasn't a particularly late hit and he didn't have his hat screwed on tight. I think the Caps announcers actually overplayed the 'blindside' and the irony is that Wilson never seemed to care all that much about running other players from their blindside. And then the NHL has already decided---no suspension. So even if you did have unanimous agreement here there isn't going to be a suspension and it's pretty much over as an event for 30 of the 31 NHL teams. You guys are just going to have to wait for your guy to return from his injury just like other teams have had to wait for their guys after Wilson injured them.

On the question of whether Tom Wilson is something more than just a goon and that being a pretty good player that should merit him more favorable consideration than Ryan Reaves who is more than less a legit 4th line player/tough guy. IMO no player should get special consideration for deliberately trying to injure another no matter whether they're Reaves, Wilson or Sidney Crosby. It doesn't always seem to work that way towards the upper end of the spectrum but Wilson's not really at the upper end of the spectrum anyway and his history of injuring other players with questionable hits is why he gets the scrutiny and the suspensions he does. So if you want a player like him---expect that he'll be suspended and targeted for retribution now and again. If you can live with the injuries he causes other opponents you can live with the injuries and suspensions he receives back.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
What difference does that make? I am not even really talking about Wilson. My point is that when there is the belief, right or wrong, that a player does not respect other players, neither he, nor his team mates, will get the benefit of the doubt on any calls. That's my belief based on my experience as a pretty passionate hockey fan for many years. If you disagree with that premise, or you believe that Wilson has not lost the respect of rest of the league, then you're not going to come to the same conclusion as me--and I'm OK with that.

Ok you've finally answered my question in a way that tells me you don't know what you're talking about on this subject. All you can do is defend the superficial, emotional overreactions of haters while pretending to know about the actual players involved. Thanks.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Ok you've finally answered my question in a way that tells me you don't know what you're talking about on this subject. All you can do is defend the superficial, emotional overreactions of haters while pretending to know about the actual players involved. Thanks.

You actually had a question? I thought it was textbook sophistry. I am defending nothing, I really don't care that much about the cast, its the story that's interesting. For a while anyway.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You actually had a question? I thought it was textbook sophistry.

You would know, calling people delusional when they have a greater knowledge of a subject than you, and falling back on appeals to common practice.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
You would know, calling people delusional when they have a greater knowledge of a subject than you, and falling back on appeals to common practice.

Help me out. As far as I can tell, your question is "does everyone agree with me the league is biased against TW and wants hitting out of the league so its open season on the Caps." Seriously that's the best I can glean from your numerous, emotional posts.

So, to your question, I answer "No," accompanied by reasons why I believes such is the case.

So, yours really isn't a question. Its a statement and everyone who doesn't agree with it is a hater and wrong.

You really have options: 1) accept people disagree with you for really valid reasons, or 2) continue to break off the birch branches and flagellate yourself silly while wallowing in self-pity and righteous indignation. Either way, enjoy your day.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Help me out. As far as I can tell, your question is "does everyone agree with me the league is biased against TW and wants hitting out of the league so its open season on the Caps." Seriously that's the best I can glean from your numerous, emotional posts.

So, to your question, I answer "No," accompanied by reasons why I believes such is the case.

So, yours really isn't a question. Its a statement and everyone who doesn't agree with it is a hater and wrong.

You really have options: 1) accept people disagree with you for really valid reasons, or 2) continue to break off the birch branches and flagellate yourself silly while wallowing in self-pity and righteous indignation. Either way, enjoy your day.

Not even close. Waste someone else's time.

fragmag

Mar 4, 2011
Pittsburgh
If watching Wilson getting a taste of his own medicine wasn't enough, we now have this thread full of Wilson apologists to read. W4in Win!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->