Post-Game Talk: No sugar coating it we are bad, Jets lose 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
I don't know if this is fair, by all accounts he is a very good person that has helped a lot of players out with off ice issues. He's also helped integrate a lot of talented kids over the years and helped instill a professional level fitness and conditioning and practice standards. I think he only has a few systems and methods that are better suited for a certain type of roster. I think he is out of his depth and way out of his comfort zone coaching such a skilled team that likes to make risky plays to create offense. He no longer has an elite defense as a safety net so imo he is overcompensating by putting in restrictions to limit the risk to a level that is tolerable to him as a person.

I think he is a good coach for a fast and heavy team but doesn't understand the nuances of puck possession hockey that requires excellent puck support and attacking as 5 man units in the offensive end.

you dont know that for a fact...being a good person has little if anything about being able to coach a professional team and his record substantiates the premise he is not a intelligent coach....not able to adapt during games or series...player usage...as far as off ice issues, i look at the accident sammi niko had during training camp and the forthcoming incident with huddy at a practice, communictaion may not be one of his so called better assets

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Even Strength. Josh 3 g 9 a. Derek 2 g 9 a. Keep blaming all of the offense woe on guys like Forbort, Poolman, and even Stanley. It's not what they're in the lineup for. But Josh on the other hand.... I believe it's unfair to put offensive responsibilities or blame at the feet of D. But when most of you guys do, you'd swear that Morrissey has 100 points and guys like Forbort have 2.
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. I didn't single anyone out. It's a fact that the Jets d are near or at the bottom for defense production in the NHL and I was just pointing that out as a problem

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
you dont know that for a fact...being a good person has little if anything about being able to coach a professional team and his record substantiates the premise he is not a intelligent coach....not able to adapt during games or series...player usage

Yes I do because players like Mathias have come out and said so.

I agree that he isn't a modern coach and hasn't been able to adapt to the modern game. I wouldn't say that makes him unintelligent just not the right coach for this team.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
you dont know that for a fact...

We basically know it for a fact... when have you last heard a player or someone in the media talk negatively about him? On the other hand you've had players like Matthias crediting him for helping him get through mental health issues.

Maurice may or may not be the guy to lead the Jets going forward but the criticism doesn't need to be personal. Losing games does not make you a bad person.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. I didn't single anyone out. It's a fact that the Jets d are near or at the bottom for defense production in the NHL and I was just pointing that out as a problem

Hard to produce when the game plan is to launch long range shots from the point with a forward core that doesn't seem to like to stand infront of the net to screen or tip pucks.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
wow..one player....when was the last time u heard any player talk negatively about their head coach!!

Reactions: Mbraunm

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
Knuckles thinks no way jets fire Maurice. My god he better be wrong again.
Not saying he shouldn’t be but I agree with knuckles. I believe relationships trump winning with Jets ownership and they appear to love Maurice.

I think it’s more likely they let him finish the last year of his contract and then they sit down as a group and discuss with Maurice where they go next. IF Maurice ever goes it’ll be a well orchestrated elegant pat on the back exit.

No abrupt firing for Maurice. He is Jets family.

Edit: I also think dollars trump winning so if sell outs continue (post COVID) and they will, then there is less motivation to ice a winning product.

Of course they want to win. But it looks to me to be a close 3rd on True North’s priority list.

So I think any sudden knee jerk firing of Maurice is wishful thinking. And he looks like a guy that knows that. To my eyes.

Last edited:

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Yes I do because players like Mathias have come out and said so.

I agree that he isn't a modern coach and hasn't been able to adapt to the modern game. I wouldn't say that makes him unintelligent just not the right coach for this team.

one player isnt saying much..ur grasping at straws...considering all the teams he has coached...not being able to adapt and evolve to coach a modern system/game hardly makes him intelligent.....and what team in this 21st century would he be able to coach

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not saying he shouldn’t be but I agree with knuckles. I believe relationships trump winning with Jets ownership and they appear to love Maurice.

I think it’s more likely they let him finish the last year of his contract and then they sit down as a group and discuss with Maurice where they go next. IF Maurice ever goes it’ll be a well orchestrated elegant pat on the back exit.

No abrupt firing for Maurice. He is Jets family.

Money trumps everything and if the Jets lose out and don't make any changes, how much confidence do you think that gives fans that the team will be worth spending a lot of money on coming out of a pandemic when most of the population will be in a worse financial position. I think the org is very cognizant of the fact that they will likely need to put a good product on the ice to get butts in the seat until the economy recovers.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I sense Paul Maurice is really a great guy....

His background as a Pro' hockey player sets a basis...

But "Love Is Action" is what pays the bills, carries the freight, excites the fans, makes the kwan ...

Some of the most impressive persons I have known have not been great guys/girls ...

Those persons Act' on what needs to be done... and they have empathy... care... are tolerant...

But those Act's are always those things that meet the end goal for "those in the culture" those that believe in said culture...

In this PC' world... that thought is antiquated, evil... but that's the difference between resentful persons... and those accomplishing things together...

Paul is good with words...

Not so much with the Actions... the Results so to say...

The Love... not so much...

Quotation-Yogi-Berra-Keep-trying-Stay-humble-Trust-your-instincts-Most-importantly-act-54-29-65.jpg

And like Yogi says... "When you come to a fork in the road, take it"...

Have courage...

Last edited:

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
He definitely is not a good coach for many reasons - from poor deployment, inability to make meaningful in-game adjustments, archaic defensive zone system, stagnant special teams systems, not holding everyone equally accountable, over-favouring of vets to the detriment of the team, and on and on and on. However, I really like him as a person and it is inappropriate to judge him as a human being simply because he isn’t a good coach.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
one player isnt saying much..ur grasping at straws...considering all the teams he has coached...not being able to adapt and evolve to coach a modern system/game hardly makes him intelligent.....and what team in this 21st century would he be able to coach

A team like Vegas or St. Louis he would have a good amount of success with imo. I think he would do ok with a team like Calgary or Montreal as well.

A good many players have listed him as one of the best coaches they have played for. You can look it up if you don't believe me. He is very good to his players and generally treats them with a lot of respect.

I agree that it is time to move on and have wanted to since 2019 but I am not going to smear the person. I disagree with his coaching philosophy and tactics for this group and I will just leave it at that.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Money trumps everything and if the Jets lose out and don't make any changes, how much confidence do you think that gives fans that the team will be worth spending a lot of money on coming out of a pandemic when most of the population will be in a worse financial position. I think the org is very cognizant of the fact that they will likely need to put a good product on the ice to get butts in the seat until the economy recovers.

They are asking for season ticket renewals right now.

Change better be coming because even hardcore jets fans have lost hope.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
He definitely is not a good coach for many reasons - from poor deployment, inability to make meaningful in-game adjustments, archaic defensive zone system, stagnant special teams systems, not holding everyone equally accountable, over-favouring of vets to the detriment of the team, and on and on and on. However, I really like him as a person and it is inappropriate to judge him as a human being simply because he isn’t a good coach.

all i have said that as a coach, he not very intelligent!!

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
A team like Vegas or St. Louis he would have a good amount of success with imo. I think he would do ok with a team like Calgary or Montreal as well.

A good many players have listed him as one of the best coaches they have played for. You can look it up if you don't believe me. He is very good to his players and generally treats them with a lot of respect.

I agree that it is time to move on and have wanted to since 2019 but I am not going to smear the person. I disagree with his coaching philosophy and tactics for this group and I will just leave it at that.

i have said as a coach he is not intelligent and all u need to do is look at ur posts in this thread seem to confirm that

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They are asking for season ticket renewals right now.

Change better be coming because even hardcore jets fans have lost hope.

In 19-20 I had very little if any fun at the rink watching whatever you wanted to call that product on the ice.

Its not that complicated, put an exciting team that plays to its strengths on the ice and fans will pack the building. We have the talent to win while playing good hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->