No restaurants? Pffffft. What are you cooking tonight?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Pulled beef came out pretty good too. Probably could have let it push past 200 a bit longer. Some of the fat didn't completely render, but no big deal. Just picked that little bit out. Will throw some BBQ sauce in for tomorrow.View attachment 346438

How’d it turn out post BBQ sauce?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Another thing I love about this thread is that it inspires me to try cooking things I've never made before. I've never made homemade ribs before. I bought ingredients for mango chicken today that I'll be cooking tomorrow, but I know what I'm making next after that.
We had mango/coconut chicken over rice, today!
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 1

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
@snipes a pork chop worthy of Alberta...1.5 lb'er bone in! Seasoned with salt, pepper, onion powder, oregano, then butter with garlic. Seared all the sides then thru into the oven to cook the inside. Once almost done, added BBQ sauce and put it on broil. My god this was good!
View attachment 346724
View attachment 346725
View attachment 346726
View attachment 346727 View attachment 346728 View attachment 346729
View attachment 346730

That looks fantastic. Thawing some pork chops. hah!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Me too. Out of curiosity, do you just guesstimate when a chop that size is done, or did you probe it?
I went with 8 minutes on both sides, then probed it. It wasn't quite done but I knew I was going to add the BBQ sauce and broil for another 3-4 minutes. And then let it sit for 5 minutes. Didn't bother probing it a 2nd time as I could see the juices were clear from the 1st probe spot.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Tried making piri piri chicken last night with salad and french bread. Wasn't a hit. Really need to flame-grill those puppies. Also I think I messed up the marinade/sauce. Used too much coconut milk.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Leftover pork....gotta make a sammich!

View attachment 346883
Not only bottled barbecue sauce, but Superstore brand bottled barbecue sauce.

No offense, but: :speechles :whaaa?: :shakehead :confused: :nono:

Quoted that picture to post approval of the sauce, then saw the next post after lol, so multi-quote it is.

PC Bacon and Maple is yummy. Pour a little Worcestershire sauce, some herbs/spices, and some lager into it and make yourself a marinade for a cheap cut of something, or put it in a pan, cube some chicken breast, sear the sides, then simmer in it until it's nice and tender and the sauce is thickened. Mix in some jasmine rice and baked veggies. Mm. I haven't done this before, but I've had that sauce and I bet it would be good like that (I've done similar things).

Recently I tried making an irish whiskey based sauce the 'proper' way, from scratch. I've made it before. Used slightly too much apple cider vinegar this time, but it was delicious. Unfortunately, my plan was to use it in making a brisket. It was my first time even finding brisket cut in Eastern Canada, and I was trying to figure it out myself. The sauce didn't bake with it how I was hoping. Ended up really tasty, but major fail for what I had in mind for an outcome. Was a good day, grocery store had 'use today' sales for bison steak @ $10 off, steaks were $12 before, so $2 each. Grabbed a bunch, the brisket was half off, too.

When I get home this morning I have pizza waiting for me... Going to be back to healthier for a while after, a bit boring, but. Baked salmon fillet and brown rice/veggies for a few suppers. Eggs, natural peanut butter for a snack. Chicken breast, more rice, more veggies, raw almonds for snacks.

When I posted in here a while back I didn't see any pictures. Seems to be common now. Maybe I'll post some later.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
The wife and mother in law are using their power in numbers on me today and making demands for eggs Benedict again lol.

Going with a chicken, mushroom, spinach, and onions eggs benny this morning with micro greens on top. Homemade hollandaise, diced potatoes in the air fryer (air fryers are awesome FYI I highly recommend getting one for all the foodies up in here), and mango smoothie as well.

Now that I’m capitulating, I’m making demands for all my white shirts to be ironed even though court appearances for my clients are few and far between these days in Alberta.
Air fryer is bae, ever since we picked ours up we’ve completely neglected the oven. It’s either air fryer, bbq or smoker

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Tried making piri piri chicken last night with salad and french bread. Wasn't a hit. Really need to flame-grill those puppies. Also I think I messed up the marinade/sauce. Used too much coconut milk.

Yeah any type of piri piri chicken definitely needs a flame grill to be made properly.

Speaking of which, I just got a Weber BBQ, a little expensive but man does it cook so nicely.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah any type of piri piri chicken definitely needs a flame grill to be made properly.

Speaking of which, I just got a Weber BBQ, a little expensive but man does it cook so nicely.

quality seems to matter when buying a good bbq, those cheap ones just aren’t built to last. In the end you’re better off buying the more expensive one

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
PC's Lamb Thing

Usually I don't like to use too many strong flavours with lamb. This recipe is the exception.

2 frenched lamb racks (or butterflied lamb leg, or whatever big chunk of lamb you want to eat, about 4 lbs)
1/2 cup of dijonaisse (or dijon mustard, or whatever mix of the two you have lying around in the fridge)
1 tbsp seasoning salt or steak spice mix
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tbsp dried parsley
3 cloves minced garlic
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all the dried spices in a small bowl, then grind in mortal and pestle or coffee grinder until smooth. Mix the wet ingredients together, stir vigorously, then add the dried spices to the mix. Stir until a uniform colour.
On a baking tray, season the lamb generously with the salt and pepper, then add the mix. Slather the mix all over it. Rub it it. Tell the lamb you're going to eat it and it'll taste great. Cover with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for up to 2 hours. Take it out a half hour before you cook or grill it. Grill at medium-low heat for 45 minutes, turning and basting with olive oil occasionally. I usually like it medium rare, personally.

Serve with:

PC's Galiano Potatoes

3-4 Whatever potatoes you like. Russet, Yukon Gold, Red, go nuts.
2 tbsp Olive oil
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried rosemary

Wash and peel potatoes, then cut into 1" cubes. In a large bowl, combine spices and oil. Add the potatoes. Toss until evenly coated. Spread into glass baking pan, try not to crowd them.
Bake at 400F for about 45 minutes or until golden brown and soft. Turn halfway through.

Lamb Thing pics from the other day:

20200521_113858[1].jpg

^^Sauce/marinade done and slathered, ready for a few hours in the fridge.

20200521_183407[1].jpg

^^That's after seven minutes per side on the grill pan on high heat. Ready for resting. After 5 minutes, it's at just a little under medium.

20200521_184114[1].jpg

^^All ready for devouring. Served with a light cucumber salad and baked potato.

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Not only bottled barbecue sauce, but Superstore brand bottled barbecue sauce.

No offense, but: :speechles :whaaa?: :shakehead :confused: :nono:
Truth is, that was my first time having it. The wife bought it as she likes the maple flavour more than me. But it was actually good and not too sweet. Personally, I get the BullsEye brand: Sweet and Sticky is great!

I have never made my own BBQ sauce from scratch. I do however mix different ones together to get the flavour that I want on any certain day.

Oh...and Superstore brand BBQ sauce Smokin' Stampede is great too! So is the potato chips with the same flavour. Oh and the ribs. Yeah...I like it, but the wife finds it too spicy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->