"No Progress" AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
How is it possible that since Linden took initiative to bring the sides together there have been over 50 hours of talks and each and every time "no progress" is reported by both sides...I mean, what the hell are these guys talking about during these meetings...how can you meet and talk for dozens of hours and not even come out with anything...what can they possible talk about in meetings that run for 6 hours, 7 hours, 9 hours!!!...what am i not understanding here...I would love to be a fly on the way and see what goes on during these "meetings"

st5801

Jan 31, 2005
nyrmessier011 said:
how can you meet and talk for dozens of hours and not even come out with anything...what can they possible talk about in meetings that run for 6 hours, 7 hours, 9 hours!!!...what am i not understanding here...I would love to be a fly on the way and see what goes on during these "meetings"
1) order lunch - 1 hour
2) order dinner- 1 hour
3) caucus and stall tactics- 3 hours+

This leaves only a few hours of face-to-face meeting, where one side presents their proposal in detail or makes their case in detail, they caucus, then the other side presents, they caucus, etc.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Scene: Cut to July, an impass is declared and replacement workers are brought in. Some players begin to cross the lines. NHLPA files a complaint with the NLRB.

NLRB: So NHL, what have you got to say for yourself?

NHL, putting on its best martyr face: We made proposal after proposal, and in the last three days before we were forced by one proposal NHLPA to sadly cancel the season, we had 50 frantic hours of talks and each and every time the NHLPA gave us no proposals, "no progress." *deep sad sigh*

The three Bush appointees on the NLRB: You poor put upon organization. Clearly you went that extra mile and then some. Carry on.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
nyrmessier011 said:
sorry...am looking for responses though...what do you guys think? why is "no progress" coming out of 50 hours of talks..something is not right
Honestly i would be surprised if they actually communicated with eachother for even half that time.I'm sure they bounce ideas off eachother and retreat to private areas to discuss suggestions amongst their respective groups and return with answers or counter offers.
And when you look at the scope of what they need to accomplish and factor in the sizeable gap that appears to exist between the two sides i would say even 50 hours is a trivial amount of time to negotiate a CBA.Its not like they are simply tweaking the previous CBA,the NHL is looking for wholesale changes.Thats a mighty long steep hill to climb.
I would say 50 hours may be sufficient time to clarify a few outstanding issues once the fundamentals of a new CBA have been agreed upon.

ResidentAlien*

Jaded-Fan said:
Scene: Cut to July, an impass is declared and replacement workers are brought in. Some players begin to cross the lines. NHLPA files a complaint with the NLRB.

NLRB: So NHL, what have you got to say for yourself?

NHL, putting on its best martyr face: We made proposal after proposal, and in the last three days before we were forced by one proposal NHLPA to sadly cancel the season, we had 50 frantic hours of talks and each and every time the NHLPA gave us no proposals, "no progress." *deep sad sigh*

The three Bush appointees on the NLRB: You poor put upon organization. Clearly you went that extra mile and then some. Carry on.

Now, having played Hockey most of my life, I consider myself, albeit foolishly at times, on the PA side but what the H.E. double hockey sticks does bush have to do with this?
I cant see how any US appointed official in this age would find different.
Note I specified US official

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
ResidentAlien said:
Now, having played Hockey most of my life, I consider myself, albeit foolishly at times, on the PA side but what the H.E. double hockey sticks does bush have to do with this?
Bush is a former owner of the Texas Rangers.... was an owner during the lockout of 1994.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
ResidentAlien said:

Bush appointed the current NLRB and as such it is a Republican " pro business" board.

I just hope the NHLPA aren't hiding any weapons of Mass destruction!:)

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Chayos1 said:
Bush appointed the current NLRB and as such it is a Republican " pro business" board.

I just hope the NHLPA aren't hiding any weapons of Mass destruction!:)
Fox News reports that Toronto Maple Leaf Bryan McCabe has ties to terrorism. Later in the day, he was detained and sent to Guantanamo Bay.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i also have a hard time accepting that they sit in these rooms for hours without something happening. with a straight face, i think they are too smart for that. i wouldnt leak progress at this point either. if it can still go either way, all the hoopla round a positive report could only screw things up.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
futurcorerock said:
Fox News reports that Toronto Maple Leaf Bryan McCabe has ties to terrorism. Later in the day, he was detained and sent to Guantanamo Bay.

Is Guantanamo Bay in the AHL? :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad