Post-Game Talk: No pity, Discuss (Habs 5 -2 Sens)

POTM (06/12/2018)

• Total voters

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I've decided to roll with the inevitability. This way I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong.

Yes I've always been a pessimist. I used to use the anology with my family regarding snow days in public school.
I would state that no way I'd get a snow day despite getting 30cm or something and my parents would be like " Be more positive" I stated its better to be negative here.
1) Snowday doesn't happen, well I expected that anyways, no let down
2) snowday happens, I didn't think it was going to happen yet it did. Pleasantly surprised.

#winning!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I am more surprised at our GA. Wasn't expecting that at the beginning of the season either.

Not much Price could do with that D in front of him. Petry and Juulsen with paired up with a bunch of 3rd pairing guys. Weber back has stabilized things. But people need to realize the impact of having Reilly, Benn, Schlemko, Quellet, Mete, playing in your top 4D. People expect Price to carry us. We don't have the D we had before so it's different. Now, I do like how it's shaping out lately....

Kulak / Weber
???? / Petry
Reilly / Juulsen.

I prefer to move Petry or Juulsen to the left side and pair them up but I'm also willing to see what piece we can get to play with Petry. Schlemko, Benn, and Quellet should be depth players.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes I've always been a pessimist. I used to use the anology with my family regarding snow days in public school.
I would state that no way I'd get a snow day despite getting 30cm or something and my parents would be like " Be more positive" I stated its better to be negative here.
1) Snowday doesn't happen, well I expected that anyways, no let down
2) snowday happens, I didn't think it was going to happen yet it did. Pleasantly surprised.

#winning!

Yeah but the whining about it is not the right "attitude" ;).

Everybody has their own prerogatives I guess.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Very true! I think 99.9% of the Habs fan base thought the same heading into the season. I think the key here is rolling 3 solid lines and balanced scoring. If you are the other coach, what line to you target?

No way many people had Domi at the level he's playing at even with his hot finish last year. Drouin didn't show the determination he's bringing to games this year and he can do more particularly if we add some movement to our PP. Tatar was terribly underrated despite being a solid hockey player. I can still hear the argument that we were never going to be able to replace Patch's goals. Simple math told me two implicated twenties was already better than a streaky 35 goal scorer who fades in and out. I'm not ready to concede a playoff position to this group but a strong road record this month may tip that scale.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No way many people had Domi at the level he's playing at even with his hot finish last year. Drouin didn't show the determination he's bringing to games this year and he can do more particularly if we add some movement to our PP. Tatar was terribly underrated despite being a solid hockey player. I can still hear the argument that we were never going to be able to replace Patch's goals. Simple math told me two implicated twenties was already better than a streaky 35 goal scorer who fades in and out. I'm not ready to concede a playoff position to this group but a strong road record this month may tip that scale.

Domi: Yup, I was one of the ones on the lack of goal scoring ability bandwagon
Drouin: I always said for a while now... We only see his true potential and production depending on the skill we surround him with.
Tatar: I didn't consider him a cap dump. But hey, I'd be lieing if I said that I thought he would be doing as good as he is.

Top 3 lines: I personally said the Habs strength is depth and rolling 3 lines. Didn't expect the 5/5 production though

Middle of the pack strategy: I said anywheres from 5-18 range potential pick. I preferred to tank but I also though with our pride/rebound/healthier roster year, we would be battleing for a playoff spot.

I underestimated how good we were slightly. Now I think we get a 10-18 range pick... ir we don't get major injuries to key players. I wasn't buying that we were a bottom 5 team for sure cause I factored in health and the "right attitude" in a rebound/pride year.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Domi: Yup, I was one of the ones on the lack of goal scoring ability bandwagon
Drouin: I always said for a while now... We only see his true potential and production depending on the skill we surround him with.
Tatar: I didn't consider him a cap dump. But hey, I'd be lieing if I said that I thought he would be doing as good as he is.

Top 3 lines: I personally said the Habs strength is depth and rolling 3 lines. Didn't expect the 5/5 production though

Middle of the pack strategy: I said anywheres from 5-18 range potential pick. I preferred to tank but I also though with our pride/rebound/healthier roster year, we would be battleing for a playoff spot.

I underestimated how good we were slightly. Now I think we get a 10-18 range pick... ir we don't get major injuries to key players. I wasn't buying that we were a bottom 5 team for sure cause I factored in health and the "right attitude" in a rebound/pride year.

FYI tank talk is illegal now....

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
FYI tank talk is illigal now....

It's not illegal if you read the entire post. It's not allowed if you push it too far. I could be wrong but you can say I preferred us to tank but also not jump on others who want us to win games. I think this was the point. All I did in the post you read is mentioned what my preference was to start the year. I'm not going to try and dominate a thread by saying it over and over again.

The point was to allow the fans who want us to win to have a thread where they won't get jumped on for saying positive things. I always have given respect to those fans.

In other words, What's stopping a Leafs fan from creating a fake account pretending to be a Habs fan and talking about how much we suck? If we allowed this kind of attitude, it opens the door for it.

I understand the approach the mods took and I agree with it. These are Habs boards and the positive outlook or hoping we should win games vs lose should be respected.

I'm certainly not upset with the Habs beating up on the Sens in back to back games. But ask me at the end of the year what this season meant to us in terms of becoming cup contenders in the future?

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
Looks like Julien has found his fourth line. Ever since they've been put together this line has been good. Even dominating the opposition in stretches

Armia's return gonna complicate the lines combinations a bit. I think Agostino and DLo deserve to play. They are wingers. They need a centerman. Chaput is doing a decent job so far but he is not a long term solution either. At worst, and I think he could not like it at all, Shaw could be that 4th line centerman. OR, MB gonna try to find a better centerman than Chaput or Peca to pivot that 4th line.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
After 35% of the season gone, here is where we stand.

We will be battling the Sabres and Bruins for the bottom 2 wild card spots IMO. Definitely playing more entertaining hockey but this reeks of either just missing the playoffs or getting knocked out in the 1st round.

Eh... the best of those teams will finish in the Top-3 in the Atlantic, so I'm not quite sure I'm understanding what you're saying here.

I don't know why you're taking for granted that Toronto will continue to be bailed out by their unsustainable goaltending. Freddy stops the puck will eventually stop working and they'll eventually have serious issues comes Matthews' inevitable next injury.
(Notice that I'm not better on that front)

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Even though he scored , Pacioretty never really brought anything else to the table. There’s a reason he’s called invisible and Casper. I keep saying, he’s not a good hockey player. He scores. That’s it. If the guys you mentioned net in the 20’s each, and make players around them better and help change the attitude of the team, I’d take them anyway over a 35 goal pacioretty.
It would be truly amazing to see these guys get close to their projected point totals.
The way that teams are producing, it feels closer and closer to the 80’s type of production.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
Overall a good game from the boys... They seem to have found their stride the last couple of games with some key returning players already contributing .. Rack up those points for that... *playoff push* against teams that are basically gimmes.

However I will be extremely upset if Marc decides this is "OUR YEAR" and decides to sell the farm for some D talent that hurts us long term.. Every win pushes us closer to this reality and that troubles me a great deal.

With that said, it was a good entertaining game by the guys.
Last time we were in that position or even better, he traded for Ott,Martinsen and King... I'd say don't worry about the farm being sold!

Reactions: Censored Toad

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
Even though he scored , Pacioretty never really brought anything else to the table. There’s a reason he’s called invisible and Casper. I keep saying, he’s not a good hockey player. He scores. That’s it. If the guys you mentioned net in the 20’s each, and make players around them better and help change the attitude of the team, I’d take them anyway over a 35 goal pacioretty.
It would be truly amazing to see these guys get close to their projected point totals.
The way that teams are producing, it feels closer and closer to the 80’s type of production.
I mean Pacioretty is an amazing complimentary player but not a player to build a team around. If you have him on your second line and getting top PP minutes you likely have a pretty good team.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I love him

You know something? Theo Fluery is one of my all time favorite players because of his skill and unbridled passion. Domi is going to be up there in my books as well if he keeps this up! LOL gritty little bastard.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
The fans here who think that this is funny are the same fans who would be complaining and whining and crying about this if the roles were reversed,

It's not funny at all, it's childish, immature, and inappropriate,

But when I look at who it's coming from I completely understand....like father, like son

Waiiiiin

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Eh... the best of those teams will finish in the Top-3 in the Atlantic, so I'm not quite sure I'm understanding what you're saying here.

I don't know why you're taking for granted that Toronto will continue to be bailed out by their unsustainable goaltending. Freddy stops the puck will eventually stop working and they'll eventually have serious issues comes Matthews' inevitable next injury.

Leafs and Tampa battle for the 1/2 spots. Bruins, Habs, Sabres battle for the 3rd spot and last two wild card spots. Understand now?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Leafs and Tampa battle for the 1/2 spots. Bruins, Habs, Sabres battle for the 3rd spot and last two wild card spots. Understand now?

- Well, that makes 3 teams battling for three spots, in which case, no one misses :)

- Otherwise, I refer you back to my point about Toronto. They're, at this moment, unsustainably good.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
and they'll eventually have serious issues comes Matthews' inevitable next injury.

Yeah because they were so horrible the last time Matthews was out right? :rolleyes:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
- Well, that makes 3 teams battling for three spots, in which case, no one misses :)

- Otherwise, I refer you back to my point about Toronto. They're, at this moment, unsustainably good.

Yes, but battle is the key word here. There are other teams that could come into the mix for the last two wild card spots.

As far as the Lafts, I understand. But they do have a good team with a great coach (like it or not). Can they stay healthy on D and in net? We will see

Reactions: MXD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->