Post-Game Talk: No pity, Discuss (Habs 5 -2 Sens)

POTM (06/12/2018)

• Total voters

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
TBH I enjoy it, so far. Ive enjoyed my semester, but these last two weeks are rough. Like really rough.

Couldve been better prepared, too. I somewhat slacked out. Oh well, I did learn from it at least.

I wish I could say the same. I never liked University at all, the actual education part of it I mean. I went to almost every class and did every assignment and studied my ass off for every midterm and final, and was miserable the entire time. I don't miss having 7 exams in one week, and basically picking which exam you are going to bomb because there is just not enough time in the day to study for it. Hating school made the grind feel a lot harder, so it probably helps if you don't hate it lol

I liked college a lot better than University, but that's probably because it felt like a breeze after 4 years of educational hell.

Reactions: WhiskeySeven*

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
How much is it now ? 60 000 $ with tuition+boarding ? I don't even get how you can get approved for a loan for that, wouldn't someone need a 250 000$ credit line just to get through an undergrad program.
Yeah it's insane. I mean I've been working as much as I could, and tried to work 2 jobs over the summer to save up. It's still a lot. The unfortunate thing is that the medical school acceptance rate here is so low that I couldn't believe it the first time. Not saying that it's the same story for all, but my friend got declined at med school here but went on and got accepted with ease to a much better school in UCLA.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I've been watching the Habs since the early 90s, so basically every trade I've lived through has been a disaster. It all started with Chelios and somehow it's been going downhill since, which I never thought would be possible. We've had the odd gems like Souray, Gorges+Pacioretty and, of course, Kovalev, but the norms been a solid penetration with no vaseline.

This trade though, with the caveat its still reallllll soon, is my favorite. Domi is just awesome.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think everyone who gets into a science undergrad has their "welcome to university" moment. Like, looking at the first page of your exam, then the 8 other and coming to the realization that you legitimately can't answer any of them.
My first term was brutal for me and most people I knew. So easy to get distracted with parties and other stuff. The high school approach of studying for an exam the night before backfired miserably. Thankfully I took the rest of my terms seriously and my grades have done a complete 180.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
lol.

I remember that moment when I realized weeks 1 and 2 were a review of everything we learned in CEGEP, only more in depth. And that every week would have as much course material.
Yeah, thats so damn true.

All of this couldve been easily dodged if I just finished my last semester of cegep, but what the hell, Ill tough it out.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Yeah it's insane. I mean I've been working as much as I could, and tried to work 2 jobs over the summer to save up. It's still a lot. The unfortunate thing is that the medical school acceptance rate here is so low that I couldn't believe it the first time. Not saying that it's the same story for all, but my friend got declined at med school here but went on and got accepted with ease to a much better school in UCLA.

I can't speak for UCLA, but my experience is that it's more standardized here and it kind of reflects in scientific conferences, where you'll sometimes have much bigger discrepencies in quality within a same conference in the US.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Sometimes I miss the student life and being at University and College, but then I read posts like this (and others) and remember how stressful and busy it was. Then I remind myself that I just miss the parties and good times with friends, which I still enjoy (to a lesser extent of course) now that i'm out.

The grind was well worth it though.
That free gap between midterms and finals is the best time to be a student at University. I'm already looking forward to my reading break in Spring.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
You could always branch out in med school and come work at a 500K salary in Montreal. All it costs, basically, is having a life - nothing the average HFer isn't already wasting being here.
I'm in med school and still have a life :p didn't have much of one to get in though...

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I can't speak for UCLA, but my experience is that it's more standardized here and it kind of reflects in scientific conferences, where you'll sometimes have much bigger discrepencies in quality within a same conference in the US.
I'm sure what you are saying it's true. I also think that having so many more med schools in the US kind of influences this as well.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
I'm sure what you are saying it's true. I also think that having so many more med schools in the US kind of influences this as well.
From experience it is much easier to get into med in the US indeed. Number of schools and the fact that they're private, that they use rolling admissions, and that you can still get in with ok grades if you score well on the MCAT and are able to pay 50k per year, make it much easier than here that's for sure.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
That free gap between midterms and finals is the best time to be a student at University. I'm already looking forward to my reading break in Spring.

For sure. One of the best feelings ever was finishing your last class before the weekend, and knowing you had about 10 days to do whatever the hell you wanted.

Did they implement the fall reading week yet? There was talk of doing it when I was in school, but it never came to be.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Weber is a pretty obvious one but Armia and Byron are a lot more important than most people realize.

if wer're 100% healthy, it will be interesting to see who goes to the 4th line: Lehkonen, Byron, or Armia.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
For sure. One of the best feelings ever was finishing your last class before the weekend, and knowing you had about 10 days to do whatever the hell you wanted.

Did they implement the fall reading week yet? There was talk of doing it when I was in school, but it never came to be.
I think it's only for some schools

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->