Post-Game Talk: No pity, Discuss (Habs 5 -2 Sens)

POTM (06/12/2018)

• Total voters

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yes, but battle is the key word here. There are other teams that could come into the mix for the last two wild card spots.

Fair enough. I mean, I agree with you, I was just like : ... wait, there's 3 teams for 3 spots, neither Detroit or Ottawa are challenging anytime soon and Florida doesn't appear to either.

... But the Metro will eventually pick up a bit.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Domi bullied tf out of Smith the past 2 games... that really set the tone. Sens board is in full melt down mode

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fair enough. I mean, I agree with you, I was just like : ... wait, there's 3 teams for 3 spots, neither Detroit or Ottawa are challenging anytime soon and Florida doesn't appear to either.

... But the Metro will eventually pick up a bit.

Not sure about the Metro this year. Caps look like they will win the division. Pens will fall in the 2nd or 3rd spot IMO. Blue Jackets have two pending UFA's and not sure how they handle this at the deadline. Then who? Rangers, Islanders, Flyers?

It's early to predict yet.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
They were good because they got unsustainably good goaltending.

No, they are good because they are a good team...simple as that, they are also one of the highest scoring teams,

Good teams still manage to get by and win even when missing their top players, poor teams crumble without their best players

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They were good because they got unsustainably good goaltending.

It's a very good point. Anderson has been playing very well. He's good. I hope he continues it and further puts them in a cap hell for his next contract in 2 more years after this year. Then Kadri and Rielly need new contracts the year after that. They might get lucky with inflation though in terms of future cap increases.

I don't see the Leafs winning a cup with that D. When they get to final 8 or final 4, they will realize that they can score but so can the other teams and the other cup contenders have solid D. Leafs are not the Pens.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No, they are good because they are a good team...simple as that, they are also one of the highest scoring teams,

Good teams still manage to get by and win even when missing their top players, poor teams crumble without their best players

Give Andersen average numbers compared to the league and Toronto becomes a +10 GD team. Which is, mind you, pretty good. But nowhere near "fighting for 1st/2nd.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

There is some value in the goal tending they have been getting though. Yeah, the forward group is likely the best in the league and that helps the strain on the D. But they have been allowing a lot of shots which Anderson stops.

33.8 shots against per game (ranks 5th worse)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's a very good point. Anderson has been playing very well. He's good. I hope he continues it and further puts them in a cap hell for his next contract in 2 more years after this year. Then Kadri and Rielly need new contracts the year after that. They might get lucky with inflation though in terms of future cap increases.

I don't see the Leafs winning a cup with that D. When they get to final 8 or final 4, they will realize that they can score but so can the other teams and the other cup contenders have solid D. Leafs are not the Pens.

Actually, Andersen is close to 18 GSAA. Which is insane and, frankly, unsustainable. Without Andersen, or with Andersen playing like a league-average goaltender Toronto would be right in the Buffalo/Boston/Montréal group, and nowhere near Tampa. In all likelhood, they would also need to care more about defense, and score less goals.

If the season was to end now, Andersen would deserve the Hart, and he's about to post the best goaltending season since I-don't-know-when. Like, better than Price.

... Freddie stops da puck won't always work. I strongly supect, right during the first round.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Actually, Andersen is close to 18 GSAA. Which is insane and, frankly, unsustainable. Without Andersen, Toronto would be right in the Buffalo/Boston/Montréal group, and nowhere near Tampa.

If the season was to end now, Andersen would deserve the Hart.

A perfect situation for the Lafts is Anderson goes down with an injury right after the trade deadline. Dubas kept Sparks who was waivers exempt and lost McEihinney to waivers. What a dumb ass.

But yes, I do agree the goaltending they have been getting is insane and can it be maintained? Hard to predict but it's reasonable it comes down a bit

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I'm at the point where I don't expect us to win every game but I expect us to be "in" every game. If we make the playoffs, I could see us winning in the first round. Past that, I doubt we win.

That's a hell of a step forward, given that past Habs teams that were on the playoff bubble were usually much older and lacked skill. We aren't playing Jacque Martin or Therrien hockey to win now. Our youth and alignment with the league's style is why we need to let the chips fall and not tank. Our young guys gain experience while being on a winning team.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
A good Rebuild dosnt take 5 years anymore in nhl 2018. If Bergevin makes the right moves, the team should be ready to be a cup contender 2-3 years from now.
you're right ... in EA Sports, we should be in the mix for the cup next season.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I mean Pacioretty is an amazing complimentary player but not a player to build a team around. If you have him on your second line and getting top PP minutes you likely have a pretty good team.
Ya i agree. We needed too much from someone who couldnt be that player. However, i do believe hes on the decline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->