Post-Game Talk (GBU): No one out-tanks us

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Don't forget to order your Sabres Tankards. Only $34.99
https://shop.nhl.com/buffalo-sabres-2-piece-15oz-tankard-set/p-79060144457545+z-840-2630078544

thumb.aspx

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Elite athletes don't "think" the game. The moment you stop to think in a real time game situation, you're done.

You know who invented "hockey IQ?" Hockey geeks who suck at real hockey.
Are you being serious? I find it hard to believe anyone could be serious saying this. Do players have a conscious, internal dialogue with themselves before each action? No. They obviously are thinking, though, because they make decisions, constantly. Some players consistently make better decisions than others, thus have higher hockey IQ/instincts/vision/discipline/etc. It's not remotely arguable.

Everyone involved in scouting, management, coaching, etc recognizes this. They all refer to it. How can you claim it is the creation of "geeks" who suck at hockey?

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Watching the Senators tic-tac-toe on the 4th goal while ERod, Pommer and Tage literally coast back on defense was truly embarassing

And they kept getting shifts after that!

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Hockey isn't reactionary. At least, the hockey dictated by the superstars of the era is not reactionary. They make active decisions to do what they do, at high speeds, and they're almost always the correct thing to do to open up space and create chances. That these decisions are far more natural and fluid and quick for stars than for plugs isn't proof that hockey IQ doesn't exist, it's literally the hockey IQ doing its thing.

"Hockey IQ" may be a bad name for it, but it's well-established as the word used to encompass this phenomenon.
The concept of "IQ" is used in society to denote a kind of intellectual knowledge that can, through testing and what not, be measured and assigned a numerical value -- the Q in IQ.

Needless to say, the idea that high IQ is a factor in being successful in hockey is about as silly as thinking high IQ is a primary factor in success in real life. Most MENSA guys are f***ing awkward, kind of poor, and spend all day playing backgammon with other MENSA tools. They are bitter because the "dumb" guys around them are on the whole doing so much better in life. I think the same thing is true in hockey. Sure, there's some guys who "think" or "intuit" the game better than others, but without the raw skill and physical strength and speed to compete at the highest level, that so called "IQ" is like a fish out of water. Hockey IQ is at worse a fraudulent concept and at best an overrated thing, one that is barely useful at explaining what makes certain players elite as opposed to just average or bad.

Returning to the original point, the flaws in Risto's game stem far more from his usage/deployments than what may or may not be effects of his hockey intelligence quotient, which is a number you arrive at by pretty much pulling it out of your ass. Ergo, trading Risto because he's "low IQ" -- as many around here are want to do -- is dumb.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
The concept of "IQ" is used in society to denote a kind of intellectual knowledge that can, through testing and what not, be measured and assigned a numerical value -- the Q in IQ.

Needless to say, the idea that high IQ is a factor in being successful in hockey is about as silly as thinking high IQ is a primary factor in success in real life. Most MENSA guys are ****ing awkward, kind of poor, and spend all day playing backgammon with other MENSA tools. They are bitter because the "dumb" guys around them are on the whole doing so much better in life. I think the same thing is true in hockey. Sure, there's some guys who "think" or "intuit" the game better than others, but without the raw skill and physical strength and speed to compete at the highest level, that so called "IQ" is like a fish out of water. Hockey IQ is at worse a fraudulent concept and at best an overrated thing, one that is barely useful at explaining what makes certain players elite as opposed to just average or bad.

Returning to the original point, the flaws in Risto's game stem far more from his usage/deployments than what may or may not be effects of his hockey intelligence quotient, which is a number you arrive at by pretty much pulling it out of your ass. Ergo, trading Risto because he's "low IQ" -- as many around here are want to do -- is dumb.
Some players have a MUCH better sense of where to go on the ice, what angle to take, what to do with the puck under pressure, when to take chances, etc. That's hockey iq, or hockey sense. Call it what you want but it's definitely a real thing. Of course you still need strength and skill but the best players have it all.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Needless to say, the idea that high IQ is a factor in being successful in hockey is about as silly as thinking high IQ is a primary factor in success in real life. Most MENSA guys are ****ing awkward, kind of poor, and spend all day playing backgammon with other MENSA tools. They are bitter because the "dumb" guys around them are on the whole doing so much better in life. I think the same thing is true in hockey. Sure, there's some guys who "think" or "intuit" the game better than others, but without the raw skill and physical strength and speed to compete at the highest level, that so called "IQ" is like a fish out of water. Hockey IQ is at worse a fraudulent concept and at best an overrated thing, one that is barely useful at explaining what makes certain players elite as opposed to just average or bad.

I don't think you're understanding ANYTHING, anybody is telling you what Hockey IQ is.

Reactions: sabremike

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
IQ is fake as shit, so it's really not a big deal to call it hockey IQ even if the term isn't exactly perfect

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
IQ is fake as ****, so it's really not a big deal to call it hockey IQ even if the term isn't exactly perfect
Zero problems with this.

Just doing my part to take everyone's minds of off being shut out by the worst team in the league. A reprieve from unrelenting failure, if you will.

hypaspazz

Jan 27, 2017
Houston, TX
G: Thompson putting his back into it!! but when is the last time we won a game when he looks good?
All of the second period for BUF (but nothing to show for it).

B:Referees one-sided for another game. A good team-build for the Sabres would be to go on a Zebra hunt!
Our record since Berglund "refused" to board the plane.

U: I just dropped serious cash to attend Buffalo's "home" game against Tampa in Stockholm versus.... TAMPA!!!
Ryan grabbing Pominville's stick to spin him to the ice in the 3rd, unsportsmanlike conduct anyone???
Only time you hear the ref's whistle this time of year is through their A** because they swallowed it too hard.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
This IQ conversation was hilarious.

And it makes me think, we as a board might need a primer on hockey skills/attributes after so many mind numbing seasons.

It seems like things have broken for some of us, and maybe it will help everyone get an even starting point.

Bisons6

Mar 31, 2019
Phil Housley was never a Sabre Legend. Talented? Sure. But he played soft his entire career. His effort was not consistent. He was never a "warrior"; not a good teammate or locker room guy. Could go on. Point: that's not who I wanted coaching my hockey team. Greater point: That was not the time to figure out whether he could coach. I was wild when he was hired. Point not: to dis PH, only that I knew this "day" would come; I thought it would have been 3 years...point is JB wasted another (hopefully only) 2 years on coach selection. That hire was terrible and will hang over him until he goes back to "cap guru" only, for another team (like job he had with Pens). Point becomes: Who hired guy who hired PH? So much else to say...no time now. The team that has been a part of me since 1970 has been a dysfunctional mess for years/only getting worse...affecting my health... can't take the "continuity" criers any more! You want continuity with abhorrent personnel decisions and incompetent management by (no name calling...owners)? That is the "continuity" we've had. That kind of "continuity" perpetuates dysfunction. It won't end.

Without immediate, positive and CORRECT personnel changes... the message that doing nothing will send so loudly and clearly, should be sufficient to have a court-ordered guardian appointed to take over operations from terry & kim and arrange for transfer of ownership of our team to us, the fans, in a new type of ownership structure. It will end up in court with the eyes of the world watching. I've started to work on this. This will become a reality in the 21st century.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad