Salary Cap: No-offseason Plan A: Sign Mitch, acquire $10m at the TDL

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Hyman and Dermott are hurt to start the year so you need at least 2 more bodies and at league min there goes any cap space you're accruing.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I know if I was demote/promote hacked, I would demand every dollar I didn't earn back on the next contract, with interest and penalty. Or, I'll just go somewhere where I'm treated better. Dubas should be careful what systems he puts in place with his little spreadsheets.

Some of these players are happy to do it if it means they’re the one getting the NHL shot. See Moore.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Hyman and Dermott are hurt to start the year so you need at least 2 more bodies and at league min there goes any cap space you're accruing.

Yea I mentioned that. You’d have to wait for them to come off LTIR to start accruing, and you still would have to leave Horton off during that time.

It appears most of the cap accrual happens between Christmas and the TDL for the Leafs this year. So maybe it would be $8m spend instead of $10m. But at this point we’re basically comparing $8m at the TDL, or $5.3m from the start of the season, and I would lean toward $5.3m from the start of the season.

Last edited:

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
That defense looks a bit shaky but very interesting and well done! I imagine a lot of work went into this OP. Will be interesting to see if dubas employs a similar strategy.

Reactions: mavis

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
That defense looks a bit shaky but very interesting and well done! I imagine a lot of work went into this OP. Will be interesting to see if dubas employs a similar strategy.

I imagine if in the off-season an opportunity comes up to sign a good value defender that tosses this approach out the window forcing us into LTIR, then I think they should take it. But if the only reasonable available options are great value bargain bin signings such as mid-career reclaimations such as Ennis-of-Defense then this could be an option. If we pitch this as our approach then we’d be an attractive spot for those players as they’ll know they’ll be getting a legit shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->