No NHL - Players say 'No Problem'

Status
Not open for further replies.

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
Interesting story regarding players options for next season, particularly the comment of the players possibly forming their own league. I had not heard of that story until now.

TORONTO -- Where do they go from here? That was the question being asked of NHL players following yesterday's union meeting, and not many are sure what direction they'll take if the lockout drags into next season.

"If they used replacement players what league would that be in?" asked St. Louis defenceman Chris Pronger. "Because I'm not sure if that happened, you would be able to call it the National Hockey League."

Added union boss Bob Goodenow: "If they decide to use replacement players, that's their legal right. (But) I think it would be disastrous and devastating to the game."

Last edited by a moderator:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
interesting info...

for the future please provide a link and only cut and paste a few lines :

7) Copyrighted Material: Generally you can assume that anything you find online is copyrighted. We prefer you post a synopsis in your own words and the link to the article, but it's permissible to quote a few lines. DO NOT POST ENTIRE ARTICLES. If you have a question about copyrights see Brad Templeton's Ten Big Myths about Copyrights.

Thanks......

CMUMike

Feb 13, 2005
"If they decide to use replacement players, that's their legal right. (But) I think it would be disastrous and devastating to the game."

Yeah, it really sent the NFL straight to hell.

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
I apoplogise for my ignorance of the copyright laws of North America. I was unaware of the legality of posting material here as opposed to Czech regulations, which are more obtuse and a bit lenient. Please accept my apology. Peace.

Here is the link to the article I was referring to:

slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2005/03/02/947419.html

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
link to above story

That's an interesting comment from Goodenow, acknowledging the legality of replacements. It broke the NFL ranks way back when, it would be interesting to see how it played out.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I simply don't understand the players at all. The info that has come out about the players league has them playing for a portion of the gate receipts. ISN'T THAT A SALARY CAP WITH LINKAGE?!?!?!?!?! They would be getting a percentage of the money from the gate, which is a capped number. How is this any better then the NHL offer where they can make 1.3 million on average instead of a few thousand a game?

So they'll play in their own league with cost certainty but not in the NHL where they can still make more? Can someone please explain how this makes any sense at all, please?

As a great man once said, "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!!"

mooseOAK*

Goodenow certainly wouldn't want to be party to something that is disastrous and devastating to the game.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
CMUMike said:
"If they decide to use replacement players, that's their legal right. (But) I think it would be disastrous and devastating to the game."

There is huges legal problems with replacement players. Specially with immigration and labor laws.

http://www.freep.com/sports/hockey/nhl-bar217e_20050217.htm
"The legal complexities grow deeper and murkier the more you look into them. For example, because of immigration and labor laws requirements, American teams could be restricted to hiring American players and Canadian teams to hiring Canadian players. Then, too, the union might find it advantageous to decertify itself -- go out of business as a union -- to try to form a new trade association that would not be subject to a collective bargaining agreement imposed by the owners."

Also the NHL cap's objective is to reduce the salaries and not to support the expansion of the league like it was the case in 1987 for the NFL. The situation is more like the baseball one in 1994 and they have'nt been able to bring the scabs.

KariyaIsGod*

Added union boss Bob Goodenow: "If they decide to use replacement players, that's their legal right. (But) I think it would be disastrous and devastating to the game."

Isn't that an ironic statemnt coming from a man who is already destroying the game with his ridiculousness...

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
s7ark said:
I simply don't understand the players at all. The info that has come out about the players league has them playing for a portion of the gate receipts. ISN'T THAT A SALARY CAP WITH LINKAGE?!?!?!?!?! They would be getting a percentage of the money from the gate, which is a capped number. How is this any better then the NHL offer where they can make 1.3 million on average instead of a few thousand a game?

So they'll play in their own league with cost certainty but not in the NHL where they can still make more? Can someone please explain how this makes any sense at all, please?

As a great man once said, "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!!"

1- The profit would go in their pockey instead of Wall-mart, Molson etc.
2- They'd got the power so they could improve the league.
3- They could have a total revenu sharing system so the cap would be on based on total money instead of the poor teams money like the NHL offer. You have to understand that the big teams supported Bettman because they were garanteed GREAT profits with the system the NHL offers.
4- A linkage at 67%(NFL) or even more if the players owns the teams is very different from one at 53%(NHL offers)

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

I think he mean disastrous to the PA. The league will be fine. If they sort out the draft in a few years we will start seeing the skill come back to the game even if a single current player doesn't cross.

But I still think some big name guys will cross. Maybe none of the current 8-9 million guys, but guys like Datsyuk, Kovalchuck, St Loius, guys that haven't maxed out their earning power yet will cross over as even in a capped NHL they will make more then anywhere else. Also guys like St. Loius proved so much and worked so hard just to get to the NHL, you really think they wouldn't cross?

And to guys like Guerin, Pronger, etc. Fine go start your own leage making peanuts, more power too you. And I am sure the fans in the non-NHL markets you are playing in (I have heard Quebec city and Winnipeg are options) will LOVE seeing NHL talent again, even if it is just for a short while.

spokedB44

Feb 18, 2005
Beantown
"NHLPA League" wouldn't work

I don't know about everyone here but watching an NHLPA league would not excite me either. The players are threating this but the logo on the front means a lot more to me. If Joe Thornton left the Bruins he is useless to me. I only care about what the team does.

Now, I understand the scabs in NHL aren't the answer either.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Beatnik said:
3- They could have a total revenu sharing system so the cap would be on based on total money instead of the poor teams money like the NHL offer. You have to understand that the big teams supported Bettman because they were garanteed GREAT profits with the system the NHL offers.
4- A linkage at 67%(NFL) or even more if the players owns the teams is very different from one at 53%(NHL offers)

What arenas will they play in? (i.e. they won't be playing in the NHL arenas) How many of their 730 players will this league provide jobs for? Who will bankroll this league? Who will pay NHL ticket prices (or close) to watch this league?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Beatnik said:

1. Who cares? The money they make would still be less then in a capped NHL.
2. Ok they could, but how long do you think the players league would be around for?
3. Again it doesn't matter since the money wouldn't even be close. It isn't like guys like Pronger could play for even 1/3 fo what he is making now. League wide revenue sharing in a league worth maybe 100-million is a pittance compared to the NHL which had revenues in the billions.

Plus, I am not sure the players league could compete with the NHL, even if they had all the stars. They wouldn't play in the same markets and NHL fans will still go watch their teams with replacement players. And after a few years of drafting, the league would start to recover whereas the players league wouldn't have any crop of new talent to draw on. Unless you think they'll be able to grab guys like Crosby away from the NHL, which I doubt 10000%. He already turned down a potential 6-million contract in the WHA

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
svetovy poharu said:
Interesting story regarding players options for next season, particularly the comment of the players possibly forming their own league. I had not heard of that story until now.

TORONTO -- Where do they go from here? That was the question being asked of NHL players following yesterday's union meeting, and not many are sure what direction they'll take if the lockout drags into next season.

"If they used replacement players what league would that be in?" asked St. Louis defenceman Chris Pronger. "Because I'm not sure if that happened, you would be able to call it the National Hockey League."

Ya Bob and Chris ...boy it really hurt the NFL in 1987 2 weeks of replacements then Joe Montana crossed then another 200 players and before you knew it the NFLPA was DONE....sound familiar ??? What a bunch of undereducated idiots

Dave in LA

Chick Magnet
Jul 16, 2002
Visit site
Realistically, who is going to play in the NHLPA league? Guerin, Pronger, Blake? A lot of the oldtimers who have huge contracts will probably play. You might as well call it a beer league or retirement league. Seriously, who needs them?

In a couple of years, the talent will be replaced. The teams that have drafted well and have prepared for this moment will be the successful ones.

D

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
svetovy poharu said:

Ya Bob and Chris ...boy it really hurt the NFL in 1987 2 weeks of replacements then Joe Montana crossed then another 200 players and before you knew it the NFLPA was DONE....sound familiar ??? What a bunch of undereducated idiots

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
s7ark said:
1. Who cares? The money they make would still be less then in a capped NHL.
2. Ok they could, but how long do you think the players league would be around for?
3. Again it doesn't matter since the money wouldn't even be close. It isn't like guys like Pronger could play for even 1/3 fo what he is making now. League wide revenue sharing in a league worth maybe 100-million is a pittance compared to the NHL which had revenues in the billions.

Plus, I am not sure the players league could compete with the NHL, even if they had all the stars. They wouldn't play in the same markets and NHL fans will still go watch their teams with replacement players. And after a few years of drafting, the league would start to recover whereas the players league wouldn't have any crop of new talent to draw on. Unless you think they'll be able to grab guys like Crosby away from the NHL, which I doubt 10000%. He already turned down a potential 6-million contract in the WHA

Surely there would be a war. I assumed in my post that the players would win it.

During the war both would lose but a win after a season or 2 it COULD be extremelly good for the players. 100% of the revenus is better than 53%.

do they have a chance to win? I think yes. I don't think every building is own by the NHL teams. Also some owners could want to join the new league after a season or two instead of paying for empty arenas.

There is no interest in the minor leagues now, I don't think the fans would suddently be excited by those players only because they got NHL shirts.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Just because it worked for the NFL doesnt necessarily mean its going to work for the NHL. I'm not saying replacement players are going to fail, but there are better reasons (such as most people support the owners) than "well it worked for one league so that automatically means its going to work for the NHL".

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
svetovy poharu said:

That would be in the NHL Chris !! You know why ?...because you are replaceable. You and your PA clowns are going down the same road the NFLPA did in 1987. This is a no win situation for you. Your in for a real surprise come September 15th when training camp opens with or without you.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
CMUMike said:

i think the player's have lost a lot of $$$ up to this point - waiting it out is the only option - if the league gets going with replacement player's let the fan's speak - what to do after that will become obvious -

CMUMike

Feb 13, 2005
mr gib said:
i think the player's have lost a lot of $$$ up to this point - waiting it out is the only option - if the league gets going with replacement player's let the fan's speak - what to do after that will become obvious -

I'm not sure what the Union's strategy is at this point, but I doubt that it is to "let the fan's speak". If I were a player and my union's strategy was to wait it out after you've sacrificed 1/3 of my career (on average), I'd reconsider my status as a union member. If the league opens with replacement players and everything falls apart, as if that's possible at this point, how is that a positive for the players?

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Hockeyfan02 said:
Just because it worked for the NFL doesnt necessarily mean its going to work for the NHL. I'm not saying replacement players are going to fail, but there are better reasons (such as most people support the owners) than "well it worked for one league so that automatically means its going to work for the NHL".

It will work better in the NHL ! you know why...because there are a ton of feeder leagues in pro hockey. The NFL had at that time 2 feeders..NCAA/College and the CFL and look what happened.

Look at all of the non PA players in Europe who got bumped out of jobs..350 of them, are you telling me they won't be here in North America come September 15th. How about 50% + of the current PA'ers who are ready to tell Goodenow and the Elite's to shove it ? are you telling us they won't cross ?? How about AHL, CHL, ECHL lifers..are you telling me they won't cross.. money talks and BS walks

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Chuck Shick said:
It will work better in the NHL ! you know why...because there are a ton of feeder leagues in pro hockey. The NFL had at that time 2 feeders..NCAA/College and the CFL and look what happened.

Look at all of the non PA players in Europe who got bumped out of jobs..350 of them, are you telling me they won't be here in North America come September 15th. How about 50% + of the current PA'ers who are ready to tell Goodenow and the Elite's to shove it ? are you telling us they won't cross ?? How about AHL, CHL, ECHL lifers..are you telling me they won't cross.. money talks and BS walks

Do you feel you are making your point better by using bold?

There.... that's better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->