No NHL European games for 2014-15 season?

thom

Mar 6, 2012
You do know I was born in France and raised till 8 yrs old-So I know european history and culture inside and out.As for mentioning Spain,Italy,England ect ect to grow game you must push games in large countries with big economic and pop. base

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
i think having games in countries with lots of hockey potential like switzerland ,denmark, norway, poland would be good for hockey. also london since they seem to have the weather to support hockey.

Rekin

Feb 23, 2014
Warszawa
Spain?

you do realize ice hockey is not that popular in spain?

I don't disagree, but still even FC Barcelona does have a hockey section. I think a game like this as a single event would work fine even in Spain, but another question is how much there is to gain if NHL games aren't anyway even televised in the country.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I don't disagree, but still even FC Barcelona does have a hockey section. I think a game like this as a single event would work fine even in Spain, but another question is how much there is to gain if NHL games aren't anyway even televised in the country.

I have spent a lot of time in Spain and only came across two arena that could seat 15 k for hockey and the arena are not designed with hockey in mind and would need some work to make them romotely ready for an nhl game.

Ice Hockey is popular in most northern countries and I think the NHL would be better to play games were hockey is played regularly. In all of Spain there are only 8 clubs-- I think there are 5 in Prague czech republic alone.

Spain I think sits at 35 in the world rankings for hockey ( not that it matters) and I can not see the NHL putting time an effort into a country where there is little demand for the game

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I am very curious why NHL has never been to France for one of these games (in the modern era). I know hockey is not the most popular sport, but it isn't dead like in Belgium or 99% of Spain.

Personally I would do,
2015-16
2-3 games in France (One game definitely in Paris, featuring Canadiens)
1 game in Norway (Featuring the New York Rangers)
1 game in Denmark (Featuring either the Canadiens or Canucks)
Maybe 1 game in Milan

Then in 2016-17
1 game in Tokyo (Trust me, if London can sellout a hockey game, so can Japan)
1 game in South Korea (Probably Seoul)
1 game in China (Shanghai since the China Dragons play there, but would prefer Beijing)
Maybe 1 game in Northern Japan where hockey is more popular

Future Locations
Australia
Hungary
Slovenia
Croatia
Maybe UAE
Maybe Iceland

Only problem with the Asia tour is a reasonable time for North America.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
NHL has gone to Japan in the past. (Sharks-Flames, 1998)

As for the other locations... How many have NHL and/or Olympic sized ice possible in an arena? Capacity?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->