No NHL European games for 2014-15 season?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
No games in Europe to open 2014-15 season.

But after World Cup (2015), there're games coming. Perhaps even taking a week in February (rather than September) with sponsors in Europe for a couple of games.

And some discussion on appeals (might independent arbitrator eventually side with players; might all 10+ game suspensions be appealed?).

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Sucks that there's no games in Europe next year either. Any reason as to why they won't be doing it next year?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I suspect it has more to do with the shake-up at AEG than what were hearing here as theyve' been the main driver and beneficiary behind the EuroTours with their interests in arenas & developments throughout Northern Europe & the UK.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I really hope they change their mind. Want to see a game in London again. O2 Arena anyone? :D

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
On the other hand, the players union wants to keep exploring options, arguing that it’s an “important tool†to generate exposure.

This is why I think NHL players will continue to be in Olympics. PA at least understands the game/league needs exposure around the world.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Renaud Lavoie ‏@LavoieRenaud 55m
Another meeting is schedule early this week on Europe between the NHL and NHLPA. Its the end of Premiere Games.

Renaud Lavoie ‏@LavoieRenaud 54m
NHLPA wanted to keep the Premiere Games but NHL have other options.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
No Premiere games?

So instead they'll have a Victoria Cup type thing or the World Cup of hockey.

No games in Britain then for the foreseeable future if that's the case.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comments/video-hotstove-tonight-on-hockey-night-in-canada
Kukla's Korner with the HNIC video from 10/19, so you can hear for yourself.

One reason -- too short of notice to get into "good venues".

sorry--but that is ********

The O2 arena here in London told the nhl they were willing to block dates a head of time to make the arena available. NHL declined.

Based upon a previous discussion I think this has more to do with the NHL and NHLPA still discussing the topic.

Also, there is reluctance from some countries who have their own pro leagues who think the nhl will hurt their brand

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
any news on that topic? Will there be NHL teams travelling to Europe during pre-season?
I'd absolutely love it but didn't hear anything about it so very doubtful..

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
And the league was having issues filling a few venues (that they'd been to a few times).

FTR, most announcements of European games were in January/February before they happened in the fall.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
And the league was having issues filling a few venues (that they'd been to a few times).

It might just all be in my head but I think early on the NHL was making an effort to send over high profile teams or teams that would have appeal in the specific markets they would be playing in. After a few years they just started sending over random clubs and those games ended up being harder sells. I guess the problem is you can't keep on asking the same handful of franchises to cut short training camp and open their season in Europe.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
It might just all be in my head but I think early on the NHL was making an effort to send over high profile teams or teams that would have appeal in the specific markets they would be playing in. After a few years they just started sending over random clubs and those games ended up being harder sells. I guess the problem is you can't keep on asking the same handful of franchises to cut short training camp and open their season in Europe.

NHL didn't go "random", but had all teams on the list to head over.

And yes, it's often easier for the EC teams to participate than the WC.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
It would be great if they played games in Paris,London,Madrid,Barcelona,Rome,bERLIN-

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It would be great if they played games in Paris,London,Madrid,Barcelona,Rome,bERLIN-

Spain?

you do realize ice hockey is not that popular in spain?

There is a half decent arena just outside of Paris--

Do not remember any good ice arena in Rome--other parts of italy have good one

Lots of arenas in Germany

as for London--it is the 02 or nothing

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
NHL didn't go "random", but had all teams on the list to head over.

And yes, it's often easier for the EC teams to participate than the WC.

Ya random wasn't the right word, but it's probably fair to say that the NHL sent over most of the easier to sell clubs early on and once those clubs had their turn opening in Europe it became a much harder sell with the remaining clubs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->