No need to panic

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
There Are some guys that don't belong in the lineup and we've gotten piss poor goaltending which really turned into a debacle in San Jose for a tired team.

IMO for the most part these guys are exhausted and why shouldn't they be. Why in gods name sather chose to send these guys WEST for preseason. When they had to go west to start and then play 9 games on the road is beyond me. We could have scheduled preseason games against east coast teams and not have gone west till it was time to start the year.

Ridiculous really.

Then uve got biron that turned a bad game in San Joes into a flat out 3 ring circus that completely rattled the team

I think the guys u saw in LA and for most of last nights game are the real rangers.

We'll be fine

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
There Are some guys that don't belong in the lineup and we've gotten piss poor goaltending which really turned into a debacle in San Jose for a tired team.

IMO for the most part these guys are exhausted and why shouldn't they be. Why in gods name sather chose to send these guys WEST for preseason. When they had to go west to start and then play 9 games on the road is beyond me. We could have scheduled preseason games against east coast teams and not have gone west till it was time to start the year.

Ridiculous really.

Then uve got biron that turned a bad game in San Joes into a flat out 3 ring circus that completely rattled the team

I think the guys u saw in LA and for most of last nights game are the real rangers.

We'll be fine

I think we just need someone to pump the brakes. Somebody needs to step up and settle things down for this team and get them refocused. Whether it's the coach or someone in the room somebody needs to take the reigns here and I mean really seize them.

I wouldn't call up any kids right now, the guys that are here are pros and they need to work this out on their own. I think they can but will they find it in themselves? Let's see what they look like after a few home games and then go from there.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
At risk of sounding like broken record, it's not the losses, it's the way they've lost.

That is true. However, I'd much rather the team go through this transitional phase (I hope) when they're playing games that: a) They probably would have lost even when playing well, and b) Against teams that they're not directly competing with

If they played these bad games against the Islanders, Blue Jackets etc. it would be much worse

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think Lundqvist will turn things around, McDonagh and Staal and co. will adjust to the new system, and in time we'll be able to keep teams out of our net.

But we still can't score.

Brad Rcahrds is leading the team, on pace for 66. Guys, Brad Richards isn't scoring 66 goals. When he slows down, who's picking up the slack?

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
Not going to panic.

But I just don't see this team being a threat in the playoffs (which I do think we will make).

Pastafazul*

i agree, the season is at its infantile stage, and we have a new system in place for players to adjust too....

the REAL concern is lundy.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
I think Lundqvist will turn things around, McDonagh and Staal and co. will adjust to the new system, and in time we'll be able to keep teams out of our net.

But we still can't score.

Brad Rcahrds is leading the team, on pace for 66. Guys, Brad Richards isn't scoring 66 goals. When he slows down, who's picking up the slack?

Nash, Stepan, Brassard and 3/4 of our roster are on pace for 0.

Somehow, I think it'll even out. We'll be all right.

Blueblood 2

Jul 7, 2006
No panic here. Just a stern warning from my dentist. He says chewing on a wad of bubble gum every game, to relax, will have dire consequences. :(

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
Let this team play against East club or two. Or just any team that doesn't have Niemi or Hiller in net. Then you will find yourself thinking differently. Or just come back after WAS game Wednesday and make your doomsday projections.

This is a good team. The only problem defense plays as if King is net and all of them do not know what to do once they find a surrogate that looks the same there instead. Goal after goal...

You can't play run-n-gun without Fur or Habibulin or Richter or Lunddqvist. So if Lundqvist lost his King's crown somewhere, you must simplify. AV will.

Last edited:

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Does anyone know the last time a team yanked their goalie in 3 straight games? Or, even worse, three of the opening 5?? And the last time it was a world class level goaltender in back to back starts? Or the last time a team that supposedly had one of the best defense corps in the league had their goalie yanked in three straight games despite having a world-class goaltender?

This is not a common occurance. This is bad news bears, epically, in every single direction. I'm not saying that they can't recover, but I can't for the life of me even remember a team getting so throroughly destroyed night after night. And to pretend this happens all the time to teams that are expected to contend, and everything is more than likely to just pan out seems really naieve at this particular moment.

I mean, will Ulfie even make it back to MSG?

The team seems desparate for structure. The defense is a mess. Staal, McD, and Girardi actually look to be getting worse as they learn the system. I just cannot believe, yet, that theose guys are just regressing like crazy. They're all players who have massive levels of compete, jam, fight, whatever. The problem appears to be that they're playing on islands. I haven't seen any coherent stratgey in their game so far. So either this system is so exotic, andrevolutionarily amazing that it takes serious pro's with top level skills this long to not look completely outmatched, or the system in place is not a good fit, for this team, this league, or maybe even this sport.

Very possible. The Torts system involved collapsing and shot blocking... Not much defense, just have everyone play goalie

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I think this season goes a lot like 2006-07 for the Rangers. Remember the first month of that season was a disaster. In fact, most of the first half was. Cullen couldn't play with anyone, Prucha was misused, and the team had too many fourth liners like Hollweg, J. Ward, etc.

That season ended well and they almost made it to the ECF because they figured out how to play together. It took a few smart trades (Avery and Mara) and some rookies (Cally and Girardi) who helped gel that team.

This team doesn't look the same as soon as December. If the kids in Hartford keep it up, we'll see some up here.

I still think a lot of vets on this team don't make it through the season (Boyle, Dorsett, Asham, even Dom Moore).

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Nash, Stepan, Brassard and 3/4 of our roster are on pace for 0.

Somehow, I think it'll even out. We'll be all right.

Neither Stepan nor Brassard has ever scored 20 goals. We have talented forwards but we don't have talented goal-scorers.

Last edited:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I have faith that he could pot 20 a year, 30 is a stretch, anything above 35 I'd never expect. His smart positional play lets him score easy goals that the rest of the team have no ability to. How many times have we seen Stepan slam-dunk a puck home from the side of the net last season that honestly anyone could have? Also, his shot has really been improving. No reason to believe he can't score 20-25 a year.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I have faith that he could pot 20 a year, 30 is a stretch, anything above 35 I'd never expect. His smart positional play lets him score easy goals that the rest of the team have no ability to. How many times have we seen Stepan slam-dunk a puck home from the side of the net last season that honestly anyone could have? Also, his shot has really been improving. No reason to believe he can't score 20-25 a year.

remember that tic-tac-toe power play goal he scored last year?

We'll see more of that

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York

Literally every other member of this team ****s that up :laugh:

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Not picking on the OP but I'm getting tired of hearing "if they haven't picked it up by game 20, then you can worry". You worry now. If they haven't picked it up by game 20, you admit failure. If this team still looks this way at game 20, that's not when it's time to START worrying. That's when it's time to swallow the pill and admit the season is a loss. You don't get to play like this for 20 games and be successful in this league. When people talk about the importance of early points and quick starts, and even loser points, they're not just saying it to say it. It should be extremely worrying to everyone how we have started the season. No, you don't hit the red button because of 5 games. I didn't say that. You worry at 5 games though. You consider hitting the red button at 25. All of this "start worrying at 20 games" talk is nonsense. If you've gone 1/4 of the season looking like this, you're looking to next season.

I whole-heartedly disagree with that statement. That is the IRRATIONAL thing to do. You can be a little worried/concerned right now, but how can you not allow yourself more time before jumping off the Tap? I mean... 4 games isn't going to tell you the entire story is it? 20 or so games will give you a much more in-depth look at what we have as a team.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
New coach, new system, broken up training camp, terrible schedule to start the season, no training camp for Callahan and Stepan, no Hagelin, injured Nash in game 3.

Recipe for disaster. If they can get close to .500 by end of this month its a success in my book. Everyone will be healthy (hopefully), the D will be adjusted and Lundqvist will be Lundqvist.

I still think this will be a good hockey team.

Garv23

Jan 27, 2007
Rockland, NY
New coach, new system, broken up training camp, terrible schedule to start the season, no training camp for Callahan and Stepan, no Hagelin, injured Nash in game 3.

Recipe for disaster. If they can get close to .500 by end of this month its a success in my book. Everyone will be healthy (hopefully), the D will be adjusted and Lundqvist will be Lundqvist.

I still think this will be a good hockey team.

Hey, now here's a post I'm in tune with. I think the D will adjust, but they HAVE to find a way to keep people from parking in front of Hank.

To panic this early under these circumstances is ridiculous.

KreiMeARiver*

Wow, there are a lot of people in here that quite frankly...have zero clue what they are looking at. zero clue.

We lack skill, size, speed, toughness, tenacity, finish, etc.

These are hardcore personnel problems. The Tooth Fairy isn't going to bail us out, overnight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad