No need to panic

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
Hello everyone, I've been following for a few years now finally got around to remaking an account.

Just wanted to say I'm not too worried about this team yet, I've been seeing so much panic from ranger fans and it's too soon. We have yet to play an eastern conference team, Hagelin out, Nash out, Callahan & stepan not much time back. If they don't pan out by game 25 then I'll begin to panic. Just wanted to say hello I'll be posting often and wanted to voice my opinion. Keep your heads up fellow ranger fans we have a long season ahead of us!

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
There may not be need to panic but there's certainly reason to be very pissed off and worried altho I prefer waiting 10-15 games

I'm not happy either, the team looked lazy 3 out of 5 games and soft. They need to simplify this system if that's the problem. They don't seem hungry out there

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
I disagree. Fans have been presented with a strong case that this team will not compete at a high level. They're not just losing games, they're barely in any of these games for longer than the opening 10 minutes. That's an absolute disaster. Are panicked fans saying that we're not going to win any games this season? No. But it's pretty clear that we will not be competitive against the elite. You say it's a "learning a new system" thing? Fine. But I can't think of any situations where a new coach came in, and a team looked completely outmatched, and annihilated through an entire preseason and the first 5 reg season games, and then went on to hVe a serious cup run.

Maybe you're not panicking, but I spend a ton of money on my tix, and the feeling that I'll be paying to watch this abysmal product is very frustrating. For what it's worth, this is the exact same compete level I remember from the pre-lockout NYR. The idea Slats might be leading us right back to the dark ages really sucks.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
I disagree. Fans have been presented with a strong case that this team will not compete at a high level. They're not just losing games, they're barely in any of these games for longer than the opening 10 minutes. That's an absolute disaster. Are panicked fans saying that we're not going to win any games this season? No. But it's pretty clear that we will not be competitive against the elite. You say it's a "learning a new system" thing? Fine. But I can't think of any situations where a new coach came in, and a team looked completely outmatched, and annihilated through an entire preseason and the first 5 reg season games, and then went on to hVe a serious cup run.

Maybe you're not panicking, but I spend a ton of money on my tix, and the feeling that I'll be paying to watch this abysmal product is very frustrating. For what it's worth, this is the exact same compete level I remember from the pre-lockout NYR. The idea Slats might be leading us right back to the dark ages really sucks.

Wasn't using the new system as an excuse. I was just saying they may need to simplify it, I agree with you and I'm not sure how to feel about the future. Maybe 4 or 5 promising prospects and a lot of free agents doesn't spell success but a disaster of a year with a high pick might not be terrible. Devils had a top pick a few years ago and the next year made it to the cup

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
Let's just be honest here, the team has looked and played like crap. People have every right to examine, critique and question anyone or anything associated with this team right now. Having said that, there is a point where it goes overboard but it seems like the hip thing to do around here to label someone as panicking just because they speak their mind about the issues plaguing this team, not just this season, but for multiple seasons leading up to it.

Once again, its a veiled shot at people designed to make the person taking the shot at another poster sound like a more loyal or devoted fan. Too many here seem more interested in boosting their own ego and proving how much more of a fan they are than the next guy. Some serious self esteem issues going on here. Some posters just want to look cool instead of contributing to a meaningful discussion and others posters are off the deep end with doom/gloom. Let's all take a step back, chill and let it all settle back to the midpoint between the two. I'm pretty sure we all love this team or we wouldn't be here so lets start focusing on the real problems and not each other. :nod::yo:

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
Let's just be honest here, the team has looked and played like crap. People have every right to examine, critique and question anyone or anything associated with this team right now. Having said that, there is a point where it goes overboard but it seems like the hip thing to do around here to label someone as panicking just because they speak their mind about the issues plaguing this team, not just this season, but for multiple seasons leading up to it.

Once again, its a veiled shot at people designed to make the person taking the shot at another poster sound like a more loyal or devoted fan. Too many here seem more interested in boosting their own ego and proving how much more of a fan they are than the next guy. Some serious self esteem issues going on here. Some posters just want to look cool instead of contributing to a meaningful discussion and others posters are off the deep end with doom/gloom. Let's all take a step back, chill and let it all settle back to the midpoint between the two. I'm pretty sure we all love this team or we wouldn't be here so lets start focusing on the real problems and not each other. :nod::yo:

I agree 100% and if you post on a forum about a team then you must love it! I just hate people over reacting so much so soon. Everyone has their own opinion I respect each one, hopefully they turn this thing around so we can all be happy posters lol

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Hello everyone, I've been following for a few years now finally got around to remaking an account.

Just wanted to say I'm not too worried about this team yet, I've been seeing so much panic from ranger fans and it's too soon. We have yet to play an eastern conference team, Hagelin out, Nash out, Callahan & stepan not much time back. If they don't pan out by game 25 then I'll begin to panic. Just wanted to say hello I'll be posting often and wanted to voice my opinion. Keep your heads up fellow ranger fans we have a long season ahead of us!

It depends on what expectations etc you have on this team.

If you wanted us to contend after a long rebuild, its quite obvious that John "Ponzi" Tortorella screwed us over completely and left an extremely poorly drilled team behind him.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
It depends on what expectations etc you have on this team.

If you wanted us to contend after a long rebuild, its quite obvious that John "Ponzi" Tortorella screwed us over completely and left an extremely poorly drilled team behind him.

We'll I definitely thought this team would come out rejuvenated and hungry with a new coach but it seems like they're coming out like the coach ( laid back ). I do miss the fire torts brought but you never know hopefully they buy into the AV style

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Not picking on the OP but I'm getting tired of hearing "if they haven't picked it up by game 20, then you can worry". You worry now. If they haven't picked it up by game 20, you admit failure. If this team still looks this way at game 20, that's not when it's time to START worrying. That's when it's time to swallow the pill and admit the season is a loss. You don't get to play like this for 20 games and be successful in this league. When people talk about the importance of early points and quick starts, and even loser points, they're not just saying it to say it. It should be extremely worrying to everyone how we have started the season. No, you don't hit the red button because of 5 games. I didn't say that. You worry at 5 games though. You consider hitting the red button at 25. All of this "start worrying at 20 games" talk is nonsense. If you've gone 1/4 of the season looking like this, you're looking to next season.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Not picking on the OP but I'm getting tired of hearing "if they haven't picked it up by game 20, then you can worry". You worry now. If they haven't picked it up by game 20, you admit failure. If this team still looks this way at game 20, that's not when it's time to START worrying. That's when it's time to swallow the pill and admit the season is a loss. You don't get to play like this for 20 games and be successful in this league. When people talk about the importance of early points and quick starts, and even loser points, they're not just saying it to say it. It should be extremely worrying to everyone how we have started the season. No, you don't hit the red button because of 5 games. I didn't say that. You worry at 5 games though. You consider hitting the red button at 25. All of this "start worrying at 20 games" talk is nonsense. If you've gone 1/4 of the season looking like this, you're looking to next season.

It could be argued that many posters have already gone well beyond worrying. They've jumped off the bridge with the coach, GM, and starting goalie latched to them.

Semantics aside, the start no doubt has been disconcerting. However, there are several circumstances (not excuses) that give you reason to hope they'll get better. Let's wait and see.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Everyone is stating their opinions are if they're fact. I think that's what gets everyone riled up, whether they're optimistic or pessimistic.

There isn't an objective point in the season where worrying is "right" and accepting defeat is "right." Different fans with different levels of investment think differently.

Personally, I'm not panicked and I won't be unless they show no signs of improvement over another dozen games or so.

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
It could be argued that many posters have already gone well beyond worrying. They've jumped off the bridge with the coach, GM, and starting goalie lashed to them.

I don't think its possible to include the GM in there as someone undeserving of criticism, all the others I agree with it though to a certain extent because nobody is perfect and everyone could and should be doing better! Glen Sather has every right to be thrown over the edge of a bridge! Hell, I'll even volunteer to do it, for free! :yo: But if people want to jump off and take him with them then by all means, please, feel free to do so! :laugh:

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
I agree it's too early to start freaking out but I am interested to see how Slats starts tinkering with this roster as we move along here.

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
Does anyone know the last time a team yanked their goalie in 3 straight games? Or, even worse, three of the opening 5?? And the last time it was a world class level goaltender in back to back starts? Or the last time a team that supposedly had one of the best defense corps in the league had their goalie yanked in three straight games despite having a world-class goaltender?

This is not a common occurance. This is bad news bears, epically, in every single direction. I'm not saying that they can't recover, but I can't for the life of me even remember a team getting so throroughly destroyed night after night. And to pretend this happens all the time to teams that are expected to contend, and everything is more than likely to just pan out seems really naieve at this particular moment.

I mean, will Ulfie even make it back to MSG?

The team seems desparate for structure. The defense is a mess. Staal, McD, and Girardi actually look to be getting worse as they learn the system. I just cannot believe, yet, that theose guys are just regressing like crazy. They're all players who have massive levels of compete, jam, fight, whatever. The problem appears to be that they're playing on islands. I haven't seen any coherent stratgey in their game so far. So either this system is so exotic, andrevolutionarily amazing that it takes serious pro's with top level skills this long to not look completely outmatched, or the system in place is not a good fit, for this team, this league, or maybe even this sport.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
It's not that people are panicking, it's how they're panicking. I've been to many sporting events surrounded by many drunk people and I swear I've never seen grown adults act this way

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
One of my pet peeves on these boards is the phrase "I am tired of ...", because who gives a crap what an anonymous poster is tired of. I don't.

Putting that aside, who is arguing they can look like this for 20 games? I'd love to read the posts.
People have said that it'd take until game 20-25 to play like they played against the Kings consistently, a bit different than your straw man argument.

PS: what the hell is a PK Subban fan doing on these boards anyway?

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Perhaps time to start asking how much the lack of matching with the final nhl roster in the pre-season actually hurt the team as a whole

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I'm in panic mode because I know the team's done better than this, and it just seems like they're stuck between two game styles or strategies and a lot of the guys seemed too lost to attempt a clean try.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I don't think its possible to include the GM in there as someone undeserving of criticism, all the others I agree with it though to a certain extent because nobody is perfect and everyone could and should be doing better! Glen Sather has every right to be thrown over the edge of a bridge! Hell, I'll even volunteer to do it, for free! :yo: But if people want to jump off and take him with them then by all means, please, feel free to do so! :laugh:

Definitely agree, too soon to throw AV and Lundqvist over the bridge but Sather should be downstream somewhere because he should have been thrown off the bridge a long time ago. Tough to give him the benefit of the doubt with his track record as GM the past 14 years.

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
Definitely agree, too soon to throw AV and Lundqvist over the bridge but Sather should be downstream somewhere because he should have been thrown off the bridge a long time ago. Tough to give him the benefit of the doubt with his track record as GM the past 14 years.

This franchise needs people who are younger and hungrier in positions of power. Too many old heads from decades gone by and whose best accomplishments came in the previous century. Sather has earned his money, won his cups and made his mark on this sport. Couple that with an owner that has basically told him he can do whatever he wants for however long he wants and you end up with a man who's only real motivation is ego and greed. Get lost already and take your relics of the past cronies with ya!

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
My minor addition to this topic: 2 of our 4 loses have been against two of the three teams that haven't lost any games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad