No more trading 1st/2nd round picks/top prospects for rentals!

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
2 years in a row we spent top assets on rentals and have nothing to show for it. Very unlikely Hayes is re-signed. While the Stastny trade last season was a great trade and Chevy did a good job with it, we are now in position that if we don't stop trading top assets for rentals we risk becoming the Rangers of the earlier part of the decade.

If the Jets at the deadline had stood pat or sold, we would be in no worse position playoffs wise and would still have our 1st. This barring a miracle did not look like our year and trying to force it through deadline moves was suboptimal. This exit would be so much easier to swallow if we had held on to that 1st round pick.

If Chevy thinks he needs a #2C or another D-man he should make moves in the summer to get long term solutions. No more wasting top-picks/prospects for 20-30 games of players. I will literally projectile vomit all the way from the west coast into the MTS Center if next season if the Jets 1st round pick shows up on the TSN "most likely to be traded" board or in trade speculation around the deadline.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
2 years in a row we spent top assets on rentals and have nothing to show for it.

giphy.gif

So, 30 teams should be sellers unless they are guaranteed the Stanley Cup? Most buyers don’t win it all.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Look at how many teams have drafted in the top 5 and have no cups!! What a failure! It must be bad.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
We're not a big FA destination, we're on most teams no trade lists. Draft and develop.

No problem with depth adds like Tlusty, or Beaulieu, or Morrow when it was made.

I was fine with the Stastny deal because we hadn't won a round and needed to get over that hump, but no more 1sts please. The cap situation isn't going to get easier and we'll need competent ELC's coming in.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think the Hayes acquisition could have been better if the team was actually playing well as a whole. But we really had to go for it IMO. This was the last season this group was going to be together. In all likelihood Trouba, Perreault, Kulikov and potentially Tanev, Chiarot and Myers are gone this offseason. We are taking a step back next year no doubt and injecting even more youth in all likelihood (Vesalainen, Niku, Appleton, maybe Poolman and Spacek)

Reactions: jetsforever and GNP

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I tend to agree with the sentiment. I can understand why the Jets went for it with rentals the past couple of seasons, but I think they now need to start replenishing the prospect pool for the next wave in 5-7 years from now.

My guess is that they might start that process as early as this draft by moving Trouba for a 1st round pick (and perhaps more), and Perreault for something in the round 3-5 area.

Reactions: DashingDane and GNP

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
I was honestly fine with going after a rental if that's what they felt could help this squad and add some much needed depth down the middle.

The problem is you spend the price of a 1st rounder and Lemieux for a guy who ultimately ends up playing on your 4th line averaging slightly over 11 minutes per game in the playoffs.

That is an absolute waste.

Nov 24, 2006
I was - and remain - a fan of the Stastny trade. It was the right move at the right time.

I was not a fan of the Hayes trade, really at all. Zero interest in resigning him.

The net result for two years is Erik Foley, Brendan Lemieux, two 1st round picks, and I think a 4th from last year too. That total package should get you a good, long term 2C. Unfortunately, we're again back to square 1.

No more 1st round picks traded please, thanks.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Going for a rental was fine this year, as we had an overabundance of youthful prospects that haven't seen the ice yet.

TNSE 's goal is to do 2 things -

1) win the Cup

2) bring in as much money as possible to TNSE as possible - every home game in the playoffs brings in $ 2 mil per game.

If you make it to the Final and you have 4 rounds at 3 home games per round that's 3/ 4 = 12 games /2 mil = $ 24 million

TNSE -- could have sure used that money being a small market franchise. I can understand their reasoning here -makes cents $$

$ 24 mil pays a lot of signing bonuses, and other things.

Note--2 ways to look at this --the "fans side" and the "business side"

BUT -- now is the time to go back to the drafting table. ( no more rentals for awhile)

ALSO -- We may still sign Hayes -- but unlikely --to expensive $$$

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Those rentals were fine. Hayes was OK, Stastny was great.

The only problem with Stastny trade was Maurice. With any decent coach we would have chance against the Vegas.

Maybe the rule should be: "No more rentals while PoMo is the coach".

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
With the majority, I was fine with the Statsny one as the group exuded confidence and felt like they could go all the way. This year the group felt more lethargic and something seemed off so I was not down for trading a 1st.

I'll rehash the sentiment that we should look to fill the 2c roll permanently rather than paying for a solution each year. This is not good asset management.

Reactions: Halberdier and GNP

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
It was clear this year that we didn't have a competitive team for a post season run. I was a vocal proponent of stand pat. You don't have to 'sell' just because you don't 'buy'. I was ok with relatively low cost acquisitions of Beaulieu and Kiselevich due to Morrissey's injury. The biggest overpay which will have lasting damaging impact was Hayes. The real laugher was Hendricks and in retrospect represented a huge red flag for the status of the motivation of this team and the attitude in the room. I recall hearing the announcement on 1290. I forget who announced it, but there was a long pause - dead air - as the other announcers tried to process what they had just heard. One of them asked if it was serious or a joke. In the end it was serious - a seriously bad joke.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Going for a rental was fine this year, as we had an overabundance of youthful prospects that haven't seen the ice yet.

TNSE 's goal is to do 2 things -

1) win the Cup

2) bring in as much money as possible to TNSE as possible - every home game in the playoffs brings in $ 2 mil per game.

If you make it to the Final and you have 4 rounds at 3 home games per round that's 3/ 4 = 12 games /2 mil = $ 24 million

TNSE -- could have sure used that money being a small market franchise. I can understand their reasoning here -makes cents $$

$ 24 mil pays a lot of signing bonuses, and other things.

Note--2 ways to look at this --the "fans side" and the "business side"

BUT -- now is the time to go back to the drafting table. ( no more rentals for awhile)

ALSO -- We may still sign Hayes -- but unlikely --to expensive $$$
If TNSE is only in it to make money ... they should not have a team.
Owners who have professional sports team is a toy for them ... remember they had to be filthy rich to buy the team.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
It was clear this year that we didn't have a competitive team for a post season run. I was a vocal proponent of stand pat. You don't have to 'sell' just because you don't 'buy'. I was ok with relatively low cost acquisitions of Beaulieu and Kiselevich due to Morrissey's injury. The biggest overpay which will have lasting damaging impact was Hayes. The real laugher was Hendricks and in retrospect represented a huge red flag for the status of the motivation of this team and the attitude in the room. I recall hearing the announcement on 1290. I forget who announced it, but there was a long pause - dead air - as the other announcers tried to process what they had just heard. One of them asked if it was serious or a joke. In the end it was serious - a seriously bad joke.
St Louis and the Islanders are in round two and did nothing at the TDL.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
The Stats trade was fine. We looked like cup contenders, we had the mojo and the metrics going into the playoffs, we looked like the team everyone had to beat. This year however........ughh we limped into the playoffs, had dressing room issues, coaching disasters all over the place, people being played in situations where it was simply wrong. There was zero reason this year to trade away assets. If we resign Hayes im good with the trade, that 2C no matter what pomo thinks is a mess. No matter how hard Pomo wants to believe that Little is the guy it didnt work all last year, didnt work all this year, maybe just maybe it doesnt work?

Reactions: Halberdier

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think a lot of people would've been critical if Chevy hadn't made a big move at the deadline, despite the team's lackluster performance this season. There would've been lamenting about this series loss - people wondering if Hayes would've made a difference. Stone would've made a difference, and if he was willing to sign, Chevy should've moved heaven and earth to get him here...but bringing in a high priced pure rental this year was a bad move from the outset.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
Liked the Stats trade, we seemed like we could go far and it was the right move at the time. Wasn't thrilled with the Hayes trade right off the hop. It didn't seem like the fix to save what was off this year, and at too steep a price.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
We didn’t have the salary cap to sign Stastny. The idea behind a TDL acquisition is the ability to acquire a well playing player to fit a need on the team at a small salary cap hit. That’s how you juice your lineup for the playoffs.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
These two seasons where the perfect time to take a chance and go for it imo. Worked well with Stastny and not so much with Hayes. Next season I'd stand pat for any 1st round picks and still use late rounds to shore up holes if a good opportunity presents itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robinson2187

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
I think the conclusion is that we really need a solution at 2C. Maybe somehow the inevitable Trouba trade will give us that missing piece (either by acquiring a great prospect who plays centre, a high draft pick that we’ll use to draft a centre, or a young rising-star centre who is already playing in the NHL). Not sure exactly how it’ll materialize, but I think it’s abundantly clear that we have an issue at 2C. There is insufficient consistency offensively beyond our top line.

We then won’t have to give up our 1st rounder & prospect again for a 2C at the deadline.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
St Louis and the Islanders are in round two and did nothing at the TDL.
TB did nothing at the TDL and went out in 4 straight against CBJ, who went "all in" at the TDL. I don't think this is a particularly strong way of assessing the strategy overall. It's understandable that a contending team with a perceived deficit will try to strengthen in that area at the TDL. It's also understandable if teams like the Blues or Isles that are very uncertain about even making the playoffs don't trade futures for rentals.

Reactions: Halberdier

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I was fine with the rental this year as it's likely the last year we'll be able to bring on a high caliber rental in the foreseeable future. The cap looks like its going to be super tight so coming up with $5M at the deadline to add won't be in the cards.

I'm not a fan of trading 1st round picks at all. I understand why they did last year and this year. That train has left the station though. From now on there won't be any top 6 forwards or top 4 D that we'll be renting. It will be depth players only and they won't cost a 1st rounder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad