No more Coaches Challenge on offsides plays (MOD EDIT: This is a poster's opinion

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Probably an unpopular opinion. But my perspective is that this rule should be left to the naked eye, and not be challengeable. Just because a skate blade is 1-millimeter offsides does not always mean there was a significant enough advantage that occurred 30 seconds prior, or even 5 seconds prior to the goal being scored for it to be overturned.

Linesmen seem to do a pretty damn good job already. When it's obvious it's offsides, there is an agreeable amount of advantage in play, and it should be blown dead as it is. If the challenge must remain, then maybe a modification of offsides is in order.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think the easy fix is to add a time limit to a challenge. If a coach challenges the offsides than a the refs have say 45 seconds to come to a conclusion. If you can’t make the decision in 45 seconds then the play wasn’t egregious enough to had a major impact on the play.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I think the easy fix is to add a time limit to a challenge. If a coach challenges the offsides than a the refs have say 45 seconds to come to a conclusion. If you can’t make the decision in 45 seconds then the play wasn’t egregious enough to had a major impact on the play.
This. If it's not egregious enough to be caught within 30 seconds of watching replays then get the game going again.

Reactions: Crescent Street

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Down with this too. But then in that case, video review team should get 45 seconds to review all goals for offsides and do away with the challenge if they are actually concerned with "getting it right".

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Replay should be for those plays that are obvious like when someone is a foot ahead of the play and it was blatantly missed, or things like whether the puck hit the crossbar or the roof of the net and bounced back out. But it's against the spirit of the game to spend 5 minutes poring over every angle possible and forensically researching whether someone's skate blade was a centimeter off the ice as the puck crossed the blue line.

But it's hard to set a firm rule on it without being legalistic to the letter of the law. You can't really say we'll review and overturn blatant infractions of the rule while allowing minor and miniscule infractions of the rule, then you set an arbitrary line somewhere. And if you're setting a line, it might as well be the actual line on the ice as the rule is written - then we're back to square one.

The only solution would be to have replays initiated by an off-ice official only on plays which look clearly offside to the naked eye. But even that will have issues. I'd be in favor of scrapping the whole system - how many times a year does a blatantly offside play result in a goal? Not a bang-bang play but a clear 6 inches ahead of the line play? Less than 10 across the entire league, probably. And that falls into a reasonable human error judgment call standard deviation as far as I'm concerned.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I think the time limit for a coach to challenge has to be very short and they shouldn't have the benefit of watching video to see if they want to challenge.

The rule is here, so I think it would be very hard to remove it, but small tweak like this will help. I get hating when a guy is millimeters offside, but if the rule is there, you can't say he's not offside when he is. My big issue wit removing is that I have seen blatant offsides, ones where guys received passes and gone in to score.....don't need replay, replay shows they were offside by 3-4 feet...no idea how linesmen miss that. Perhaps the argument would be "yeah, but that happens so rarely" - problem with that is that it still happens and sometimes means a lot (i.e. middle of a playoff game).

Trying to argue you can only overturn for blatant ones, etc. is a non-starter....remove all subjectiveness (if that's a word) at all costs.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Replay should be for those plays that are obvious like when someone is a foot ahead of the play and it was blatantly missed, or things like whether the puck hit the crossbar or the roof of the net and bounced back out. But it's against the spirit of the game to spend 5 minutes poring over every angle possible and forensically researching whether someone's skate blade was a centimeter off the ice as the puck crossed the blue line.

But it's hard to set a firm rule on it without being legalistic to the letter of the law. You can't really say we'll review and overturn blatant infractions of the rule while allowing minor and miniscule infractions of the rule, then you set an arbitrary line somewhere. And if you're setting a line, it might as well be the actual line on the ice as the rule is written - then we're back to square one.

The only solution would be to have replays initiated by an off-ice official only on plays which look clearly offside to the naked eye. But even that will have issues. I'd be in favor of scrapping the whole system - how many times a year does a blatantly offside play result in a goal? Not a bang-bang play but a clear 6 inches ahead of the line play? Less than 10 across the entire league, probably. And that falls into a reasonable human error judgment call standard deviation as far as I'm concerned.
All of the same thoughts here, 1000%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad