No Memorial Cup thread ?

QcS

Sep 13, 2003
au Québec!
Visit site
twi said:
Who will the winner (Moncton vs Quebec) play in the final?

5 teams in the tourny at this point?

alright, maybe a bit too confusing.

4 teams. (Moncton, Québec, Peterborough, Vancouver)

Moncton plays Québec tonight. The winner is automatically in the final.

The loser is automatically in the semi final vs the winner of the tie breaker (Peterborough vs Vancouver).

Rahan

May 27, 2003
Chicoutimi
Visit site
So who else is totally unimpressed by Jordan Staal so far in the memorial cup tournament?

He really is a non-factor and doesn't seem to be willing to create much. Doesn't skate with the puck... really doesn't do much. At least that's what I'm seeing. Anyone saw something I didn't?

martinc

Apr 12, 2006
I only saw the game against Quebec, and I think he was the 2nd best forward after Radulov that night. A lot less flashy than Radulov, but quite effective, especially on the PK.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Rahan said:
So who else is totally unimpressed by Jordan Staal so far in the memorial cup tournament?

He really is a non-factor and doesn't seem to be willing to create much. Doesn't skate with the puck... really doesn't do much. At least that's what I'm seeing. Anyone saw something I didn't?
I've had a very different impression, and up until now I've wondered about him. To me he seems very poised with the puck, exhibits great playmaking ability and is simply impossible to control physically, and seems to know what to do when he doesn't have the puck.

I think he is one of those players who slows the game down and waits for good openings and he seems to have all the tools to do it.

I'm sold.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
timlap said:
I've had a very different impression, and up until now I've wondered about him. To me he seems very poised with the puck, exhibits great playmaking ability and is simply impossible to control physically, and seems to know what to do when he doesn't have the puck.

I think he is one of those players who slows the game down and waits for good openings and he seems to have all the tools to do it.

I'm sold.
Agreed, he is in much the same mold as a Joe Thorton. I highly doubt he'll be anywhare near as good, but you never know with these Staal kids lol.

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
Fedz said:
Why isn't Sexsmith on the bench?

I see Tommy on the bench, and not Sexsmith. Anyone know why?

He took a shot to the head in practice and has a concussion. Happened a few days ago.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Rahan said:

Eric Staal wasn't much better at the same point either! Eric got much better as he progressed, Staal has all the tools and flashes all the traits. If he works hard and is determined, he will be a great player.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Mark Fistric is a sore loser .

The final will be great , its the best senario possible. Will the Cats get their revenge ?

QcS

Sep 13, 2003
au Québec!
Visit site
very good game tonight.. between 2 VERY good teams. I want to congratulate the Giants for their tournament, because even after losing the first 2, you knew this team had a good team and would be competitive.. and they were. They took out the weak link (Peterborough) and had they won tonight they could have won the championship in my opinion.

Only 1 thing sucked about tonight.. that NASTY crosscheck to Tjordman's head at the end of the game. UNCALLED FOR. I can`'t even remember that player's name, but he should get a suspension for that cheap shot and that display of poor sportsmanship. I understand emotions are strong in tournaments like this, but Hunter got 21 games for something similar, that guy should get a lenghty suspension in the W next year for his move. Teach a lesson to the kids at least.. acting like a fool is not accepted.

I doubt anything will be done for that though.

We should have a GREAT game sunday.. Those 2 teams face off once again, and this time for the big prize. I'm happy the Q gets to prove to the country that it`s on the same level and can field excellent teams. It's even more satisfying to realize that even teams like Chicoutimi and Bathurst would have done good in this tournament i believe.

I'll be cheering for Québec on sunday, but am just happy the mem cup is now in the Q.

Whawks33

Apr 1, 2002
Portland OR
Visit site
Leph28 said:
Only 1 thing sucked about tonight.. that NASTY crosscheck to Tjordman's head at the end of the game. UNCALLED FOR. I can`'t even remember that player's name, but he should get a suspension for that cheap shot and that display of poor sportsmanship. I understand emotions are strong in tournaments like this, but Hunter got 21 games for something similar, that guy should get a lenghty suspension in the W next year for his move. Teach a lesson to the kids at least.. acting like a fool is not accepted.

Fistric is his name. Watt (the Vancouver guy the sort of started things with Samson) is known for being a hothead and not-so-clean player, but Fistric usually isn't the type who does stuff like that cross check. Usually hits hard, but for the most part clean. But it was completely uncalled for and classless. Lose with grace and diginity, not like that.

The WHL may suspend him, but somehow I think it would be a gesture only as he'll be 20 next season, and I really expect Dallas to sign him and have him playing somewhere in thier system next season.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
As a minor theory on the (still inexcusable) attack by Fistric, I imagine he somehow saw Tordjman's attempt to pull Samson away from Watt as a bit of a 3rd man in, and/or some of the wording Tordjman used to try to convince Samson not to bother probably wasn't very complimentary to the Giants. Doesn't excuse what Fistric did, but it's probably not as simple as just saying Fistric was on a complete mindless rampage. Only a mostly mindless rampage. Won't be anything the WHL can do about it, though, as Fistric will have graduated out of the league. Hopefully Fistric will get his class back and make a public apology, at least.

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
Don't hockey leagues respect each other's suspensions? I thought that if Fistric was suspended then the rest of hockey would have to honour it. I remember there were similar issues with Brandon Sugden's lifetime ban a few years ago.

HfxMoose

Nov 17, 2003
Halifax, Nova Scotia
sec17 said:
Don't hockey leagues respect each other's suspensions? I thought that if Fistric was suspended then the rest of hockey would have to honour it. I remember there were similar issues with Brandon Sugden's lifetime ban a few years ago.
It should for sure carry over to whatever league he plays in next year. I can't beleive he defended what he did afterwards :shakehead what a disgrace.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
Blind Gardien said:
Hopefully Fistric will get his class back and make a public apology, at least.

No only he did not but he justified his move... :shakehead What an idiot:

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/news_story/?ID=167066&hubname=

Their goalie was in (the melee) for no reason and that wasn't acceptable,'' said Fistric. ''I took it upon myself to get him out of there.

''I was sticking up for my buddy. I wasn't trying to hurt anybody.''

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
Beatnik said:
No only he did not but he justified his move... :shakehead What an idiot:

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/news_story/?ID=167066&hubname=

Their goalie was in (the melee) for no reason and that wasn't acceptable,'' said Fistric. ''I took it upon myself to get him out of there.

''I was sticking up for my buddy. I wasn't trying to hurt anybody.''

yeah... so instead of going over there during the melee to "defend his teammate", he waits till tordjman is skating away back to the net to jump him...

this guys a real red foreman special.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Belgican said:
Remparts up 2-0 after one period.

Moncton outplayed them early on and got some PP but could not produce . Good players made things happen and that's what Radulov did and the Remparts are up 2-0. Moncton outshot the Remparts 16-7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->