Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
FE104EF9-7D95-4F6F-9C72-A3DE1D9380AE.jpeg

Bit of an odd couple.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I would let Klefbom go in the expansion draft.

Hockey is a sport where as a defenceman your shoulder is going to get hit ... multiple times every game.

That's just never going to be a good thing with his shoulder, some how I doubt it magically gets better as he gets older.

If they select him the Oilers will gain $4 million in cap space which buys you a lot more in the flat cap era.

They'll have that room and more if they let Larsson walk and Seattle picks Russell, Neal, Kassian. And they don't really need to use that protection slot on anyone else if they don't go with 7 forwards.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think people think we have a bunch of depth on defense, but we don't actually know if we do or not. It is time to find out, I agree.
If we dont gamble on Jones we will never know. He will be stuck in a lower role so will never truly impress, be passed in the depth chart, and will leave the org before long. And maybe another team will discover his potential.

And yes, that would have happened to Bear if we didnt buy out Sekera. You cant just expect a prospect to blow everyone away in a few pre season games to truly earn a spot. It often must be built, which takes time.

Jones obviously has the tools. He would be playing with Larsson in the 2nd pairing. There would be a high chance for him to show his potential if he has it

Reactions: Oilhawks

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
If we dont gamble on Jones we will never know. He will be stuck in a lower role so will never truly impress, be passed in the depth chart, and will leave the org before long. And maybe another team will discover his potential.

And yes, that would have happened to Bear if we didnt buy out Sekera. You cant just expect a prospect to blow everyone away in a few pre season games to truly earn a spot. It often must be built, which takes time.

Jones obviously has the tools. He would be playing with Larsson in the 2nd pairing. There would be a high chance for him to show his potential if he has it
I fully agree with you. I'm just hesitant to tout our "depth" as none of it has shown to be at all worthy of NHL minutes.

But I agree with your sentiments that there's really only one way to find out, and we have certainly come to that time.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Just want to see where we're at for him right now.

I know I am higher on him still than a lot of other posters here - some have given up on him through the first seven games here after a lot of us had him on our 2nd pairings to start the year.

With the expansion draft coming, it's pretty clear that Caleb Jones' play determines a lot of things for us as he might be the one gone.

I would say he's been quite up and down this season - the numbers suggest that too.

I'd like to keep playing him to see what we have, given he's playing more limited minutes (averaging 14-15 mins a game).

What are your thoughts?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Just want to see where we're at for him right now.

I know I am higher on him still than a lot of other posters here - some have given up on him through the first seven games here after a lot of us had him on our 2nd pairings to start the year.

With the expansion draft coming, it's pretty clear that Caleb Jones' play determines a lot of things for us as he might be the one gone.

I would say he's been quite up and down this season - the numbers suggest that too.

I'd like to keep playing him to see what we have, given he's playing more limited minutes (averaging 14-15 mins a game).

What are your thoughts?

He has always been overrated on this board and imo never in the same conversation as Bear. I was shocked many on here were suggesting we protect him over Bear prior to Bear breaking out. Bears development trajectory post draft was stunning. Jones development a step down from Bears imo.

The first time I felt we had a potential top 4 defender in Jones was last year. He really impressed me, albeit in a lesser role.

But his play last year wasn't "amazing" and he is relatively old for a player to still not have shown more than he has.

It's still too early to write him off but just being fair Laggesson and Bouchard just passed him temporarily on the depth chart imo.

He still has a good opportunity this year to take that next step but if he doesn't you don't "need" to waste a protection slot on him in the expansion draft. With this wild and wacky group of defense it's very premature to really project his play or his protected status. Right now not good, next month maybe he is our best guy.

Certainly too early to write off but with the talent behind/around him he isn't impressing like we all hoped and doesn't have a guaranteed roster spot.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He’s a traditionally a poor starter. I’m hoping he will rebound. I’ve never been super high on him but I feel there is an nhl player there.

Long term though not sure where he fits. Broberg is a true blue chipper and I like Samurokov more than Jones as a prospect and feel he brings an element we lack. I’m not sure Jones has a future here long term.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I like him this year. Although the better he plays this year, the more likely hes claimed in the ED.

But to be honest, if thats the case, thats not the end of the world. We have some really good young D coming up

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think it's way too early to give up on this kid. As we've seen with Nurse, when the lightbulb goes off (if it does), it's more than worth the wait.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I think it's way too early to give up on this kid. As we've seen with Nurse, when the lightbulb goes off (if it does), it's more than worth the wait.

Thankfully he's under contract through the end of next season at a price where the full cap hit could be buried if things go really wrong.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

11 games into a year with no preseason for a guy in his first full season. He needs to be grittier but that often comes with time. Tippett is doing him good by holding him accountable, he hasn't actually struggled that much outside of the PK, but he's learning some tough lessons right now.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Jones has some time to win a LHD spot for good. He just needs to show he is a step above both Lagesson and Koekkoek.

He is an ideal expansion draft carrot to dangle for Seattle and if he stays then he can be of help in luring Seth over

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Decent player, and way too early to give up on him or anything, but like last year when Bear passed him, I think this year Lagesson is passing him and I'd rather see Lagesson get more opportunities. Some will disagree but I've really liked Lagesson's play this season.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Caleb Jones is a good player. f*** them haters bro
IMO whatever he worked on in the offseason did more damage than good. Looks like he focused on jumping up into the play to take that next step into becoming a top 4 Dman when maybe he should have worked on the defensive side to become a NHL regular first.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Decent player, and way too early to give up on him or anything, but like last year when Bear passed him, I think this year Lagesson is passing him and I'd rather see Lagesson get more opportunities. Some will disagree but I've really liked Lagesson's play this season.
Lagesson doesnt have the same quickness \ mobility but is a more poised and reliable Dman.

Reactions: ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Lagesson doesnt have the same quickness \ mobility but is a more poised and reliable Dman.

Yeah I'm one of the bigger Larsson fans here (though I too can admit I wish he got back to 2017 form) and I see a lot of prime Larsson in Lagesson. With Larsson likely gone after this season I think Lagesson will be an important stabilizing presence on our blue line for years to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad