No longterm future for American teams in so-called non hockey markets! (endorsements)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Jester said:
thirty years ago philly was not a "hockey market." it takes time, and success doesn't hurt. in terms of endorsements there are obviously limiting factors depending on the market that the player is in (this is true in canada as well). the bigger the market (in general), the better the possibilities. however, this does not mean that players cannot get excellent endorsements in smaller cities as the "hockey market" hopefully grows. they won't be at the same level as a player in NYC/Philly/Boston would be... however, the opportunities for a player in Toronto/Montreal are better as well...
I agree with you, but I never once said anything about players not being able to get deals, I simply said that if the deal is better somewhere else that the players may opt to leave.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
arrbez said:
Hey, I'm not saying he should or will play in Toronto. I'm just saying that if he did, it would undoubtably be more profitable

for him, yes... i think the toronto market is pretty much maxed out as far as providing any value to the league financially.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Puckhead said:
As a matter of fact I do! The fact that TBay won the cup means what exactly? The fact that Jay Feaster the GM of the Bolts could barely give tickets away until the team started winning in January. To further prove my point that the state of Florida does not support hockey, is that in early November I found myself vacationing just outside of Tampa Bay, and every morning I eargerly checked the Tampa Bay Tribune for anything to do with the lockout or any news in general about hockey, do you know what I found? A tiny three line blurb about "no talks planned, and day 35 of the lockout". This, in the city that won that thing called the Stanley Cup! You see, I happen to understand, unlike most of you, that simply because a team wins the cup, does not mean that they support hockey. Also, the fact that you have a decent season ticket base means about the same. Tampa wins the cup...too bad a very minute percentage of Floridians know what the hell that is...and that is part of the incredibly minute percentage who follow hockey at all south of the border. Believe me this is not an anti-American rant, I think that the game does belong in the States, just put it where people actually know it exists. I say Carolina is not a hockey market, and I get idiotic comments about how when Carolina made it to the finals you couldn't find a ticket, well last I checked they haven't even made the playoffs since and the place is more than half empty.

My whole argument when starting this thread was to say that certain teams will lose their top end talent when they can get the same money and have better opportunities for endorsement deals elsewhere. How anyone can say "do you even watch hockey?" is ignorant to put it mildly. If you don't agree with what I say, then back it up with some facts. I never said teams can't draw crowds, I said that under the new look CBA it will be difficult to keep your stars, and if that is the case on an ongoing basis, those teams will not be around.

So in future please stick to facts regarding what I said, and don't go off on your own tangent questioning my knowledge of the game of hockey. You are the one who knows not of what you speak.
What do you expect? Florida doesn't have a crack writing staff for hockey like they would in say, Philadelphia. Hockey's only been there at the NHL level for only a decade. Plus, by day 35 of the lockout there wasn't a damn thing happening with the negotiations, it took until January for everything to start heating up, including these boards.

And you'd be the last person I would consult with regards to ignorance, speaking that throughout this thread you have spewed mindless bantor without even checking your facts. Infact, you've gone out of your way to defend your position by responding to every post against you to add even less facts.

I understand you're trying to make a point, and it's taken over 100 posts to formulate what exactly you're trying to say, which has been buried under uninformed statements and ignorant remarks. The CBA's going to cater to teams who wish to improve from within rather than buying their talent. One thing that's going to change is the fact that star-studded lineups will end and you'll see the best talents dispersed around the league while the coaching and management staffs seek to build teams based on roles, rather than "best FA's"

rwilson99

Puckhead said:
I agree with you, but I never once said anything about players not being able to get deals, I simply said that if the deal is better somewhere else that the players may opt to leave.

Unfortunately, you ignore the universal taxation issues that will counteract any limited endoresment effect, especially in the Canadian markets.

Concept = Garbage

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
rwilson99 said:
Unfortunately, you ignore the universal taxation issues that will counteract any limited endoresment effect, especially in the Canadian markets.

Concept = Garbage
One caveat about the taxation differences - it only helps you on half your salary (home games). In California (I'm not sure about other states, but it is likely similar), all players, both home and away, are subject to CA state income tax on income earned in CA, even if their employer (team) is out of state. So when Dallas (no state income tax in TX) plays in San Jose, Mike Modano has to pay the CA Franchise Tax Board state income tax (up to 9.3%) based on 1/82 of his salary.

Oh, to be an NHL players accountant.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Sotnos said:
You post a bunch of biased & uninformed opinions and try to pass them off as fact, people correct you, and you are being "lambasted"? What did you expect really?

Especially when you try to judge a city's interest in hockey by picking up the sports page when there was zero activity in the lockout and expect the inactivity to be on the front page. He couldn't even get the name of the local paper right, which really was the closet thing to a fact he had in his entire argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad