Blue Jays Discussion: No longer the off-season. It's time for real baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Hmm... i thought he would be better than whatever we have after Ryu now, but whatever.

Prior to injuries, Walker would have been the #4 or #5 starter behind Pearson and Ray for sure. Might have been behind Matz. Currently, they definitely could use him but signing a #4 starter with injury history for three years wouldn't have been a smart move IMO.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Prior to injuries, Walker would have been the #4 or #5 starter behind Pearson and Ray for sure. Might have been behind Matz. Currently, they definitely could use him but signing a #4 starter with injury history for three years wouldn't have been a smart move IMO.

What's so special about Ray and Matz? They look like the definition of mediocre.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Walker is also the definition of mediocre. Jays have enough back end starters and Walker wanted multiple years. Better to find out what you have in your internal options for cheap than waste money on another Roark. SWR and Manoah aren't far away either

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Disagree that Walker is 'the definition of mediocrity'.

161 ERA+ last year and a 135 ERA+ in 2017. Missed the two seasons in between through injury, but when healthy he's been a legitimate #2-3 starter with quality stuff.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Disagree that Walker is 'the definition of mediocrity'.

161 ERA+ last year and a 135 ERA+ in 2017. Missed the two seasons in between through injury, but when healthy he's been a legitimate #2-3 starter with quality stuff.

His peripherals were way worse in both of those seasons - still good in 2017, but pretty bad last year. He's a solid pitcher, but he would be another guy to throw on the pile of maybe-ok starters they already have rather than a legitimate upgrade.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I still firmly believe people have major overreactions to a lot of Montoyo's moves. But there's no defense for bringing in Panik to hit for the catcher while Kirk sits on the bench.

Presumably it was to get the righty-lefty matchup but Panik hits better against LH pitching and had a ghastly .590 OPS against righties last year. And .620 the year before that. Compared to a pure hitter like Kirk who has been taking in preseason it’s just ... not even close.

Plus it was pinch-hitting for Jansen so they were wasting an extra player off their bench if they did manage to tie the game.

Inexcusable stuff. Plus with a young team you should be trying to get your young long-term players experience in high-leverage situations, not Joe Panik who is an old fringe player clinging to his MLB career.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Presumably it was to get the righty-lefty matchup but Panik hits better against LH pitching and had a ghastly .590 OPS against righties last year. And .620 the year before that. Compared to a pure hitter like Kirk who has been taking in preseason it’s just ... not even close.

Plus it was pinch-hitting for Jansen so they were wasting an extra player off their bench if they did manage to tie the game.

Inexcusable stuff. Plus with a young team you should be trying to get your young long-term players experience in high-leverage situations, not Joe Panik who is an old fringe player clinging to his MLB career.

Yep, and Green has better numbers against lefties. Literally everything suggest Kirk should have come in. Honestly, sticking with Jansen would have been a more justifiable move.

Reactions: phillipmike

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yep, and Green has better numbers against lefties. Literally everything suggest Kirk should have come in. Honestly, sticking with Jansen would have been a more justifiable move.

I think it might have been the most bizarre pinch-hitting decision I’ve ever seen.

Like I posted in the other thread, here are the OPS numbers for all 3 players involved in 2020 :

Panik - .590
Jansen - .789
Kirk - 1.264

It literally is Mr. Burns putting Homer Simpson in for Darryl Strawberry.

Reactions: Kurtz

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

Montoyo showing early he’s going to poorly manage and use panik like he’s a gem

Reactions: Morgs

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I still firmly believe people have major overreactions to a lot of Montoyo's moves. But there's no defense for bringing in Panik to hit for the catcher while Kirk sits on the bench.

I had to leave in the bottom of the eighth. I taped the game so I could watch Kirk hit. Thought Kirk would pinch hit for Jansen. Seeing Panik pissed me off. I thought worse case Jansen would hit. Forgot about Panik.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Man I really forgot how annoying Montoyo's decisions can be

Seriously. Even if Panik was playing somewhere on the infield you could argue it's helping ease guys into the season by having someone DH.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
Nonsense.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
They love their limited upside "character" guys. The Jay have 30 arms better than this guy.

He probably throws a couple innings today or tomorrow and gets replaced. He's part of the shuffle to keep fresh arms in the pen.

Reactions: canucksfan

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Is there a version of Jays talk anymore? Fan call in show?
I was wondering the same thing, the only thing that I know of is the podcast with Mike Wilner called deep left field, I think new ones come out every Thursday. I wish that they had a call in show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad