Trade: [NO/LA] Anthony Davis for Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, and three 1st round picks

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
Fair point, but Leonard was sheltered his first 3/4 seasons behind the Big 3, and also missed basically a whole season during his prime.
Ridiculous. He won Finals MVP his 3rd year and DPoY his 4th year. Ginobli didn't even start. Jordan missed basically a whole season. So what.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Ok, and Chris Paul has a higher career PER than Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

I think you know who I'm taking in that one, too.

Kareem's PER is higher if you look at just his career up until his age 33 season (Paul's age)

In a direct comparison between Davis and Leonard, Davis has a career PER of 27.4, while Leonard's is 22.6

Leonard's peak season is 27.6 vs 30.8 for Davis

But since the discussion is about who is better now, their PER's for last season were:

25.8 for Leonard vs 30.3 for Davis

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If you look at Kareem's PER is higher if you look at just his career up until his age 33 season (Paul's age)

In a direct comparison between Davis and Leonard, Davis has a career PER of 27.4, while Leonard's is 22.6

Leonard's peak season is 27.6 vs 30.8 for Davis

But since the discussion is about who is better now, their PER's for last season were:

25.8 for Leonard vs 30.3 for Davis
I like Anthony Davis - I've said as much in this thread that I believe he's a top-5 player in the league.

I just happen to take Kawhi Leonard above him in any circumstance. Because I believe Kawhi Leonard is a top-3 player in the world, along with LeBron James and Kevin Durant.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ridiculous. He won Finals MVP his 3rd year and DPoY his 4th year. Ginobli didn't even start. Jordan missed basically a whole season. So what.

After he won FMVP they realized what they really had and he then got a lot more exposure. Before that, they were developing him the typical Spurs way. Hence why from 13-14 to 14-15 his stats went up across the board.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I like Anthony Davis - I've said as much in this thread that I believe he's a top-5 player in the league.

I just happen to take Kawhi Leonard above him in any circumstance. Because I believe Kawhi Leonard is a top-3 player in the world, along with LeBron James and Kevin Durant.

There's really no right or wrong answer here

It's not like, say, Davis vs Irving, for example

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
As more of this comes out, I wonder if some of the early speculation about the Lakers front office possibly not knowing how some of the cap details work, like the timing of the trade, is accurate. It sure seems like it.
According to Ramona Shelburne the Lakers realized after the trade was agreed to that they didn't create enough space for another max player.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
According to Ramona Shelburne the Lakers realized after the trade was agreed to that they didn't create enough space for another max player.

if that's true then i really don't know what to say

pelinka was an agent for years. guy has dealt with salary caps his entire career. its hard to believe they wouldn't think this all through before making the deal. unless rambis is the one truly calling every single shot without anyone else having a say

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

pelinka doesn't seem like a smart GM but i find that very hard to believe. every team has CBA experts on their payroll and pelinka himself was an agent so that should be his specialty.

Reactions: Voight

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think part of the reason that package looks so appealing is because I trust David Griffin to turn those assets into something worthwhile more than I trust the Lakers brass.

Like, yeah - Anthony Davis is amazing to have, and I'm very happy he's a Laker. But the roster is literally empty outside of him, LeBron, and Kuzma since they want to move everyone else for more cap space.

I think, given all of those assets, David Griffin is going to turn New Orleans into a powerhouse sooner than later.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I think part of the reason that package looks so appealing is because I trust David Griffin to turn those assets into something worthwhile more than I trust the Lakers brass.

Like, yeah - Anthony Davis is amazing to have, and I'm very happy he's a Laker. But the roster is literally empty outside of him, LeBron, and Kuzma since they want to move everyone else for more cap space.

I think, given all of those assets, David Griffin is going to turn New Orleans into a powerhouse sooner than later.

its a win-win for both teams. LA is in win now mode and the pels got some guys who can potentially become all-stars in the future and some draft picks. griffin is a great GM

lakers need that 3rd max guy bad. yes they could go the depth route but bringing in a 3rd max guy will not only help now but will be very helpful for the lakers to build around once lebron retires

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Only Jordan and LeBron have a higher career PER than Davis

I'd argue it's a stretch to say Leonard is better
It’s not a stretch. Leonard is a 2 time defensive player of the year, 2 time Finals MVP and 2 time NBA Champion. If we had DD this year instead, I doubt we even beat Phili.

They are both outstanding all around players I just don’t see how you can say it’s a stretch when he has won more.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
its a win-win for both teams. LA is in win now mode and the pels got some guys who can potentially become all-stars in the future and some draft picks. griffin is a great GM

lakers need that 3rd max guy bad. yes they could go the depth route but bringing in a 3rd max guy will not only help now but will be very helpful for the lakers to build around once lebron retires

You can have CP3 ...... for free.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
You can have CP3 ...... for free.

giphy.gif

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Lakers will still have to add, Davis and an aging LeBron and essentially nobody else of note loses in 5 or less to Kawhi's Raptors. I still wouldn't bet on them to make it out of the west next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad