Boston Globe No ice rink for teens who discovered TD Garden's shirking of fundraising duties

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
“Damn kids these days, always on their phone or computer up to no good”

*kids organize together and sequester promised funds through hard work and wholesome collaboration”

“Damn kids, making me have to actually hold myself to my fraudulent hypocritical value system, just go back on your phone or something”

Good lawd I can’t for the youth movement to fully take over. So sick of these selfish prigs sitting on their ivory thrones of morality pretending to represent hard work and good values. f*** em all

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Sure if it was 10 v. 2 but 50 million for a community center? Super fishy. We’ll never get a budget though unfortunately.
There’s a town house in that neighborhood going for 2 mil alone right across from the projects. JP is crazy $ these days ... we got our first and only condo there 10 years ago for 215k.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alicat

member 96824

There’s a town house in that neighborhood going for 2 mil alone right across from the projects. JP is crazy $ these days ... we got our first and only condo there 10 years ago for 215k.

Sure, but wasn’t this thing budgeted two years ago?

And like pointed out earlier...A D1 arena on is getting built for cheaper.

Since we’re using homes as a comparable..Average price per square foot for a home in J.P. is $528 according to Zillow. 50,000 SQ feet would be $26.4M. Like mentioned earlier, a hockey rink costs about $7M

I dunno, I’m highly skeptical. I’ve seen a lot of “price it so it doesn’t happen” type deals in my day. Something’s not adding up here

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World

Since we’re using homes as a comparable..Average price per square foot for a home in J.P. is $528 according to Zillow. 50,000 SQ feet would be $26.4M. Like mentioned earlier, a hockey rink costs about $7M

I dunno, I’m highly skeptical. I’ve seen a lot of “price it so it doesn’t happen” type deals in my day. Something’s not adding up here
It's called gov't involvement. Take them out of it and I bet it's built and being used within a year.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

2 years is a long time plus that area is prime real estate which easily drives up the cost.

They are trying to build not only a rink but an indoor field. Between that and the land alone, you’re well over the initial budget. Add in the cost to staff and operate the facility on top of the security (it is near the most dangerous project in the city, Bromley-Heath).

Zillow isn’t going to be of any help.

When it comes to property, the city would rather sell to the wealthy developers than help their own constituents.

member 96824

2 years is a long time plus that area is prime real estate which easily drives up the cost.

They are trying to build not only a rink but an indoor field. Between that and the land alone, you’re well over the initial budget. Add in the cost to staff and operate the facility on top of the security (it is near the most dangerous project in the city, Bromley-Heath).

Zillow isn’t going to be of any help.

When it comes to property, the city would rather sell to the wealthy developers than help their own constituents.

This message is confusing, I might be misreading it. Is it prime real estate or the most dangerous project in the city? Is the city not being helpful or is the cost prohibitive?

Zillow has more data than anyone, so I’m just so curious how the $50 number came out and how that went up 132% in just two years after the mistake was discovered and the kids came knocking on the door of the agreement that wasn’t honored. Funny how that happened

member 96824

Hey I get it though...the city and state have bigger fish to fry. Why help the kids when you can spend your time worrying about where Uber’s and Lyfts are dropping off people at the airport.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
This message is confusing, I might be misreading it. Is it prime real estate or the most dangerous project in the city? Is the city not being helpful or is the cost prohibitive?

Zillow has more data than anyone, so I’m just so curious how the $50 number came out and how that went up 132% in just two years after the mistake was discovered and the kids came knocking on the door of the agreement that wasn’t honored. Funny how that happened
They’re trying to clean up the neighborhood and by doing so, it has gentrified it at a rapid rate.

On the flip side, even though it has been cleaned up, it is still next door to the worst project (crime wise) in the city.

That is Boston. One side of town is nice and the other, not so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad