Boston Globe No ice rink for teens who discovered TD Garden's shirking of fundraising duties

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Really feel bad for the kids - apparently the cost of the project wound up to be $50M - and only $17M was raised, including $1M from JJ and the gang.

The teens who discovered TD Garden failed to host local sports fund-raisers? They won’t get their ice rink, after all - The Boston Globe

I'm surprised they haven't highlighted what they're doing in terms of charity work a little more prominently on the TD Garden site. Unless, of course, they're doing nothing additional since it was "discovered" they shirked their responsibility two years ago.

TD Garden owners agreed to hold fund-raisers for Boston — but they never have - The Boston Globe

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
$17 million just doesn't buy what it used to.
It does buy a lot of these though

e471bfb8-83b4-4471-ae58-3bb11b0b9a74_2.8f0c73a148d5519fe5241d4ec542b74f.jpeg

Reactions: easton117 and BMC

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine
I can't read the article, but I can tell you first hand that it doesn't cost 50mil to build a hockey rink....

I'm an architect and designed a rink for a private HS.... it's really nice rink (and I've been playing and coaching hockey for 45 years, and been in A LOT of rinks!.... this is a nice rink!)

Cost about 7 million.... could we have spent a couple million more? Sure - there are always more bells and whistles you can add... but "only 17 million" will buy you one hell of a hockey rink

Reactions: BMC

member 96824

I can't read the article, but I can tell you first hand that it doesn't cost 50mil to build a hockey rink....

I'm an architect and designed a rink for a private HS.... it's really nice rink (and I've been playing and coaching hockey for 45 years, and been in A LOT of rinks!.... this is a nice rink!)

Cost about 7 million.... could we have spent a couple million more? Sure - there are always more bells and whistles you can add... but "only 17 million" will buy you one hell of a hockey rink

Yeah but Vandelay industries has about $43M in administration costs.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Pretty obvious what happened

The land is now too valuable to simply have a recreation facility for the neighborhood.

In an interview Wednesday, Jones said the committed donations of $17 million are not enough. A reassessment of costs for the project put building costs alone at $30 million. A total accounting of the project could be closer to $50 million, she said. That’s not including the costs of operating the center, at levels the community can afford.

Jones said that Urban Edge board members assessed the challenges, as well as the organization’s core mission of developing housing, and decided to pull back from the recreational center.

There are no new development plans yet for the land, across from Jackson Square. Urban Edge has hired a new CEO, Emilio Dorcely, who will take over in September, and could look at ways to develop the property while incorporating some sort of programming for area youth.

“We have basically said we’re going to push pause on the development at the site right now,” Jones said.

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Pretty obvious what happened

The land is now too valuable to simply have a recreation facility for the neighborhood.

In an interview Wednesday, Jones said the committed donations of $17 million are not enough. A reassessment of costs for the project put building costs alone at $30 million. A total accounting of the project could be closer to $50 million, she said. That’s not including the costs of operating the center, at levels the community can afford.

Jones said that Urban Edge board members assessed the challenges, as well as the organization’s core mission of developing housing, and decided to pull back from the recreational center.

There are no new development plans yet for the land, across from Jackson Square. Urban Edge has hired a new CEO, Emilio Dorcely, who will take over in September, and could look at ways to develop the property while incorporating some sort of programming for area youth.

“We have basically said we’re going to push pause on the development at the site right now,” Jones said.
The cost of land in that area is huge and when you add in their lofty design plus the costs to run and the place, I can see why the cost ballooned and the project was scrapped.

That part of JP/Roxbury is going through major gentrification and large developers are gobbling up land to put in mixed use spaces at an alarming rate. I've seen it happen down the orange line in the Forest Hills area and I've seen it creeping into Roslindale and Hyde Park.

You can get more than $500k for a small house or condo in that area now. I live a bit further from that neighborhood but apartments are easily over $2,200 a month and houses are in the high 400's.

City officials see dollar signs and are easily persuaded by the promise of multiple low income apartments in each new building being constructed. Because of this, large suburban developers are getting board approval with ease while the city continues to make the approval process more difficult for private citizens and smaller groups from within the city limits.

In Forest Hills, they built an obnoxious and obscenely priced condo building over a huge lot that serviced commuters and the court house. When asked about how they would deal with the impacted commuters, the developer said that they could drive to a suburban commuter rail station like Dedham to park each day.

I feel bad for these kids and I hope they are able to figure out how to get a recreation center in the neighborhood because they deserve one and need one.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
He didn't live up to the original deal. Maybe had he done that, the kids would already have the rink already.
FYI, even if they had that money, the land wouldn't likely be there.

Yes, JJ shouldn't have gone back on the original deal but even if he hadn't they wouldn't have enough funds for the project unless they moved it well outside of the neighborhood.

What is going on in the city is an absolute abomination.

I hope these kids can get the ear of the mayoral candidates who make this project a part of their platform. At this point, this is their only hope unless an anonymous benefactor steps up.

The city failed these kids not JJ.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Are people actually reading up on this or just seeing an opportunity to say they hate Jacobs?
JJ most likely never even knew there was a deal brokered by his then Boston front man Larry Moulter with disgraced Boston politician the late Kevin Fitzgerald.

Keep in mind Jacobs has already paid the $17 million to the Commonwealth - but what has the state done with the money?

Reactions: BrainOfJ and Alicat

member 96824

I actually whomever the contractor that said can’t be done for less than 50 is the culprit here. Curious who hired that guy or girl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->