No Horton or Burns for Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
Fedz said:
Now is that not the stupidest policy ever in the National Hockey League's existence or what?

Why? I say it's awfully gracious of the team to give Schultz, Bouchard, and Burns even one year. Look, if you sign a pro contract, you play where you're paid to play. If I ran things I would've thought twice about letting them go the first time. It's not necessarily good for development, and it's risk for no reward.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
ceber said:
Why? I say it's awfully gracious of the team to give Schultz, Bouchard, and Burns even one year. Look, if you sign a pro contract, you play where you're paid to play. If I ran things I would've thought twice about letting them go the first time. It's not necessarily good for development, and it's risk for no reward.
No reward??

You don't think going and playing with some of the best players your age and having a chance at WINNING something is a reward?

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
MrMastodonFarm said:
No reward??

You don't think going and playing with some of the best players your age and having a chance at WINNING something is a reward?

Nice reward for the players. Not so much reward for the guys paying the bills. Hate to see a kid blow out his knee fooling around in a junior tournament after you've invested so much money in him. I can see why the Wild let them go; it's not all bad for the team. I'm just saying it's not surprising they're not sending anyone twice and I'm not surprised some teams don't let their guys go at all.

leafaholix*

ceber said:
Nice reward for the players. Not so much reward for the guys paying the bills. Hate to see a kid blow out his knee fooling around in a junior tournament after you've invested so much money in him. I can see why the Wild let them go; it's not all bad for the team. I'm just saying it's not surprising they're not sending anyone twice and I'm not surprised some teams don't let their guys go at all.
Yes, because playing again 6'5, 230 pound goons in the AHL is much safer than playing in a 2 week tournament against teenagers.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
Leafaholix said:
Yes, because playing again 6'5, 230 pound goons in the AHL is much safer than playing in a 2 week tournament against teenagers.

You can say the same about the NHL. The difference is that this is what these guys are being paid to do.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
ceber said:
You can say the same about the NHL. The difference is that this is what these guys are being paid to do.
They do not get paid while they are on loan to a World Junior team.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
MrMastodonFarm said:
They do not get paid while they are on loan to a World Junior team.

Precisely! I'm obviously not getting my point across. Trust me, I've got one in there. ;)

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I do agree that the risk of injury while playing in the WJC isn't very high but still possible, I just don't see the need for Burns to be loaned.

As for the Wild policy. Yeah it sucks for the WJC but think about it this way. The Wild are letting them play for a year because they are rookies and aren't logging a lot of ice time, so let them go out and breathe a bit, have fun. But sophomore year, they should improve on both ice time and play. And if they go to the WJC, they might regress or stalemate for a tad.

leafaholix*

Hmm... 2 weeks of hockey against the best young talent in the world and a very good chance at a Championship... OR... 2 weeks of the AHL, where his team is likely to lose most of their games and he comes out with nothing?

If you can't see that, you really should look it over.

The WJC is nothing but GOOD.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Leafs...

First off Burns is the best defensive prospect in the Wild system at the moment. I'd edge out Thelen and stick Burns up there.

Secondly with a group of prospects namely Coburn, Phaneuf, Weber, Belle, Barker, Seabroke, and Green or whoever, how much ice time do you think Burns is going to get in a game?

Third with Harding out the Aeros need good defensemen because frankly Kettles and Smith aren't exactly great. Looking at the Aeros website, they are really wishing that Smith was staked to the goal so he doesn't wander off and get lost.

Fourth, while the WJC is nothing but good, there is a slight difference of good. You got teams like US and Russia, middle tier teams, and then drop off teams.

Burns is developing extremely nicely in the AHL for the time being and the Wild believe (and I rather take their word than yours, sorry) that Burns' development should be in Houston not in the WJC.

And Houston isn't going to lose all their games. They have really pressured the other teams and lost by slight margins...

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
ceber said:
Precisely! I'm obviously not getting my point across. Trust me, I've got one in there. ;)
I completely see where you're coming from. I'd love to see Burns out there with Canada (I still think he'll be a great d-man in the league) but I fully understand why Minesota wants to keep him on the farm team.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Leafs...

First off Burns is the best defensive prospect in the Wild system at the moment. I'd edge out Thelen and stick Burns up there.

Secondly with a group of prospects namely Coburn, Phaneuf, Weber, Belle, Barker, Seabroke, and Green or whoever, how much ice time do you think Burns is going to get in a game?

Third with Harding out the Aeros need good defensemen because frankly Kettles and Smith aren't exactly great. Looking at the Aeros website, they are really wishing that Smith was staked to the goal so he doesn't wander off and get lost.

Fourth, while the WJC is nothing but good, there is a slight difference of good. You got teams like US and Russia, middle tier teams, and then drop off teams.

Burns is developing extremely nicely in the AHL for the time being and the Wild believe (and I rather take their word than yours, sorry) that Burns' development should be in Houston not in the WJC.

And Houston isn't going to lose all their games. They have really pressured the other teams and lost by slight margins...
I agree completely which is rare for me in regards to the Wild... :D

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
Brock said:
I can't believe the negative attitude towards Burns on this site. It's absolutely hilarious the ignorance that many people display.

Quite frankly I'm more upset over the loss of Burns for team Canada, over Nathan Horton. Horton would be a big boost to the offense of course, but Burns would be a returning player with WJC experience, not to mention he's playing excellent in the AHL this season. I was expecting him to be one of our best defenseman at the tournament. You guys kill me...so you'd rather have a defenseman playing in the CHL right now, with zero professional experience, and zero WJC experience, over a defenseman in his second PROFESSIONAL season, in which he is excelling. It's F'N hilarious.

Total agreement here Brock.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I have to agree with Keenan here. If Canada wants to have NHL players they should be willing to guarantee them a spot on the team and not make them waste time with a selection camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad