No home games on Radio until Second Period?

HereCometheHawks

O Captain My Captain
Nov 7, 2011
I seem to remember in the dark years when home games weren't on TV, that for a period of time you couldn't even listen to the game on the radio until the second period. Does anyone else remember that, or I am just having a Mandela effect?

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It was way worse in Canada. No Hawks on TV. The radio broadcast from Chicago only came in on rare occasions and then it would often fade in and out. Most of the time we (my dad and I) were stuck watching the Leafs, relying on the out-of-town scoreboard for the Hawks scores.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I seem to remember in the dark years when home games weren't on TV, that for a period of time you couldn't even listen to the game on the radio until the second period. Does anyone else remember that, or I am just having a Mandela effect?
What year are you talking about?

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Well TSN came about in 1984 but then they showed only a few games but very few .... so pretty much before Center Ice came into existence for Canadian hockey fans.
Before that, unless Hawks were playing in Toronto or Montreal we were SOOL when it came to watching regular season games. Playoffs weren't quite as bad especially if Hawks got past the first round.
Pretty sad, huh?

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013

I don't personally have a recollection of that but I'm pretty sure I've heard that story. I'm guessing I read it in The Breakaway.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I remember back in 2005 I was listening to games on radio and it was the entire game, not sure what year you are talking about exactly but at that point the full game was on the radio and I am sure a couple years proior to that as well but I can’t confirm I can’t really remember.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

You need to talk to Canadian (country not the team)fans about the crazy shit from the 70's

Live games? What are those. Radio. Vancouver would have Jim Robson sitting in the basement of the radio station calling the game off of a small black and white TV

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I've been listening/watching since 1980 and don't ever remember having to wait until the 2nd period.

ray c

Feb 9, 2010
During the late fifties and into the sixties,hockey night in Canada would start televising at 8:30 when the actual games started at 8;00 pm.
he's probably talking about the sixties when Lloyd Pettit broadcasted

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I was listening to the hawks on short wave radio from home in Northern Ontario in the late 70's and never experienced having to wait until the second period.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
During the late fifties and into the sixties,hockey night in Canada would start televising at 8:30 when the actual games started at 8;00 pm.
he's probably talking about the sixties when Lloyd Pettit broadcasted

Yep. I think it was a league policy or something in the '60s cause it was the same for Leaf games in the Toronto area. If you were lucky, you would only miss the first period but there were times when the game was close to half over before the telecast aired. I don't think that was the case for radio though. Dollar Bill may have had a role there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad