No holding back: thoughts on your team’s announcers. Go!

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
After having to listen to the bruuuutal PBP announcing of Jeff Rimer for the past (seemingly) 75 years, I’m curious what your hot takes/opinions are on your team’s announcers.

Go.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Sam Rosen is a literal saint.

Joe is obsessed with faceoffs and has a nasty habit of thinking whoever he noticed has had a great game. So if you turn it over 15 times, with 5 minutes left he'll say "boy he's had some game, Sam."

Reactions: bigtim1988

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd love to have some beers with McNab while he tells me the stories he's not allowed to share on air :laugh:

And Moser's a radio pro...all in all, they're not exactly great...but they're fun.

Although I'm still getting used to this whole professionalism thing Moser's trying to bring to the broadcast. I like my avs' games to sound like two random dads from South Park stumbled into the booth.

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I like Dennis Beyak, although he certainly has his quirks ("tight turns!")
Hnidy was good, but we lost him to Vegas and seemingly don't have a fixed colour commentator these days

Cotton

May 13, 2013
After having to listen to the bruuuutal PBP announcing of Jeff Rimer for the past (seemingly) 75 years, I’m curious what your hot takes/opinions are on your team’s announcers.

Go.

They suck.

Is your avy a chick with a stash, or a dude who looks like a chick?

Mine is manbearpig.

Reactions: Crede777

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Just in case anyone thinks I'm exaggerating about Butch:
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/butch-isms-hall-of-fame.1066059/

Some of my favorites:
"Bishop is playing 7th forward"
"I scored my first goal in a 6-0 loss"
"The ref is checking to see if there's any blood available"
"They're dropping two pucks Howie, so they have a 50-50 chance of winning"
"Prust signed a four year deal at $10 million a year!"
"Casey Zeeky"
"If you look at Peter Laviolette you can see that he's a little bit incest"
"Scott Hartnell is having the career of his life."
"Steve Tavaros"
"Don't let the fat lady sing until it's absolutely necessary."
"John Tavares has W-I-N-N engraved in his DNA."
"...even though the Islanders are down by three, you have to give them a lot of credit..."
"...great poke-check by 'Kryptosoft'..."
"Joe Pavalovski"
"Mike Calamari"

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Just in case anyone thinks I'm exaggerating about Butch:
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/butch-isms-hall-of-fame.1066059/

Some of my favorites:
"Bishop is playing 7th forward"
"I scored my first goal in a 6-0 loss"
"The ref is checking to see if there's any blood available"
"They're dropping two pucks Howie, so they have a 50-50 chance of winning"
"Prust signed a four year deal at $10 million a year!"
"Casey Zeeky"
"If you look at Peter Laviolette you can see that he's a little bit incest"
"Scott Hartnell is having the career of his life."
"Steve Tavaros"
"Don't let the fat lady sing until it's absolutely necessary."
"John Tavares has W-I-N-N engraved in his DNA."
"...even though the Islanders are down by three, you have to give them a lot of credit..."
"...great poke-check by 'Kryptosoft'..."
"Joe Pavalovski"
"Mike Calamari"

“Watch” ing that thread was one of the first things I did after the forum change :laugh:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Burke has been excellent since Taking over for Howie Rose. Hes got a great voice and calls the games like a pro.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Jim Fox used to be a very good color commentator, since the Kings won their Cups he has regressed to the Brian Hayward level of homerism. I listen to the other teams broadcasts most of the time.

I don't know what to think of PbP guy Alex Faust because he clearly plays second fiddle in the Kings broadcast booth to the color guy, which should never be the case.

Reactions: tny760

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Don't know about TV, but for the Wild, Kurtz on the radio does excellent play-by-play (I always like it when he says "And, the Wild will move left to right across your radio dial.....") which is really hard to do on the radio (good p-b-p). Tom Reid on color....well, he's an old defenseman from the North Stars. Not bad but not as knowledgeable as I'd like.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Jim Fox has gotten incredibly annoying. He was very emotional when the Kings won the Cup, and as the team has gotten worse, and not had anywhere close to the same success, it feels like he's trying to protect something. Not necessarily in a homer way, although he is that, but he doesn't want the Cup years to be over. The fall from the high seems to have hit him hard. That, plus Bob Miller retired, and now Fox is the elder statesman of the TV booth. So with both things happening at the same time, he's almost trying to reassure home town fans while trying to analyze the game. It comes off as unnecessarily desperate. It would be great if he stopped doing that. People can see what the Kings have been the last few years, no need to try to spin it.

Alex Faust is basically your young generic announcer. He's got sort of a corny on-air personality, but the banter between him and Fox is a bunch of dad jokes, just not in a funny or goofy way. More forced than anything.

Reactions: tny760

lawrence

May 19, 2012
John shorthouse is one of the best in the business. That said he can never work for CBC since he’s a Canucks fan.

Reactions: Kreator

Elitersson

Unregistered User
Feb 22, 2016
John Shorthouse is great for Canucks, love how impartial he is and how he often just ignores his partner John Garrett, who is insufferable at times. Particularly when complaining about penalty calls.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I'm happy with Peckham and Engblom. It was tough when it was Bobby Taylor, but I think he's much better in his new role.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Forslund is the best in the business.

Tripp is incredibly goofy and has a tendency to go off on long rambling tangents. One time he head butted a birthday cake.

They have great chemistry though, and make it work. I can’t think of a duo I would rather listen to.

Completely agree on Forslund. Tripp has improved quite a bit over the past several years imo, although he does still relapse from time to time. I do think he brings some nice technical insight to the game. I'm with you on listening to the pair. If for some reason I have to catch an opponents broadcast, I often find it painful in comparison.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
For the Devils, Cangialosi and Daneyko are no Doc and Chico, but I like them well enough.

I think home team announcers should lean towards slight homerism with a touch of honesty when needed while also respecting the opposing team. I think they do that pretty well.

In terms of listening enjoyment, they can both be a bit rough on the ears at times. Cangialosi when he gets excited and Daneyko when he's trying to talk over goal horns/loud crowd noises/etc.

I'd give them a solid B+

Reactions: BalticDevil

choirboy

Apr 12, 2006
Very happy with the main duo of Rick Ball and Kelly Hrudey. The Flames/Rogers however have made a huge mistake in allowing Cassie Campbell to be a backup CC. She is the worst in the league and shouldn't be involved as a colour analyst. Even worse than Remenda, at least he coached in the NHL.

She should be regulated to interviews if the Flames insist on having an female equality or nepotism hire(husband is the Asst GM).

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I didn't think any fans were happy with their commentators.

Leagues worst?
Hughson
Jack Edwards

Any other takers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad