Friedman: No Extension Talks yet for Carlson

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
From 31 thoughts:
5. Still no talks between Washington and UFA-to-be John Carlson. That’s going to be a big second-half storyline.

Ironically, could this play out like Shattenkirk last year where a playoff team trades a pending UFA for assets?

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
I would personally be pretty surprised. It's not as if Washington has Pietrangelo and Parayko on the right side. After Niskanen, would get pretty tough.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
this is the way MacLellan worked. There were no talks with Oshie til the salary cap was set.

I see that as good and bad. If that cap goes up, Carlson could very well ask for more.

brokenwolf88

Nov 27, 2017
I would personally be pretty surprised. It's not as if Washington has Pietrangelo and Parayko on the right side. After Niskanen, would get pretty tough.
The Caps are in cap trouble though. I don't think they can afford to keep him.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I cant imagine the Caps not re-signing him given what he brings for them and what they would have to replace him with.

But man if he makes it to free agency I hope the Avs back a dump truck of money into his driveway. He'd really be the last piece we need for our Top 4.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I cant imagine the Caps not re-signing him given what he brings for them and what they would have to replace him with.

But man if he makes it to free agency I hope the Avs back a dump truck of money into his driveway. He'd really be the last piece we need for our Top 4.

I thought you guys were fairly set at RD? Johnson, Makar, and Barrie all in the organization. Unless you're flipping Barrie for a LHD?

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
As Leafs fan, Im always going to salivate over a legit top pairing D man not being signed yet.
Were gonna say he would be dumb not to sign here etc. etc. etc.

Saying that, depending on cost id love to take a run at him in Free Agency, not as much as a trade piece during the season unless its a sign and trade.

I dislike the idea when a team just starting their contending years (as I think the Leafs are) trading a bunch of picks+prospects.

Lets say the trade cost is a top D prospect (Liljgren) + a first this year + a second next year + a current D man (Carrick). **Using Hamiltons value 1st+2nd+2nd and adding a fair bit**

Thats giving up allot for a team that is still figuring out what their team identity is, and what their prospects are capable of. I wouldnt be opposed to going all in on a top pair D man as they are hard to come by, but would be a gamble IMO.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
this is the way MacLellan worked. There were no talks with Oshie til the salary cap was set.
Working against a deadline is always sub-optimal. By that point there's little motivation for players not to exercise the leverage they have.

It's not like they can let Carlson go and be competitive in the next season or two most likely so what's stopping them? Cap certainty? No. That shouldn't be the issue. They can just let Eller walk or make other moves. Letting Carlson walk for nothing would be their worst move yet.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This is one area I see GMBM being behind in....why on earth are you not exchanging preliminary numbers with his agent?!

If the ask is absurd, you make your offer and wait while you quietly start looking at options to move him.

Imo this organization can’t let another top-4/top-6 guy walk for nothing again.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
This is one area I see GMBM being behind in....why on earth are you not exchanging preliminary numbers with his agent?!

If the ask is absurd, you make your offer and wait while you quietly start looking at options to move him.

Imo this organization can’t let another top-4/top-6 guy walk for nothing again.

Another? Who was the first? Don't say alzner cause he isn't a top 4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad