No Draft Picks, No Problem, College FA's

onetimerguy

Jul 17, 2018
Noticed the Monsters signed a College FA to a PTO Derek Barach from Mercyhurst.

www.clevelandmonsters.com/team/news/monsters-sign-f-derek-barach-pto-contract

It's that time of year when the college FA's start signing after their teams get eliminated.
If we look for alumni connections, CBJ could look at Nico Sturm C and Jake Kielly G from Clarkson (Sam Vigneault is our connection), Ryan Kuffner F and Max Veronneau C from Princeton (Eric Robinson is our connection) Johnny Walker F Arizona St, besides a great name for a promotion, was in CBJ rookie camp.
Mason Jobst F if you want to keep that OSU connection (Carson Meyer, Dalpe, Dzingle).
Lastly Joe Dusek, 3rd in scoring D1 hockey even though he is a d-man, another Mercyhurst player.

Thoughts on any of these guys.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
The CBJ currently have 47 active player contracts. They are only permitted 50.

I would think they would never want to be at 50 unless it is temporary. I know you asked for opinions om the names you listed and I'm not ignoring your question, it's just that I don't know. Signing college FA's might be an answer to having no draft picks, but not this year. College FA's are 22. Draft eligible players are 18. The CBJ have plenty of players that are on the cusp currently. The hole in the organization might be in two years.

onetimerguy

Jul 17, 2018
With all of the unrestricted (Bread, Duchene, Dzingle, MacQuaid, Bob) and restricted fa's (Milano, Murray, ZW, Harrington, Robinson, Sedlak, Hanni) at the end of the year, this would be the time to make a few signings, or try to PTO some players with the monsters + a training camp invite. We can't sign them all, but 2 or 3 would be good additions, especially with basically no picks.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There's also a queue of guys waiting to sign their ELC's, some delayed presumably to avoid triggering eligibility for the expansion draft. They'll be in the clear to sign them this summer.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I hate the team up north more then 95% of people but 2 guys from that school have been 2 of the best D we ever had.
If JJ and Zzzzz Werenski is the best D you ever had - fold the franchise.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If JJ and Zzzzz Werenski is the best D you ever had - fold the franchise.

Name the CBJ all defense team without putting Jack Johnson on it. (You can't, without being ridiculous)

Werenski hasn't been very good offensively in a while, and he will always be OK at best defensively, but he's still only 21 years old with a good track record. It's far too early to 1. Put him on the best D we ever had list and 2. Give up on him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Name the CBJ all defense team without putting Jack Johnson on it. (You can't, without being ridiculous)

Werenski hasn't been very good offensively in a while, and he will always be OK at best defensively, but he's still only 21 years old with a good track record. It's far too early to 1. Put him on the best D we ever had list and 2. Give up on him.

That's by virtue of raw talent - it doesn't really tell you if Michigan is any good at guiding it's D to play better hockey.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Do you mean the CBJ all defense team exclusively in relation to how good they were for the Jackets, or just as players in their career? I think it's possible to find 6 guys you prefer over Johnson.

Regardless, to the question at hand... I still think this whole "no draft picks" thing is overblown, and I expect Jarmo to acquire some picks between now and the draft.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I expect Jarmo to acquire some picks between now and the draft.

I think it's likely too. I could see Jarmo moving out Milano for a 3rd, Wennberg for a 2nd, the signing rights for Panarin could get a 2nd or 3rd in the right situation, same for Bob maybe.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I think it's likely too. I could see Jarmo moving out Milano for a 3rd, Wennberg for a 2nd, the signing rights for Panarin could get a 2nd or 3rd in the right situation, same for Bob maybe.

Exactly the main 2 I had in mind. Wennberg maybe conditional on Duchene/a different center signing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Exactly the main 2 I had in mind. Wennberg maybe conditional on Duchene/a different center signing.

There could be even more.

It's worth it to remember what Jarmo did the last time he was without a pick in the first two rounds. He and the scouts were really high on Texier so they swapped Kolesar for a second rounder and snagged him.

Kolesar is still a decent prospect, but not at the level Texier has since become. I think Texier might be a mid first rounder if redrafted.

Reactions: Monk

onetimerguy

Jul 17, 2018
I hate the team up north more then 95% of people but 2 guys from that school have been 2 of the best D we ever had.
Hirose is actually an undersized wing. Just started this thread since there seems to be a lot of Eric Robinson love on this board. I'd say the top college FA is Sturm. 6-3 center, defensive player of the year for his conf. leading scorer for his team, captain, lead the nation in face off pct one year at 60%. Read some info that the kid could step into a 3-c role as soon as he signs.

Reactions: majormajor

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
The Athletic just wrote an article on upcoming FA's from college, Europe, and the CHL. The author was a talent evaluator for the Athletic and also worked at ESPN. He rated the top 35 prospects to be signed this year and Barach wasn't on his list. It doesn't mean he won't turn out to be a good player, it means he wasn't high on this guys list.

onetimerguy

Jul 17, 2018
Barach is signed to the Monsters on a PTO. Sounds about right to me. Lots of college fa's wind up in the AHL or even the ECHL. There are a few that can play higher.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
IIRC the TSN guys said this is a very weak year for UDFA's. So, we might need a plan C.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
IIRC the TSN guys said this is a very weak year for UDFA's. So, we might need a plan C.

I'm assuming you mean plan C to restock the pool in general - in terms of contracts it looks like they'll be in the high 40s without much effort.

The foregone draft picks wouldn't be signing this summer anyways. And it looks like several of Gavrikov, Merzlikins, Bemstrom, and Peeke will sign this summer now that they're clear of Seattle expansion eligibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad