No consistency, with this team..

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
We were awesome, against Columbus and Ottawa,...Then we totally tanked, against Montreal and the Islanders...

We beat Toronto, then lose to Winnipeg..
Why is their no consistency, with this team..
We go from highlights, to laughingstock, in a couple of days.

Why...

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
They get too high after a couple of wins and forget to put in the effort that is required to win hockey games. Plus, it doesn't help that they have the worst D in the league

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They weren't "awesome" against Columbus and Ottawa, just very very fortunate. It was fools gold and was bound to catch up with them sooner or later. Those teams played lethargic sloppy hockey combined with horrid goaltending and the Oilers got some lucky bounces especially in the Ottawa game. I said as much in those PGT's that the team didn't really play well.

It's simple for the opposition. Play disciplined gap control, clog up the neutral zone, limit their space and cruise to an easy victory. For the bigger teams, just possess the puck in the Oilers zone and play keepaway by cycling them to death and breaking their will which is easily breakable. The book on how to beat the Oilers has been out for years. Not sure why this surprises some Oiler fans every year.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
We were awesome, against Columbus and Ottawa,...Then we totally tanked, against Montreal and the Islanders...

Why...

Because the team is fragile. Any momentum they obtain, they don't know how to keep it because the slightest bit of adversity and they crack. :cry:

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
A competent D-corps would go a long way in stabilizing the performance of this team on a consistant basis.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
is this really a question that needs to be asked? I mean no offence to the OP, but it's pretty obvious whats the problems are and why they're happening.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I still think unfortunately those two afternoon games were an bit of an outlier. We're not *that* bad, unfortunately for a Western team, an early afternoon game is basically like a morning game and having two of them back to back was just a really wonky combination.

We need to get better at it I guess because we probably will get more afternoon games for the sake of getting McDavid on US television more often.

The other games are more or less what I'd expect, we probably scored a few extra goals against Ottawa that we wouldn't normally.

Nilsson also basically threw the Islanders game away by gifting them a 3 goal head start.

We simply don't have the defence without Klefbom to make a sustained run of like 4-6+ wins. That just isn't gonna happen even with McDavid.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

Why...

A combination of reasons, but most notably IMO is the defense/softness. Some teams allow us to skate around without being touched. Some lay the body and expose how fragile these guys are, especially on the backend.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Tight checking teams will always give this team trouble because they play a perimeter game. The defensive corps have trouble moving the puck which leads to turnovers.

They're mentally weak. The "old core" is used to losing and seem fine with it. Still , this team is unbalanced and will never do anything until that changes lol.

Almost a decade and it's been the same story.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Toronto is an AHL team right now in tank-mode...and Oilers looked like garbage in the 1st period

Winnipeg is an NHL team that still think they can make the playoffs

the difference is huge

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
They have no puck moving defenders and their forecheckers are hit and miss and for some reason they don't have a good pp setup. New system, and rookie defenders and shaky goaltending sometimes for the defensive end.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Why...

Not really so much of a mystery. We do better against certain clubs. Plus Columbus, Ottawa, Toronto are just awful teams that we stack up OK against. Nobody at all should be surprised we were able to beat those clubs and I expected it. I even called that Eberle would have a break out game against Toronto and that that line would just own the Maple Leafs.

Conversely Islanders, Jets are big teams of the ilk that we traditionally don't fare well against. Montreal is a vet squad that owns us for fun.

All these games lined up exactly as expected.

One has to consider that its rare that the Oilers dictate results. Our losses tend to be against clubs that control those games. Any team that plays a reasonable system beats us the vast majority of times.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

Why...

I don't think its a consistency problem, they're just not that good.

3 games out of 4, the other team is better than them.

tikkanen

Jan 1, 2016
red deer
They have no puck moving defenders and their forecheckers are hit and miss and for some reason they don't have a good pp setup. New system, and rookie defenders and shaky goaltending sometimes for the defensive end.

You mentioned everything but the guys that matter most to me-Hall has 3 goals and only 12 points in the last 25 games and is -12 in that period. Draisatl and purcell have gone cold and other then the Pouliot-Eberle and Macdavid line they have no scoring right now. It is far easier to score points in the first third of the season and gets progressively tougher as the season wears on. Truly good players bring their game up a notch when the going gets toughest. We cant score and our top guys up front don't get it done and are as bad as our defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad