no cable provider how to watch penguins games

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
So wasn't sure if this should be it's own thread or not...

I'm looking at cutting my cable as I look at our cable bill and go WTF. I can easily mitigate/find much cheaper ways to watch everything i watch currently on Xfinity. BUT the sticky wicket is that ATT sports which i use to watch pens games does not stream, and I can't seem to find any option from a streaming provider (Hulu/Sling/Fubo) that allows me to watch the games. Further more NHL center ice indicates that my viewing area (i'm in central PA) that I am subject to black outs for penguins, flyers, caps. So I can't even get that and see games live. That and center ice stops coverage during the playoffs.

So I'm enough of a fan that if the only way to watch my team is to pay through the nose, I sadly will. But wondering if anyone else has cut the cord from the cable company and was still able to (legally) watch Pens games live?
thx!

Reactions: OswaldBates

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Haven't needed to go this route, but wouldn't using a VPN, and getting Nhl.tv /game center solve the issue?!?!

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
AhgHtnP.jpg

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Haven't needed to go this route, but wouldn't using a VPN, and getting Nhl.tv /game center solve the issue?!?!

well I would have to set the VPN up on my router, which i believe my router will support. Just sayin I'm not looking to stream to my computer, I'd use smart tv's/roku devices to watch most of the time. I also don't wanna really do something where you cast from, say, your phone to the TV. But like I said I'm exploring legal options first, don't think the VPN is illegal, just kinda a shenanigan thing.

Reactions: td_ice

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
So wasn't sure if this should be it's own thread or not...

I'm looking at cutting my cable as I look at our cable bill and go WTF. I can easily mitigate/find much cheaper ways to watch everything i watch currently on Xfinity. BUT the sticky wicket is that ATT sports which i use to watch pens games does not stream, and I can't seem to find any option from a streaming provider (Hulu/Sling/Fubo) that allows me to watch the games. Further more NHL center ice indicates that my viewing area (i'm in central PA) that I am subject to black outs for penguins, flyers, caps. So I can't even get that and see games live. That and center ice stops coverage during the playoffs.

So I'm enough of a fan that if the only way to watch my team is to pay through the nose, I sadly will. But wondering if anyone else has cut the cord from the cable company and was still able to (legally) watch Pens games live?
thx!
if you have WIFI you can buy a Roku Box & watch Xfinity streaming

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
Yeah, I use that one on of my tvs, instead of paying for extra cable box. Works great.

You don't get pause or rewind though.
Yeah there are drawbacks , Also call Xfinity & tell them you have to cut costs & you need to cut back on Cable & then will find a deal to keep you

Reactions: td_ice

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
A lot of people here seem to find free streams then they complain about 4th liners like the team owes them something. You could do that.

Reactions: Riptide

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Moved to orlando 2 yrs ago and had my ways since all they get down here is TB... but then it got shut down....

So I caved and got NHL.TV...

I'm strictly legitimate now...

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
well I would have to set the VPN up on my router, which i believe my router will support. Just sayin I'm not looking to stream to my computer, I'd use smart tv's/roku devices to watch most of the time. I also don't wanna really do something where you cast from, say, your phone to the TV. But like I said I'm exploring legal options first, don't think the VPN is illegal, just kinda a shenanigan thing.

If you live in Pittsburgh there isn't a legal option.

I cut the cord 6 years ago and it was an awesome decision that I don't regret in the least. Unfortunately that does mean I don't get to watch any Pens games unless they are broadcast nationally on NBC.

I do listen to a lot of games with the Pens app and through Alexa. So while I do miss seeing most games I do really like listening to them, especially when Mike Lange is broadcasting. Brings me back to my youth when I used to lay in bed and listen to Mike because very few games were broadcast, plus I didn't have a TV in my room.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I went through this when I cut the cord. The, uh, oblique answers like Tom's are unfortunately the only option. It's bizarre that neither the NHL nor ATT sports want to accept payment to see their product. I figured the blackout and no availability of ATT sports as a streaming service would be a temporary thing that would resolve itself shortly, but two year later it still hasn't and there's no indication there are any plans to fix this.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I went through this when I cut the cord. The, uh, oblique answers like Tom's are unfortunately the only option. It's bizarre that neither the NHL nor ATT sports want to accept payment to see their product. I figured the blackout and no availability of ATT sports as a streaming service would be a temporary thing that would resolve itself shortly, but two year later it still hasn't and there's no indication there are any plans to fix this.

yea it's kinda baffling that people don't want to take your money for their product.

@USMC607 only problem is that won't work for me because even though I live 200 miles away I am blacked out from penguins games with that option (unless I vpn and lie where I actually live). I mean I am an IT guy, and pretty tech savy so I *can* find ways. But I'm looking for a legal way to do this.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

I believe the deals that ATTSN and other sports channels have with cable providers prevent them from offering in-market streaming services.

Reactions: billybudd

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Do you have to sign up with Xfinity for that? I don't own a Roku Box, so I don't know anything about how that would work.
I believe you would have to have xfinity internet, yes.

From there it's super easy. Roku setup is easy, as is getting the xfinity app. on it. No problems.

Reactions: Shockmaster

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
yea it's kinda baffling that people don't want to take your money for their product.

@USMC607 only problem is that won't work for me because even though I live 200 miles away I am blacked out from penguins games with that option (unless I vpn and lie where I actually live). I mean I am an IT guy, and pretty tech savy so I *can* find ways. But I'm looking for a legal way to do this.

Would assume that the blackouts are more to appease the cable companies more than anything else.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
If you have an Urge to watch Sports maybe you should look up those two words (in reverse order).

I googled this and now I've got a virus and a new toolbar installed on my internet explorer bar :mad:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I believe the deals that ATTSN and other sports channels have with cable providers prevent them from offering in-market streaming services.

Know what the most-ridiculous thing is? I signed my dad up for ATT Now, the cable streaming service. You'd think that would have ATT sports, right, given that that's an in-house network? Wrong. So I had to teach my senior citizen dad how to use the reddit site (and now the other one) for his pirate games.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Know what the most-ridiculous thing is? I signed my dad up for ATT Now, the cable streaming service. You'd think that would have ATT sports, right, given that that's an in-house network? Wrong. So I had to teach my senior citizen dad how to use the reddit site (and now the other one) for his pirate games.

I would bet most consumers would want an a la carte option from their cable providers. Unfortunately that just isn't realistic given all the money made between cable providers and networks.

Reactions: billybudd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->