No Brule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Brule said:
But honestly, Crosby's not gonna become an UFA, and neither is Brule. Not gonna be that easy.

I'm pretty sure if theres no season Crosby and Brule have a choice to enter the 06' draft or become UFA's. Now if Brule chooses the ladder i'm positive thats the only chance the Canucks will have to get em'.

Rich09

Oct 22, 2004
Sydney Crosby is the #1 Habs Fan! It would'nt take a lot to have him in MTL if he is UFA. So forgot it Vancouver and Leaf fans!

J-D

Feb 27, 2002
the dizzle!
Visit site
Canada will be fine...yeah right. We couldn't bring back the gold since 1998, but we are supposed to win each and every year. What gives? USA and Russia are looking as dangerous as team Canada.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
J-D said:
Canada will be fine...yeah right. We couldn't bring back the gold since 1998, but we are supposed to win each and every year. What gives? USA and Russia are looking as dangerous as team Canada.

Exactly. Winning with pluggers and grinders works in the NHL - but not at the WJC's. Russia with Ovechkin, Malkin, Radulov etc. are very talented and will be tough to beat. USA is on par with Canada as far as I'm concerned - mainly because of goaltending. They also have some fine talents in O'Sullivan and Schremp.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Exactly. Winning with pluggers and grinders works in the NHL - but not at the WJC's. Russia with Ovechkin, Malkin, Radulov etc. are very talented and will be tough to beat. USA is on par with Canada as far as I'm concerned - mainly because of goaltending. They also have some fine talents in O'Sullivan and Schremp.

I don't think Radulov is on the Russian camp roster.

Lanny MacDonald*

monster_bertuzzi said:

Okay, so you think Gilbert Brule should have been on the team. Who gets bumped so he gets to play? He's not a strong defensive player so he has to be in a scoring role. Based on his size, who do you take out of the lineup? And if you believe that Brule deserves to be there what about players like Yellow Horn or Keller? They have outscored the Vancouver player. Don't they deserve the same consideration?

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
I'm pretty sure if theres no season Crosby and Brule have a choice to enter the 06' draft or become UFA's. Now if Brule chooses the ladder i'm positive thats the only chance the Canucks will have to get em'.

I think we may have had this conversation before, but just to put the other side forward again. It is almost inconceivable that the new CBA that will be put in place before anyone even looks at this issue will not deal with what to do about the 2005 draft if one is not held - how stupid do you think the owners are? I am 99.9% sure that what will happen will be an agreement on how to either combine a draft, or hold some special draft based on some agreement as to order of teams, or some similar solution. What will not happen is the whole 87 year suddenly becoming the first class in decades to have a free choice of teams.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
Okay, so you think Gilbert Brule should have been on the team. Who gets bumped so he gets to play? He's not a strong defensive player so he has to be in a scoring role. Based on his size, who do you take out of the lineup? And if you believe that Brule deserves to be there what about players like Yellow Horn or Keller? They have outscored the Vancouver player. Don't they deserve the same consideration?

First of all - Keller is 20. Yellowhorn? You serious? He's outscored Brule, true, but he's also played quite a few more games. Oh yah he's 5'6'' if you didn't hear.

You're missing my point. I said picking checkers over clear better players is a dangerous formula for the WJC's. Why cant Canada have 4 scoring lines? Bottom line is Brule didn't make this team because of age and experience. But age is just a number. Guys like Meyer, Boyd, and Fraser are all inferior players to Brule.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
The Iconoclast said:

Wasn't Brulé considered a two-way player?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
pei fan said:
Well,Hockey Canada has to take some responsibility.This kid is one of the best young hockey talents in the world and he deserves the chance to represent his
country.Last year they picked "a team" and not the best players and they LOST.
Not only did they not pick the best players ,they didn't play the best players and
I think that's what you'll see this year.

The Americans were the favorites anyways. They were up 3-1 in the 3rd period and the Canadians lost because MA Fleury lost his mind.

Canada wants to bring back as many kids as they can from last year because they know and we all know that they want it more than kids who haven't been there before. Just like the Americans last year. It's not a knock on Brule its more about bringing back the experienced players that know what it takes to win the tourney.

Lanny MacDonald*

ax²+bx+c said:
Wasn't Brulé considered a two-way player?

Not that I know of. Personally, I wouldn't think so. He definitely does not have the stats to support such a claim. I would say there are better players out there.

monster_bertuzzi said:
You're missing my point. I said picking checkers over clear better players is a dangerous formula for the WJC's. Why cant Canada have 4 scoring lines? Bottom line is Brule didn't make this team because of age and experience. But age is just a number. Guys like Meyer, Boyd, and Fraser are all inferior players to Brule.

Picking checkers over clear better players is a dangerous formula for the WJC's? Really. How do you figure? Who would you rather have on the ice against Jarome Iginla? Guy Lafleur or Guy Carbonneau? Defensive players have their place in the game, just like offensive players do. Having a solid checking line is a very good idea, especially when the PP and PK is going to be a major concern at the WJC. Having a team of players that think offense first is a killer. You need some balance and need some players that think of their own end first. Sutter is trying to find a line of players that can do that and still provide some offense when needed.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Brule shoed 1 good period (1st)in that game vs. the Russian Selects..then he gets elbowed in the head and basically retires the rest of the night...Fraser's line dominated in the offensive zone with the forecheck all through-out the game,even though they only cashed in on 1 of about 8great scoring chances thesy created...Sutter loves that kind of effort...besides Fraser's experience and maturity as a 19 year old is probably considered a better useage of a 4th line centre role than Brule would be as a 4th liner just there for the experience..they want to win NOW..not next year--all this does not mean Fraser is a lock,despite beig Sutter's guy...he still has to beat out Meyer and hope that they don't keep both Colliton and Bolland if Perry Ladd and Fehr alll make the final squad ,since Fehr or Perry or Getzlaf (a lock) could also move to centre in a pinch if injuries occur to Crosby,Richards or Carter(all locks)...if Bolland makes it as the 13th forward (token youth after Crosby) who can play either wing or centre then Fraser must beat out Meyer or Colliton(not sure if he can centre) ...or beat out Stone (if he can centre) should Colliton make it as a 4th line winger at the 12th forwrd position...

One thing Fraser is good at is FACE-OFFS ...that + his strong forechecking could swing that 4th line centre and "role" need in his favour...

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Hey, Hockey Canada wanted Sutter, so they have to live with this decision. It's definitely win-or-else time, however. The ONLY justification for leaving Brule off is if they win gold, and even that doesn't completely justify the decision.

Crosby did well in limited time as an 'energy' player last year, and Brule should have been given the same opportunity.

Anyways, Brule will have the last laugh next season, when he's toiling for an NHL team (hopefully). I wonder if Brule will be quick to give his support to being 'loaned' to the WJC next year--if he's not playing a prominent role with his NHL club.

FTK

Apr 24, 2003
Longueuil
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
Not that I know of. Personally, I wouldn't think so. He definitely does not have the stats to support such a claim. I would say there are better players out there.

Picking checkers over clear better players is a dangerous formula for the WJC's? Really. How do you figure? Who would you rather have on the ice against Jarome Iginla? Guy Lafleur or Guy Carbonneau? Defensive players have their place in the game, just like offensive players do. Having a solid checking line is a very good idea, especially when the PP and PK is going to be a major concern at the WJC. Having a team of players that think offense first is a killer. You need some balance and need some players that think of their own end first. Sutter is trying to find a line of players that can do that and still provide some offense when needed.

I'd have Guy Lafleur, thank you. He would totally own Iginla. I do understand your point, but that exemple was really bad....

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
With guys like Bergeron, Carter, Crosby, Dawes, Fehr, Getzlaf, Perry, Richards, Stewart, Ladd and even Stone and MacArthur invited to camp, why exactly is Canada worried about scoring?

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Not to mention Boyd and Bolland aren't exactly terrible offensively, and Fraser leads his team in scoring. I can't handle these accusations that Canada is filled with checkers, they may be checkers once they reach the NHL, but right now they sure can score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->