News Article: No bodychecking will be allowed in upcoming OHL season

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I've played in alleged non-checking rec leagues, and things could get rough. Lots of stick work, out of control elbows (which were actually controlled quite well), and other shenanigans due to no way of policing on ice.

So this is definitely a case of being careful for what you wish.

Ken Dryden advocates eliminating all hits to the head, but not doing away with all hits.

Reactions: BMC

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I've played in alleged non-checking rec leagues, and things could get rough. Lots of stick work, out of control elbows (which were actually controlled quite well), and other shenanigans due to no way of policing on ice.

So this is definitely a case of being careful for what you wish.

Ken Dryden advocates eliminating all hits to the head, but not doing away with all hits.

Correction, Ken Dryden advocates penalizing all hits to the head. He wants a black-and-white rule in a free-flowing sport where there is a ton of gray area. He ignores the fact that sometimes, players put themselves in vulnerable positions and it's not the fault of the opposing player there is head contact.

Hits the head, blindside hits, etc. have decreased in the past decade. The Dept. of Player Safety has done a decent job policing violent hits after the fact. They aren't perfect, they've made some mistakes, but looking at the bigger picture they have done a pretty good job at supplemental discipline and the message is getting across that players have to be more careful. And now with video review being accessible in-game, refs have more tools to determine what is a dangerous violent hit vs. a situation where a player put himself in a bad spot to receive head contact.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Correction, Ken Dryden advocates penalizing all hits to the head. He wants a black-and-white rule in a free-flowing sport where there is a ton of gray area. He ignores the fact that sometimes, players put themselves in vulnerable positions and it's not the fault of the opposing player there is head contact.

Hits the head, blindside hits, etc. have decreased in the past decade. The Dept. of Player Safety has done a decent job policing violent hits after the fact. They aren't perfect, they've made some mistakes, but looking at the bigger picture they have done a pretty good job at supplemental discipline and the message is getting across that players have to be more careful. And now with video review being accessible in-game, refs have more tools to determine what is a dangerous violent hit vs. a situation where a player put himself in a bad spot to receive head contact.

I agree that the Dryden's idea would have some issues implementing; he believes the league would adjust quickly, but that gray area you spoke of would be problematic. We've already seen it in recent memory. Yanni Gourde was writhing in mortal agony after Ritchie's hit, he got the major called, and was back on the ice before long. I suppose that's what Dryden wants called there, but Gourde definitely sold it.

And sure Sundqvist was suspended a game after his hit on Gryzelcyk, but the damage to the B's defensive depth was done. Similar to Pronger's hit on McAmmond way back in '07, I doubt Sundqvist (or Larry Robinson) regrets that hit.

With Pronger, I seem to recall him joking that it wasn't his fault he was taller than the guys he was hitting, hence contact with the head.

I feel for ex-NHLers suffering in retirement from head injuries. I don't think eliminating hitting is a viable option, and Dryden at least believes hockey has an easier solution than the football.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I agree that the Dryden's idea would have some issues implementing; he believes the league would adjust quickly, but that gray area you spoke of would be problematic. We've already seen it in recent memory. Yanni Gourde was writhing in mortal agony after Ritchie's hit, he got the major called, and was back on the ice before long. I suppose that's what Dryden wants called there, but Gourde definitely sold it.

And sure Sundqvist was suspended a game after his hit on Gryzelcyk, but the damage to the B's defensive depth was done. Similar to Pronger's hit on McAmmond way back in '07, I doubt Sundqvist (or Larry Robinson) regrets that hit.

With Pronger, I seem to recall him joking that it wasn't his fault he was taller than the guys he was hitting, hence contact with the head.

I feel for ex-NHLers suffering in retirement from head injuries. I don't think eliminating hitting is a viable option, and Dryden at least believes hockey has an easier solution than the football.

I never thought about the "selling" part of the equation but that's a good point.

Dryden sounds like a lot a politicians, black-and-white rules are simple to convey to the public, easily understandable, meanwhile because they don't allow for any judgement of the situation they do more harm than good.

Reactions: Aeroforce

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Dear 2020. I know you've got to do your thing, and I respect that..... kind of. And I've tried, I've really tried to go with the flow. But I'm tired, and this no body contact issue is kind of teetering me over the edge. I know with all the shit that's been going down it's kind of odd to have this be the tipping point, but there it is.

Is there some sort of modified participation plan where I can sit the final couple of months of the year out? Eat, sleep, little bit of exercise, maybe talk Mrs. Number 8 into a little rumble now and then. Beyond that, I promise.... won't ask to participate at all in anything else. 2020, please............ just let me be and I'll do the same. You win.

Reactions: gillesgilbert

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY

As a result, ALL hits have decreased over the past decade because you can’t stop on a dime, when going 25 mph on ice, simply because a guy turns/shifts his head at the last moment.

Bring back the days of Scott Stevens...keep your head up!

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
As a result, ALL hits have decreased over the past decade because you can’t stop on a dime, when going 25 mph on ice, simply because a guy turns/shifts his head at the last moment.

Bring back the days of Scott Stevens...keep your head up!

yes please.

most head shots in the league are from guys afraid to get hit. they flinch, duck, try to avoid contact instead of bracing and taking the hit. it's those last second movements that put their heads in the danger zone.

man up, stand up, take the hit and play on

Reactions: Jim

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
We returned to Men's League after a 2 week hiatus last night.

Temperature checks in the dressing room.

Masks required on the bench and during face-offs.

On ice officials required to wear masks at all times.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
We returned to Men's League after a 2 week hiatus last night.

Temperature checks in the dressing room.

Masks required on the bench and during face-offs.

On ice officials required to wear masks at all times.

our league has to go from 6 teams to 4 starting next week. In order to have the games over by 930pm. What a friggin disaster. I mean is 930pm deadline really necessary??

Reactions: smithformeragent

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
My u18 team has been playing no check for most of the fall, and honestly, it hasn't been a huge issue. Players still battle for pucks and in front of the net. It's been harder on the defensemen who can't eliminate players but we taught containment and angling wide and it made for a very fast game with a lot of transition.

We went up to NH to play in a checking tournament and it was definitely more fun for the kids to play that way. They're all tough, hard nose kids so they like having that as part of the game but I wouldn't say those games were better hockey overall. (And I say that as someone who likes and values checking in the NHL game.)

Fwiw, my u18 team is pretty good. We're 14-0-2, and ranked #1 in Mass for Tier 2. We won the u16 Tier 1 Invitational last fall, and we won that NH tournament in October as well. We've got 6 high school captains, four private school kids and are mostly made up of 16 and 17 year olds playing in the u18 division. Not a single 18 year old on the team.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
My u18 team has been playing no check for most of the fall, and honestly, it hasn't been a huge issue. Players still battle for pucks and in front of the net. It's been harder on the defensemen who can't eliminate players but we taught containment and angling wide and it made for a very fast game with a lot of transition.

We went up to NH to play in a checking tournament and it was definitely more fun for the kids to play that way. They're all tough, hard nose kids so they like having that as part of the game but I wouldn't say those games were better hockey overall. (And I say that as someone who likes and values checking in the NHL game.)

Fwiw, my u18 team is pretty good. We're 14-0-2, and ranked #1 in Mass for Tier 2. We won the u16 Tier 1 Invitational last fall, and we won that NH tournament in October as well. We've got 6 high school captains, four private school kids and are mostly made up of 16 and 17 year olds playing in the u18 division. Not a single 18 year old on the team.
Nice post and I agree with you.
To add to your post:
I have played and coached high level hockey for years and you will find that the more skilled the players are, the less hitting there is.
You hit to remove the player from the puck and gain puck possesion. In high level hockey ( AAA and Juniors) if a player hits someone and has now removed himself from the play, IE cannot back check in time, then it was the wrong decision to make a hit.
In the NHL, we have all seen the regular season be played at a ho hum level, yah there is a bit of hitting, but when the playoffs start, watch out, everyone is finishing their checks properly at the right time.
You can still battle for pucks and make body contact by gaining position on a player, which is called " non checking".

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
our league has to go from 6 teams to 4 starting next week. In order to have the games over by 930pm. What a friggin disaster. I mean is 930pm deadline really necessary??
We were playing hockey for a while in Sept and Oct and then got shutdown.
Hopefully we get back in a few weeks.
We have to wear masks in the room, can only get dressed 15 mins before the skate starts, no showers and we have to be 6 ft apart in the room. We are given 3 rooms to change, not the usual 2.
After the game, you cannot hang around, masks are put on and you have to leave in 10-15 mins.
We are restricted to a max of 10 skaters a side and have 2-3 sitting at the back of the bench and 1-2 in the front to social distance.
Most players are wearing full clear visors, so you get some sort of protection I guess when on the ice.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
We were playing hockey for a while in Sept and Oct and then got shutdown.
Hopefully we get back in a few weeks.
We have to wear masks in the room, can only get dressed 15 mins before the skate starts, no showers and we have to be 6 ft apart in the room. We are given 3 rooms to change, not the usual 2.
After the game, you cannot hang around, masks are put on and you have to leave in 10-15 mins.
We are restricted to a max of 10 skaters a side and have 2-3 sitting at the back of the bench and 1-2 in the front to social distance.
Most players are wearing full clear visors, so you get some sort of protection I guess when on the ice.

Our league. pretty much the same, but we have to wear masks while playing. After 2 games with a gaiter which would be soaked with sweat 10 minutes in. Hard to play when every breath in was sucking in the soaked gaiter. I used the CCM mask you attached to the cage. It worked awesome last nite. Also, we dont have faceoffs.
The mask thing is a joke because players play from other states that dont require masks while playing, so there are alot that just dont keep it on during the game. There was even one guy last nite wearing a ball gag. lol. I couldnt stop laughing.
We all usually drink in the parking lot after the games if its nice out.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Nice post and I agree with you.
To add to your post:
I have played and coached high level hockey for years and you will find that the more skilled the players are, the less hitting there is.
You hit to remove the player from the puck and gain puck possesion. In high level hockey ( AAA and Juniors) if a player hits someone and has now removed himself from the play, IE cannot back check in time, then it was the wrong decision to make a hit.
In the NHL, we have all seen the regular season be played at a ho hum level, yah there is a bit of hitting, but when the playoffs start, watch out, everyone is finishing their checks properly at the right time.
You can still battle for pucks and make body contact by gaining position on a player, which is called " non checking".

Yep. A division 2 or mid-level division 1 high school game is a bloodbath. Huge hits, dangerous hits, late hits. A lot of football players on skates and old school coaches competing to see who can be more physical... The top-end D1 games and the prep games have very little hitting. Same in the junior leagues around here. Junior B games are much more physical than the Junior A games. Heck, go watch BU and you can count the hits on one hand. The higher the level the fewer the hits.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Our league. pretty much the same, but we have to wear masks while playing. After 2 games with a gaiter which would be soaked with sweat 10 minutes in. Hard to play when every breath in was sucking in the soaked gaiter. I used the CCM mask you attached to the cage. It worked awesome last nite. Also, we dont have faceoffs.
The mask thing is a joke because players play from other states that dont require masks while playing, so there are alot that just dont keep it on during the game. There was even one guy last nite wearing a ball gag. lol. I couldnt stop laughing.
We all usually drink in the parking lot after the games if its nice out.
The full clear visor works well. I moved from the half shield to a full shield after I lost my two front teeth on a freak play when the puck deflected under my shield, was not fun!!! Took me 2-3 games to get used to the full visor. Agree with you on the mask, I could not play hockey wearing a mask no way to breath. We have a few pops in the parking lot too. Cheers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->