News Article: No bodychecking will be allowed in upcoming OHL season

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
This has nothing to do with the league, it's Ontario's sports minister Lisa MacLeod (who isn't a hockey fan) saying that the OHL has to remove hitting if they are going to allow their return to play plan.

Who knows where the situation will be in February. She has no jurisdiction over the three US based teams and can NOT enforce that when it comes to Erie, Saginaw and Flint.

The OHL is in talks with the Ontario Government and they will absolutely insist they can not remove hitting from the game.

This is NOT a league thing, but a government thing by a Sports Minister that doesn't understand the game.

A sports prime minister? Do they just create jobs for themselves? Haha I could be ignorant and we have something similar here in the US lol

She sounds like a nitwit. Why do people have to get their sticky fingers in stuff they clearly have no business involving themselves in?

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
This has nothing to do with the league, it's Ontario's sports minister Lisa MacLeod (who isn't a hockey fan) saying that the OHL has to remove hitting if they are going to allow their return to play plan.

Who knows where the situation will be in February. She has no jurisdiction over the three US based teams and can NOT enforce that when it comes to Erie, Saginaw and Flint.

The OHL is in talks with the Ontario Government and they will absolutely insist they can not remove hitting from the game.

This is NOT a league thing, but a government thing by a Sports Minister that doesn't understand the game.

Lisa Macleod created a huge mess in her first job with this government in trying to revamp the Autism file, loud protests followed before the government promised to go back on the new changes and she was promptly moved out of that ministerial position to her current position. Now we have this, not to turn this into a political forum, but decisions like this seem to follow her, hopefully Premier Ford who is a big sports guys steps in here and brings back some common sense.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I'm not a Dr but man this confuses me... Body checking is not the top germ spreader in sports.

A faceoff seems like a much riskier thing is you ask me but maybe they know something I don't...

easton117

Nov 11, 2017

Kind of smells like a ‘hey we did something’ routine from our government.

Wish they could find a link between covid and potholes. The ones on my street are laying a beating on my suspension.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016

Wow. I’m all for keeping it safe but this is lunacy levels. You can’t hit each other but you can stand next to each other on a face off, sit next to each other on the bench, celebrate when you score and just have all around contact on the ice but hitting is where we draw the line?

Is this just a league taking an opportunity to remove hitting from the game in the name of “COVID”?

An utter joke.

Yes absolutely

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Wow. I’m all for keeping it safe but this is lunacy levels. You can’t hit each other but you can stand next to each other on a face off, sit next to each other on the bench, celebrate when you score and just have all around contact on the ice but hitting is where we draw the line?

Is this just a league taking an opportunity to remove hitting from the game in the name of “COVID”?

An utter joke.

sure is a joke, all for safety as well but a bridge too far

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
For junior players who are draft eligible, I wonder if many of them consider going to Europe instead to play.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I gotta wonder if this will be extremely difficult for the players...Since they have been taught at a young age to take the body, it seems to go against their hockey instincts

I also wonder what is defined as a body check....can a D angle someone coming down the wall into the boards or is that a no go....

might as well ban puck battles in the corner, since there is a more prolonged contact time than a body check

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad