No awards ceremony for 2024? Upd: scheduled eve of draft

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
They stopped adding week between latest awarding of Cup and draft (space for awards ceremony) to start later and avoid conflicts (as many) with NFL and college football.
As someone who does not watch football at all, I'm clueless on this. What conflicts would they have with the NFL and college football in June? I didn't think any sort of activity started until late July at the earliest.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
As someone who does not watch football at all, I'm clueless on this. What conflicts would they have with the NFL and college football in June? I didn't think any sort of activity started until late July at the earliest.

It’s not really football that conflicts that starts the season late. ESPN has the rights to the first round of the MLB playoffs and NHL Opening Night. The regular season is pushed back until after the Wild Card round now.

The calendar was shortened on the back end, because of how late the Cup Final can run and free agency starting July 1st.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It’s not really football that conflicts that starts the season late. ESPN has the rights to the first round of the MLB playoffs and NHL Opening Night. The regular season is pushed back until after the Wild Card round now.

The calendar was shortened on the back end, because of how late the Cup Final can run and free agency starting July 1st.
They really should’ve worked out a deal to push back to July 8 or something. Problem is they don’t want to have the draft on the holiday. And everyone wants to get on with their vacations.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Is there any other sport in which almost the entire structure takes a vacation?

Such a weird thing about hockey, and after living in Seattle I get it, enjoy the summer as much as you can, but that's kind of a weird part of hockey.

That being said, the league should maximize the weeks in which they're not in competition with more popular sports and I don't really know the way to do that other than bitch about the entire hockey community taking the summer off.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Is there any other sport in which almost the entire structure takes a vacation?

Such a weird thing about hockey, and after living in Seattle I get it, enjoy the summer as much as you can, but that's kind of a weird part of hockey.

That being said, the league should maximize the weeks in which they're not in competition with more popular sports and I don't really know the way to do that other than bitch about the entire hockey community taking the summer off.
NBA, largely nothing happens unless it’s an Olympic year

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
NBA, largely nothing happens unless it’s an Olympic year
Maybe I'm missing that, because I don't follow the NBA really at all, but I follow sports people and I get a ton of NBA shit on Twitter during the summer versus just getting local blog people in hockey in the same period.

Lik,e even in the off season the NBA dominates.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Maybe I'm missing that, because I don't follow the NBA really at all, but I follow sports people and I get a ton of NBA shit on Twitter during the summer versus just getting local blog people in hockey in the same period.

Lik,e even in the off season the NBA dominates.

Football does too. There is a short NFL 'dead period' around mid-June to late July, where a lot of coaches and execs take their vacations, right after the last mini-camp and before the regular training camp starts.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They really need to stop taking ideas from the NBA.

The awards show can be kind of lame sometimes, but I'd much rather have that vs doing it during the playoffs like the NBA does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad