No american in the top-10 the last three drafts

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
This strikes me as odd. In the period 1994-2008 at least one american was picked in the top-10 every draft, and now none three drafts in a row.

Overall USA is doing great, team USA is doing fantastic in the world junior cups and the number of americans in NHL is rapidly rising and theres plenty of very talented american prospects. How come we haven't seen any american in the top-10 now for a while? Is it a sign that the american development system still have a way to go before they can produce the Crosbys and Stamkos of this world or is it a sign of nothing at all and just pure coincidence?

As a comparison Sweden (that clearly is inferior to USA overall on junior level) have produced seven top-10picks in the same timespan.

Maybe it's a sign that american prospects tend to be underrated? Cam Fowler was in retrospect clearly a top-10pick.

Last edited:

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Well if canada and all the other countries had every player eligible to play for our wjc team it would be no contest. Like hall and seguin didn't play last year. Before that would have been duchene tavares evander kane. Before that stamkos schenn doughty.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I just think it will take time. They are clearly developing more high calibre players right now then they have in a long long time.

It's only a matter of time before more elite Americans show up on the scene.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have no doubts in my mind that the US will be the number 1 hockey nation, unquestioned, within 15-20 years.

They simply have too many people for it to not happen.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I just think it will take time. They are clearly developing more high calibre players right now then they have in a long long time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have no doubts in my mind that the US will be the number 1 hockey nation, unquestioned, within 15-20 years.

They simply have too many people for it to not happen

Quality>Quantity

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm

I agree, this constant stream of american rookies doing well is making it more and more clear that USA is the second best hockey nation in the world right now. Still to even have a sniff at the nr.1 spot they need to develop more high-end players.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

Highly doubt that. Most of America's better athletes play other sports like basketball and football.

In Chicago here...the media coverage of the Hawks is substandard compared to the Sox, Cubs, Bears and Bulls. And that's on the heals of the Hawks winning the Cup and 2 million people going to the parade.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
Highly doubt that. Most of America's better athletes play other sports like basketball and football.

In Chicago here...the media coverage of the Hawks is substandard compared to the Sox, Cubs, Bears and Bulls. And that's on the heals of the Hawks winning the Cup and 2 million people going to the parade.

Hawks media coverage may still be lagging behind the other major sports teams, but the team's profile certainly seems to have been raised in recent years. It's hard to go anywhere in the city without seeing at least one Blackhawks shirt along the way.

Hockey in the U.S. may not be on the rise in terms of viewership, but in player development, they certainly seem to be doing a good job. I think the biggest factor is the small number of rinks available in many areas. Even here in Chicago they're somewhat tough to find. As playing hockey becomes a viable option to more and more kids, I think we'll see a rise in top-end American talent. There are a lot of things holding that back at this point, though.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
they have a good chance in 2012, if Galchenyuk plays for the US he is a lock for top 10 right now and Ebert has a good shot as well

SiberianHockey

Feb 5, 2011
Moscow
I agree, this constant stream of american rookies doing well is making it more and more clear that USA is the second best hockey nation in the world right now. Still to even have a sniff at the nr.1 spot they need to develop more high-end players.

American hockey is on the rise and maybe it's a russian in me :) but... The amount of americans in NHL doesn't mean much to me. It's just their 'home league'. The results of international tournaments don't prove that USA is a second best. Just for instance i took the results of last 15 WJHC (1996-2011). Graduates of those WJHC comprises today's hockey world. Most nations(well except Canada) send their best junior players each year to these tournaments. And the results of these 15 tournaments are
Points(2pts for win system): USA 154 (105 games) Russia 176 (105) Canada 192(104) Sweden 141 (102) Finland 131(103).
Goals: USA 395-287. Russia 446-225. Canada 491-186. Sweden 403-257. Finland 350-266.
To me it's a statistically representative and quite unbiased data and the result is that USA is in tough competition with Sweden for the third place in hockey world, but the second place no doubt goes to Russia. (And the first place no doubt goes to Canada)

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Hockey is just too easily available in Canada for this to ever happen. Competitive hockey is provided for all ages at any given time throughout the years. Former NHL players and professional trainers open hockey camps, training facilities and can be rented out for team practises at any age. Even during leisure times you drive through any given neighbourhood in Canada and their are ball hockey games or pond hockey games everywhere. The Canadian youth are exposed too it and begin training in hockey as early as 3 years old and as long as hockey is the #1 sport in Canada, they will continue to be on top. I doubt the same can be said for the States, or better yet any region of the States.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Hockey is just too easily available in Canada for this to ever happen. Competitive hockey is provided for all ages at any given time throughout the years. Former NHL players and professional trainers open hockey camps, training facilities and can be rented out for team practises at any age. Even during leisure times you drive through any given neighbourhood in Canada and their are ball hockey games or pond hockey games everywhere. The Canadian youth are exposed too it and begin training in hockey as early as 3 years old and as long as hockey is the #1 sport in Canada, they will continue to be on top. I doubt the same can be said for the States, or better yet any region of the States.

I was under the impression that hockey participation is declining in Canada.

Minor hockey registration continues to be on a downward spiral and there are concerns that in the next 10 years, there could be 200,000 fewer kids playing the sport in this country.
“Through the trending we’ve gone through here, we feel that by 2020-21 if we continue to do what we are doing, we’re going to have 360,000 members as opposed to 560,000 members,” said Hockey Canada’s vice-president of member services Glen McCurdie from his Ottawa office. “That’s a fairly significant decrease in numbers over the next 10 years. From our perspective, it’s time to change the way that we are doing stuff.”

http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives/2011/02/hockey_canada_t.php

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

Only way I can see the USA becoming the top hockey nation is for hockey in the USA to take over at least baseball as the most popular sport. It'll never touch football, and similarly basketball. Baseball I don't even think is possible.

Like someone else said, unless the top American atheletes start wanting to play hockey from an early age, it simply won't happen. US mega athletes always choose Football/Basketball, more attention, more money. I don't see the US having a player on Crosby, Ovechkin, hell even Stamkos's level for a long time.

squidz*

American hockey is on the rise and maybe it's a russian in me :) but... The amount of americans in NHL doesn't mean much to me. It's just their 'home league'. The results of international tournaments don't prove that USA is a second best. Just for instance i took the results of last 15 WJHC (1996-2011). Graduates of those WJHC comprises today's hockey world. Most nations(well except Canada) send their best junior players each year to these tournaments. And the results of these 15 tournaments are
Points(2pts for win system): USA 154 (105 games) Russia 176 (105) Canada 192(104) Sweden 141 (102) Finland 131(103).
Goals: USA 395-287. Russia 446-225. Canada 491-186. Sweden 403-257. Finland 350-266.
To me it's a statistically representative and quite unbiased data and the result is that USA is in tough competition with Sweden for the third place in hockey world, but the second place no doubt goes to Russia. (And the first place no doubt goes to Canada)

I haven't looked at any of the data, but do the conclusions change if you look at a 5, 7, or 10 year period? If someone's trying to argue that the US is #2 today, then it doesn't do us much good to look at who won 15 years ago.

squidz*

Only way I can see the USA becoming the top hockey nation is for hockey in the USA to take over at least baseball as the most popular sport. It'll never touch football, and similarly basketball. Baseball I don't even think is possible.

Like someone else said, unless the top American atheletes start wanting to play hockey from an early age, it simply won't happen. US mega athletes always choose Football/Basketball, more attention, more money. I don't see the US having a player on Crosby, Ovechkin, hell even Stamkos's level for a long time.

Oh god, there's people who think basketball is more popular than baseball in the US! :help:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I was under the impression that hockey participation is declining in Canada.

http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives/2011/02/hockey_canada_t.php

It's declining but Hockey Canada has started iniatives to get it up. I definitely think Canada will still be the top hockey producing nation in 20-30 years, just they're be a lot more kids that were the sons of immigrants from non tradtional areas.

Oh god, there's people who think basketball is more popular than baseball in the US! :help:

Never said the NBA is more popular than MLB, but baseball doesn't have any of these super athletes that football and basketball have. How many superstar quality prospects have the USA produced in baseball? Not as many as they used to and defintely less then the other two sports. Basketball I'd say has already overtaken baseball if we're not talking about comparing the leagues.

Basketball is also gaining even more popularity while baseball is declining at a rapid pace. It's not a matter of if but a matter of when, that the NBA will pass the MLB.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
It's declining but Hockey Canada has started iniatives to get it up. I definitely think Canada will still be the top hockey producing nation in 20-30 years, just they're be a lot more kids that were the sons of immigrants from non tradtional areas.

Never said the NBA is more popular than MLB, but baseball doesn't have any of these super athletes that football and basketball have. How many superstar quality prospects have the USA produced in baseball? Not as many as they used to and defintely less then the other two sports. Basketball I'd say has already overtaken baseball if we're not talking about comparing the leagues.

Basketball is also gaining even more popularity while baseball is declining at a rapid pace. It's not a matter of if but a matter of when, that the NBA will pass the MLB.
Hockey doesn't really either. Its not like Canada is churning out hockey players who are in an unrivaled level of athleticism. So why would the U.S. need its super athletes to choose hockey to compete with the Canadian program? I just don't see hockey as a sport that really relies on super athleticism nearly as much as some others.
I'm not saying the U.S. will ever overtake Canada, but I certainly don't think hockey would have to surpass any others as far as popularity goes for it to happen.

TrollololBoyle

Mar 22, 2010
Danbury, CT

Tons. Baseball is America's sport just like Hockey is Canada's. Baseball is becoming very popular all over the world, more so than Hockey, it's pretty much the #1 sport in several spanish speaking countries as well, Japan is huge on baseball, and it's slowly gaining ground in Korea and the Netherlands. Hell, the Toronto Blue Jays will be more popular than the Leafs soon, I guarantee it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad