No american in the top-10 the last three drafts

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by cheerupmurray, Jul 31, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. cheerupmurray

cheerupmurray Registered User

This strikes me as odd. In the period 1994-2008 at least one american was picked in the top-10 every draft, and now none three drafts in a row.

Overall USA is doing great, team USA is doing fantastic in the world junior cups and the number of americans in NHL is rapidly rising and theres plenty of very talented american prospects. How come we haven't seen any american in the top-10 now for a while? Is it a sign that the american development system still have a way to go before they can produce the Crosbys and Stamkos of this world or is it a sign of nothing at all and just pure coincidence?

As a comparison Sweden (that clearly is inferior to USA overall on junior level) have produced seven top-10picks in the same timespan.

Maybe it's a sign that american prospects tend to be underrated? Cam Fowler was in retrospect clearly a top-10pick.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. pooleboy

pooleboy Registered User

Well if canada and all the other countries had every player eligible to play for our wjc team it would be no contest. Like hall and seguin didn't play last year. Before that would have been duchene tavares evander kane. Before that stamkos schenn doughty.

3. MrJonas

MrJonas Ekblades of Steel

^ I'll remember this for the next time I read a thread that isn't about Americans and the draft.

4. R S

R S @avs_tweets

scout
    I just think it will take time. They are clearly developing more high calibre players right now then they have in a long long time.

It's only a matter of time before more elite Americans show up on the scene.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have no doubts in my mind that the US will be the number 1 hockey nation, unquestioned, within 15-20 years.

They simply have too many people for it to not happen.

5. Oberyn

Oberyn Prince of Dorne

Quality>Quantity

6. R S

R S @avs_tweets

scout
    Yes I know...but I just think that with more and more exposure the difference in population will weigh heavily in favour of the US.

7. cheerupmurray

cheerupmurray Registered User

I agree, this constant stream of american rookies doing well is making it more and more clear that USA is the second best hockey nation in the world right now. Still to even have a sniff at the nr.1 spot they need to develop more high-end players.

8. Jamie Benn

Jamie Benn NHL Draft Enthusiast

Student.
    Nick Ebert will be hopefully, same with Jacob Trouba.

9. Sarava

Sarava Moderator

Highly doubt that. Most of America's better athletes play other sports like basketball and football.

In Chicago here...the media coverage of the Hawks is substandard compared to the Sox, Cubs, Bears and Bulls. And that's on the heals of the Hawks winning the Cup and 2 million people going to the parade.

10. OF17

OF17 Registered User

Hawks media coverage may still be lagging behind the other major sports teams, but the team's profile certainly seems to have been raised in recent years. It's hard to go anywhere in the city without seeing at least one Blackhawks shirt along the way.

Hockey in the U.S. may not be on the rise in terms of viewership, but in player development, they certainly seem to be doing a good job. I think the biggest factor is the small number of rinks available in many areas. Even here in Chicago they're somewhat tough to find. As playing hockey becomes a viable option to more and more kids, I think we'll see a rise in top-end American talent. There are a lot of things holding that back at this point, though.

11. YEGJuniorFan

YEGJuniorFan Registered User

they have a good chance in 2012, if Galchenyuk plays for the US he is a lock for top 10 right now and Ebert has a good shot as well

12. Stephen

Stephen Registered User

Home Page:
    Cam Fowler should have been drafted in the top 10 last summer.

13. SiberianHockey

SiberianHockey Registered User

American hockey is on the rise and maybe it's a russian in me :) but... The amount of americans in NHL doesn't mean much to me. It's just their 'home league'. The results of international tournaments don't prove that USA is a second best. Just for instance i took the results of last 15 WJHC (1996-2011). Graduates of those WJHC comprises today's hockey world. Most nations(well except Canada) send their best junior players each year to these tournaments. And the results of these 15 tournaments are
    Points(2pts for win system): USA 154 (105 games) Russia 176 (105) Canada 192(104) Sweden 141 (102) Finland 131(103).
    Goals: USA 395-287. Russia 446-225. Canada 491-186. Sweden 403-257. Finland 350-266.
    To me it's a statistically representative and quite unbiased data and the result is that USA is in tough competition with Sweden for the third place in hockey world, but the second place no doubt goes to Russia. (And the first place no doubt goes to Canada)

14. Luongos Knob

Luongos Knob Registered User

I guess the teams were... too chicken to draft fowler?

15. The Podium

The Podium Registered User

Hockey is just too easily available in Canada for this to ever happen. Competitive hockey is provided for all ages at any given time throughout the years. Former NHL players and professional trainers open hockey camps, training facilities and can be rented out for team practises at any age. Even during leisure times you drive through any given neighbourhood in Canada and their are ball hockey games or pond hockey games everywhere. The Canadian youth are exposed too it and begin training in hockey as early as 3 years old and as long as hockey is the #1 sport in Canada, they will continue to be on top. I doubt the same can be said for the States, or better yet any region of the States.

16. Hanji

Hanji Registered User

I was under the impression that hockey participation is declining in Canada.

http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives/2011/02/hockey_canada_t.php

17. Nullus Reverentia

Nullus Reverentia Hic Sunt Dracones

Helium-3 Space Pirate
    Only way I can see the USA becoming the top hockey nation is for hockey in the USA to take over at least baseball as the most popular sport. It'll never touch football, and similarly basketball. Baseball I don't even think is possible.

Like someone else said, unless the top American atheletes start wanting to play hockey from an early age, it simply won't happen. US mega athletes always choose Football/Basketball, more attention, more money. I don't see the US having a player on Crosby, Ovechkin, hell even Stamkos's level for a long time.

18. squidz*

squidz* Guest

I haven't looked at any of the data, but do the conclusions change if you look at a 5, 7, or 10 year period? If someone's trying to argue that the US is #2 today, then it doesn't do us much good to look at who won 15 years ago.

19. squidz*

squidz* Guest

Oh god, there's people who think basketball is more popular than baseball in the US! :help:

20. UvBnDatsyuked

UvBnDatsyuked Registered User

Nevermind read wrong

21. Nullus Reverentia

Nullus Reverentia Hic Sunt Dracones

Helium-3 Space Pirate
    It's declining but Hockey Canada has started iniatives to get it up. I definitely think Canada will still be the top hockey producing nation in 20-30 years, just they're be a lot more kids that were the sons of immigrants from non tradtional areas.

Never said the NBA is more popular than MLB, but baseball doesn't have any of these super athletes that football and basketball have. How many superstar quality prospects have the USA produced in baseball? Not as many as they used to and defintely less then the other two sports. Basketball I'd say has already overtaken baseball if we're not talking about comparing the leagues.

Basketball is also gaining even more popularity while baseball is declining at a rapid pace. It's not a matter of if but a matter of when, that the NBA will pass the MLB.

22. The Podium

The Podium Registered User

23. Sure doesn't seem like it, hockey is everywhere here... I'm guessing the numbers have dropped because of the economy and should jump back up when things turn around, hockey gear is pricey.

24. txomisc

txomisc Registered User

self-employed
    Home Page:
    Hockey doesn't really either. Its not like Canada is churning out hockey players who are in an unrivaled level of athleticism. So why would the U.S. need its super athletes to choose hockey to compete with the Canadian program? I just don't see hockey as a sport that really relies on super athleticism nearly as much as some others.
    I'm not saying the U.S. will ever overtake Canada, but I certainly don't think hockey would have to surpass any others as far as popularity goes for it to happen.

25. TrollololBoyle

TrollololBoyle Registered User

Tons. Baseball is America's sport just like Hockey is Canada's. Baseball is becoming very popular all over the world, more so than Hockey, it's pretty much the #1 sport in several spanish speaking countries as well, Japan is huge on baseball, and it's slowly gaining ground in Korea and the Netherlands. Hell, the Toronto Blue Jays will be more popular than the Leafs soon, I guarantee it.