No Action?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Theres been enough stinkers in the last ten games, let alone the whole season, and still no action. PC is still making trades, and has apparently made it known hes not done. Is it safe to assume hes not going anywhere until the season is over? If, after all the press about how on the edge he is, and after whatever that was on the ice last night, if he wasnt removed immediately this morning why do it at all during the season?

The fact that nothing has happened above Hitchcock really tells me this situation isnt going to be dealt with any differently than any other situation over the last 15 years.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Pretty safe to assume, yes.

I'm not sure what people expect teams to do mid-season in regards to front office changes. Like it or not this team is still in the playoff conversation. Literally seven games ago a couple of wins would have had them hitting the 20-win mark on the earliest date going back to 1985. Unfortunately that was also when Oscar Klefbom and Kris Russell went down to injury.

This team is going to get healthy and play out the remainder of the season. If something doesn't change on the ice in the very near future, then yes, it's likely the front office sees an overhaul come April.

Last edited:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

I'm not sure what people expect teams to do mid-season in regards to front office changes. Like it or not this team is still in the playoff conversation. Literally seven games ago couple of wins would have had them hitting the 20-win mark on the earliest date going back to 1985. Unfortunately that was also when Oscar Klefbom and Kris Russell went down to injury.

This team is going to get healthy and play out the remainder of the season. If something doesn't change on the ice in the very near future, then yes, it's likely the front office sees an overhaul come April.
Hes still making trades that immediately hurt the team in more ways than just on ice product. Hes still actively adding cap while subtracting what little goal scoring they have. Why would you let that continue if youre still in the hunt, and the whole reason youre going to fire him is for doing exactly what hes still doing?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its my take that Katz and the redwine club had a lot to look at in this game. Gretz, Nicholson, and others were actually there in attendance. That's also why I appreciated so much that Doughty and the Kings bench were laughing at the Oilers. Shit now has to hit the fire, it will in some way. Katz is reactive when angered. The only way to get any movement out of him.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I'm not sure what people expect teams to do mid-season in regards to front office changes. Like it or not this team is still in the playoff conversation. Literally seven games ago couple of wins would have had them hitting the 20-win mark on the earliest date going back to 1985. Unfortunately that was also when Oscar Klefbom and Kris Russell went down to injury.

There is motivation to make a change mid-season, to prevent further damage from a GM who is bound to make more desperation moves for the sake of saving a lost season and at the expense of the long term. There's plenty of good reasons to make that change and not merely "let it play out for the rest of the season".

The worst of all this is that they will likely use the injury excuse as the reason for the slide when in reality, the team was getting outplayed regularly before Klefbom went down and had massive deficiencies that were being masked by the unsustainable Koski hot streak. Klefbom and Russell getting injured sucked for reasons beyond their presence in the lineup being missed. It probably bought this moron more rope and this false delusion that this was a playoff roster if healthy.

Reactions: frag2 and Aerrol

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
There is motivation to make a change mid-season, to prevent further damage from a GM who is bound to make more desperation moves for the sake of saving a lost season and at the expense of the long term. There's plenty of good reasons to make that change and not merely "let it play out for the rest of the season".

The worst of all this is that they will likely use the injury excuse as the reason for the slide when in reality, the team was getting outplayed regularly before Klefbom went down. Klefbom and Russell getting injured sucked for reasons beyond their presence in the lineup being missed. It probably bought this moron more rope.
I like the guy and dislike the amount of hate he gets, but when losing Kris Russell to injury somehow dooms your season, clearly you were doomed with him. Klefbom is out every season. Its sad, isnt it?

Lets watch Sekera go down and not have a plan to replace him. Now lets do it again next year, cause it'll be fine.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

I'm not sure what people expect teams to do mid-season in regards to front office changes. Like it or not this team is still in the playoff conversation. Literally seven games ago a couple of wins would have had them hitting the 20-win mark on the earliest date going back to 1985. Unfortunately that was also when Oscar Klefbom and Kris Russell went down to injury.

Normally I might agree that it’s pointless changing a GM mid season but the Cagguila trade proves it isn’t. What we’re seeing is a desperate Chiarelli is even worse than the regular Chiarelli. That’s as baffling a trade as we’ve seen so far. We don’t heed him making any others.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Chiarelli needs to go asap before he damages the team even further. Yes, GM's usually aren't fired mid season but Chiarelli should be an exception. We don't want a chimp at the wheel come trade deadline.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Personally, as much as I would like to see his smug mug removed from this organization, I would prefer to wait until the season ends, as I think the options are better. But if you do that, he MUST NOT be allowed to make ANY more trades, other than trying to get rid of some excess junk for draft picks.

Reactions: MessierII

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Get rid of him and go with an interim for now before more damage is incurred.
Our insurance doesn't cover acts of Chia.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Personally, as much as I would like to see his smug mug removed from this organization, I would prefer to wait until the season ends, as I think the options are better. But if you do that, he MUST NOT be allowed to make ANY more trades, other than trying to get rid of some excess junk for draft picks.

Why does waiting make a difference? My sons dirty diapers would be more effective as Chiarelli at this point. Just name an interm GM.

If you're at the point of keeping him, but not allowing him to do anything, why would he still be around? At this point he needs to ge fired just for the PR.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Why does waiting make a difference? My sons dirty diapers would be more effective as Chiarelli at this point. Just name an interm GM.

If you're at the point of keeping him, but not allowing him to do anything, why would he still be around? At this point he needs to ge fired just for the PR.
I'd be at peace with either scenario, but am concerned who they name as interim. Do you want Howson or MacT at the helm?

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Get rid of him and go with an interim for now before more damage is incurred.
Our insurance doesn't cover acts of Chia.

This. Chia made the mess he's in, we've seen enough from him. Time to bring in an interim GM to try and fix things for the next management group. Chia is making an even bigger mess, somehow adding even more useless players to our tight cap situation next year. It's unbelievable what a poor job Chia did, and in such different fashions than the Oiler GMs that did poorly before him.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
If they miss the playoffs he'll be fired in April.

Aside from panic trades, I doubt you see any more movement until then.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
If they miss the playoffs he'll be fired in April.

Aside from panic trades, I doubt you see any more movement until then.
What do you think his last handful of trades have been?

This is the root of the problem. It shouldn't damn well matter whether or not McD, Drai and Nuge carry this team into the playoffs. He should be gone regardless. Everyone can see it. It's in the media now finally getting attention.

Why continue to wait things out? Rip the f***in scab off and clean the wound as soon as possible. No more pissing away games that turn into seasons that turn into years that turn into decades.

It's a damn clown show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad