NLL/Saskatchewan Rush Ownership Sale/Change

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
National Lacrosse League

Saskatchewan Rush (now previous) owner Bruce Urban has sold the Priestner Sports Corp, who currently own the Saskatoon Blades. (WHL)

For context the Rush have led or been in the top 3 in attendance during their time in Saskatoon regularly out drawing Buffalo, Calgary, Colorado etc.. etc.. and are multiple time NLL champions.

This is a relatively unexpected move as Urban had publicly stated he would put a good chunk of personal money into the new downtown arena project, as late as last season. It was in the 20 million range of contribution. So it seems like he didn't have any inclination to sell before covid. (but that could be just talk..) So I would call this a bit unexpected.

Perhaps Mr.Urban will be starting another Edmonton team or expansion team elsewhere. (Just pure speculation).

The rush were making very good money, so I find this personally very strange. You don't just sell cash cows for no reason.

Last edited:

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
National Lacrosse League

Saskatchewan Rush (now previous) owner Bruce Urban has sold the Priestner Sports Corp, who currently own the Saskatoon Blades. (WHL)

For context the Rush have led or been in the top 3 in attendance during their time in Saskatoon regularly out drawing Buffalo, Calgary, Colorado etc.. etc.. and are multiple time NLL champions.

This is a relatively unexpected move as Urban had publicly stated he would put a good chunk of personal money into the new downtown arena project, as late as last season. It was in the 20 million range of contribution. So it seems like he didn't have any inclination to sell before covid. (but that could be just talk..) So I would call this a bit unexpected.

Perhaps Mr.Urban will be starting another Edmonton team or expansion team elsewhere. (Just pure speculation).

The rush were making very good money, so I find this personally very strange. You don't just sell cash cows for no reason.

Thing is, if somebody made an offer right now, at pre-2020 valuations, I think you have to take a long, hard look at it. It is reaching a point where, short of a hockey franchise, and even there it's not as solid, why would you want to operate a sports franchise in Canada? Regardless of the "right or wrong" of it, pretty much all levels of government here have gone on the "no large crowds" track to a significant degree, and I think it would be foolish to believe they wouldn't pull that lever again at the first sign of any kind of trouble after this current situation is over.

And that doesn't even bring into play the border situations. I really have to wonder if the Blue Jays and Raptors could be leaving Toronto for not necessarily greener pastures, but somewhere where they might have a bit of certainty as to how they can operate. If I could get my investment back(and he is likely pocketing a nice return), I'd be getting the heck out of there while I could. Let someone else hold the bag.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Bruce Urban moved the Rush from Edmonton to Saskatchewan in a controversial move

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
This is probably the right time to sell.

Though the Rush have had very good attendance, the NLL's model is still very gate dependant. The league hasn't played a game since the pandemic started so losses have likley reached to the point where it wouldn't make sense to hold on any longer.

I think being under the Blades umbrella is good move. If a new arena happens it will stabilize the franchise more.

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
The New England Blackwolves were sold by the Mohegan Tribe this off season as well and are going to play out of Albany. With the cancellation of the season and uncertainty surrounding the border for awhile, I wonder if there are going to be more sales and relocations in the NLL...

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
And Toronto is moving to Hamilton

I don't like this. They will draw good/fine in Hamilton, but the "big league feel" is gone. Playing at ACC/Scotiabank is the premier spot in all of Canada.

None the less, I'm sure they may even sellout in Hamilton and possibly make more money and pay less rent.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I don't like this. They will draw good/fine in Hamilton, but the "big league feel" is gone. Playing at ACC/Scotiabank is the premier spot in all of Canada.

None the less, I'm sure they may even sellout in Hamilton and possibly make more money and pay less rent.

From what I've seen, Maple Leaf Gardens had a MUCH better feel than it did at ACC/Scotiabank...way too corporate and ushers were basically joy killers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad