NLDS: St. Louis Cardinals vs Chicago Cubs

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I find it amusing people bash Sox fans for having an opinion

Cub fans certainly took delight in 2012 chokejob of AL Central crown and were gloating when Javy Vazquez tried to kill 2008 season

People who don't live/work and aren't related to Cub fans will never understand the nonsense we put up with from them especially thru Sox down years

2003 Cub fans couldn't help but bash Sox and constantly rub in our faces what Cubs were doing in NLCS and how they were WS bound (We all know how that turned out late in game 6 and in game 7)

I didn't gloat to Cub fans in 05 and they still brought up attendance and other nonsense and actively many turned into Astro fans in 2005

So screw em

Honey Bear

Fan of Losing Teams
Feb 3, 2012
SF Bay Area/Boston

Cub fans certainly took delight in 2012 chokejob of AL Central crown and were gloating when Javy Vazquez tried to kill 2008 season

People who don't live/work and aren't related to Cub fans will never understand the nonsense we put up with from them especially thru Sox down years

2003 Cub fans couldn't help but bash Sox and constantly rub in our faces what Cubs were doing in NLCS and how they were WS bound (We all know how that turned out late in game 6 and in game 7)

I didn't gloat to Cub fans in 05 and they still brought up attendance and other nonsense and actively many turned into Astro fans in 2005

So screw em

Stay salty Sox fan.

S A W F T*

So screw em

I've been a Cubs fan my whole life and have never concerned myself with how bad the Sox are doing.

Wasn't rooting for the Sox to win in '05, but enjoyed watching it.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I'm sure it's been mentioned earlier but I don't feel like searching for it.....how on earth was this only the first ever series-clinching Cubs win at Wrigley? :help:

S A W F T*

I'm sure it's been mentioned earlier but I don't feel like searching for it.....how on earth was this only the first ever series-clinching Cubs win at Wrigley? :help:

Small sample size ;)

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Sadly it appears Cubs may be team of destiny

I don't see anyone left in playoff field that will be favored to beat them

Awful to see happen but it appears this is Cubs year

I'd be fine with Cubs winning.

KC
Astros
Cubs
Mets

Probably in that order.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
What's really scary is as ridiculously good as this Cubs team is, they're gonna be even better next year.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
What's really scary is as ridiculously good as this Cubs team is, they're gonna be even better next year.

Been so long since a cubs team has been good. like actually good. Dynasty good.

This team will be beastly.

Most teams who beat St Louis win the world series.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Been so long since a cubs team has been good. like actually good. Dynasty good.

This team will be beastly.

Most teams who beat St Louis win the world series.

Pump the breaks will you? Cubbies did nothing yet, as a fan of theirs the future looks bright, but they haven't done nothing yet.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Pump the breaks will you? Cubbies did nothing yet, as a fan of theirs the future looks bright, but they haven't done nothing yet.

You're right, they have done quite a bit! ;)

And they may not be done yet!

I'd very much like to see them come out of the NL.

Dream matchup remains Toronto/Chicago....can you imagine all the anti-Canadian rhetoric if the Jays swoop in and rob the Cubbies of breaking the curse? An entire nation behind Chicago, and those dastardly Canadians spoil all the fun. It'd be great.

Harold Reynolds would lose his ****ing mind. :laugh:

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
The Cards lost a postseason series to a very good team that made few mistakes and capitalized on nearly all of the Cardinals mistakes. Every time they got some momentum going, the Cubs hit another 0-2 or first pitch fastball out. Tremendous plate discipline as well, very good at working into hitter's counts. Should be a great NLCS against either the Mets or Dodgers staff.

I'm very pleased with the season the Cardinals had, despite losing in the NLDS. If you would have told me all the names that would have missed significant time this year and that it was still going to be a 100 win season in a, steak at Outback, tough division, I would have looked as confused at you as Matt Adams looks at a garden salad.

Now to start sending Edible Arrangements and sappy love notes to Jason Heyward.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
You're right, they have done quite a bit! ;)

And they may not be done yet!

I'd very much like to see them come out of the NL.

Dream matchup remains Toronto/Chicago....can you imagine all the anti-Canadian rhetoric if the Jays swoop in and rob the Cubbies of breaking the curse? An entire nation behind Chicago, and those dastardly Canadians spoil all the fun. It'd be great.

Harold Reynolds would lose his ****ing mind. :laugh:

:laugh:

Stinkin double negatives in English ;)

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
That stat was mind boggling...first series clinching win by Cubs in Wrigley Field history

:amazed: That is insane, given the amount of history. Maybe not as mind blowing as...

Not only are the Cubs in the NLCS. But they did so by dispatching the #1 seed and their arch rival.

Its pretty nuts to me, too. This Cardinals team has a knack for coming back, clutch hits, grinding other teams down and staying in games until the end. Yet they just got beat by a very young team in their first year of contention playing for a "hexed" franchise. So many things about that are crazy, but full credit to their players, to Joe Maddon and to Epstein, who clearly was earning his pay there despite the losing seasons.

And they are definitely a blast to watch. Youthful enthusiasm + homers + crazy crowd is a joy for any neutral fan.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Congrats to the Cubs, but I still think the Mets/Dodgers will be favored against them.

In terms of looking forward, the Cubs' biggest concern has to be pitching. Sure, they have Arrieta and Lester, but Lester didn't look great this year and Arrieta is only one pitcher. Their 3/4/5 are underwhelming, even if both Hammel and Hendricks won against a depleted Cardinals squad. I wouldn't be surprised if they traded a Baez/Castro for a starting pitcher or else signed another elite starter a la Price for next year. Right now, if Arrieta is at all figured out or gets injured, their rotation is scary in a bad way. Their top pitching prospects are either relievers or a couple years out. Either way, this a fun season for Cubs fans. Honestly, I'm glad the Cubs are getting good again because it makes the rivalry that much more fun.

Looking now at the Cardinals, I think this series should make it evident that signing Heyward is a must. With a healthy lineup, I still think the Cardinals would have taken this series, not the least because Wainwright would have pitched at least once and Molina would be healthy. But that's playing revisionist history at the moment. Anyway, looking into next year, with Wain-o healthy, I feel like we won't re-sign Lackey as he'll be too expensive but we will pick up the club option on Garcia, giving us a Wainright/Wacha/Martinez/Lynn/Garcia rotation with Lyons and Gonzales as the 6th/7th starters. I'd put Piscotty at first and Grichuk in center. Keep Adams on the bench and make Pham the 4th outfielder. Jay as the 5th guy, I guess. Trade Bourjos for whatever. Let Reynolds go. Would love if we made a big play for a Cueto/Price/etc. but I don't see that happening. Need to sign a new righty and lefty reliever so Siegrist and Manness aren't dead by the playoffs.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I could be totally wrong, but I think the Cubs take care of either team quite easily. They are that good.

solventless710

Jan 5, 2005
Now we're talking about the Cubs being a potential dynasty, guys?

662006611c34f47ce3b7060b99fe9a4b.jpg

I don't have anything against the Cubs, but I hope they get lit the **** up in the NLCS.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think the Cubs could have trouble with the Mets or Dodgers pitching. I don't think it's a guarantee either way - NLCS should be pretty entertaining no matter what happens tomorrow night.

Stu Grimson

Apr 16, 2014
I've been a Cubs fan my whole life and have never concerned myself with how bad the Sox are doing.

Wasn't rooting for the Sox to win in '05, but enjoyed watching it.

This. And what BWC was crying about, I could care less about because most of it I forgot happened. In 2005, I didn't root against the Sox I just didn't watch it. Sox fans should worry more about the failures of the current team than what the Cubs are doing. Salty Salty Sox Fans.

Stu Grimson

Apr 16, 2014

Wrigley opened in 1914, until 1969 it was only the WS as there were no playoffs. After 1969, they made the playoffs in 1984 and 1989 when there was just the LCS. 1998 they lost in the LDS, 2003, they won in the LDS in Atlanta but lost the LCS. 2007 and 2008 they lost the LDS.

It really isnt that amazing of a stat as the White Sox themselves have not won a post season series in the city of Chicago at least since 1917(maybe even longer than that)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
This. And what BWC was crying about, I could care less about because most of it I forgot happened. In 2005, I didn't root against the Sox I just didn't watch it. Sox fans should worry more about the failures of the current team than what the Cubs are doing. Salty Salty Sox Fans.

So at very least you don't deny it happens and that Cub fans are among the worst in sport. Thank You!

As for your experience in 2005 ,, you would be in minority as Cub fans actively were rooting for there division rival to beat Sox

And Cub fans should actually win something before comparing team to 85 Bears , 90's Bulls , 05 White Sox and 10/13/15 Hawks.

The Last Baron*

So at very least you don't deny it happens and that Cub fans are among the worst in sport. Thank You!

As for your experience in 2005 ,, you would be in minority as Cub fans actively were rooting for there division rival to beat Sox

And Cub fans should actually win something before comparing team to 85 Bears , 90's Bulls , 05 White Sox and 10/13/15 Hawks.
I don't think it's possible for Cubs Fans to win a World Series seeing as they are not on the team.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The Cubs are going to get screwed. The MLB rules are awful. World Series home field should not be determined by a winner of an exhibition. They should host the NLCS because they have the best record. I don't get why the MLB wants to make divisions more important than they are. They have long outlasted their intended purpose. The Cubs are being penalized for being in the best division. I don't think it will matter. They have a much better team than LA. Arrieta is better than both of their top 2 and Lester is usually money in October. Hendricks is better than their 3 or 4. Hammel wasn't bad yesterday but I understand why Maddon was short with him putting everything in that game. Also the Dodgers lineup outside of Gonzalez isn't that intimidating. Mets would be more of a challenge but I just don't see them winning this game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad