Switzerland: NLB player gets knocked against the boards and could remain paralyzed

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
Last edited:

ficohok*

NicoSB

Sep 18, 2012
He broke his fourth thoracic verbratra (sorry I don't know the exact English expression, so I took a dictionary).

Last edited:

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I still remember seeing Jaroslav Otevrel's incident 15 years ago, this one doesn't look that bad (from video), but the result seems to be the same. And naturally, that's what really matters.

edit. Actually, Keller "only" lost his ability to walk? That's not _that_ bad, I mean, naturally it will effect the rest of his life and is a big tragedy, but Otevrel can't use his hands either.

Again, I'm not saying "oh this is nothing", but just correcting myself about it being the same. I really hope that Keller can continue using his hands, it makes a big difference in the end.

Just to make sure: This is a big tragedy and I really hope Keller will be able to continue his life as normally as possible, at least to use his hands.

Last edited:

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
I read that the guy who hit him is a very good friend of Keller.
Very tragic for everyone involved. :(

NicoSB

Sep 18, 2012
He actually broke his 2nd and 5th lumbar vertebra.
That's really awful to hear he won't be able to walk again..

Where did you get the information from? Not that it would matter anyway, it's just due to my interests since I am deeply connected to him and his team.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
I really hope that Keller can continue using his hands, it makes a big difference in the end.

While I wouldn't trust newsmedia to provide accurate medical reporting, the text I read about the incident said he was paraplegic, which would mean only his lower body is paralyzed.

Terrible incident any way. Felt horrible watching the video.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
I hope it's true that he "only" can't use his legs. If this would also be the case with his hands this would be even a mio timers heavier. :amazed:

NicoSB

Sep 18, 2012
I hope it's true that he "only" can't use his legs. If this would also be the case with his hands this would be even a mio timers heavier. :amazed:

Well, he was able to move his arms after the incident, I'm pretty sure I saw a movement but I'm not a doctor and can't say if this might change after a while

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I read that the guy who hit him is a very good friend of Keller.
Very tragic for everyone involved. :(

Definitely a very sad story !! **** happens ! and sometimes in a dramatic way.

It is really visible that he pushes him, and that keller is in desequilibrium and pivot on his horizontal axis.
And lands on the boarder head first.

Very sad.

All the best to him and his close people.

e46330ivs*

Ronny Keller, a swiss defenseman playing for the EHC Olten in the NLB, got pushed head first against the boards during a playoff game. He was immediately taken to the hospital where he underwent surgery. Doctors said there's only 50% chances he could walk again..

Here's a link to a swiss article where there's a video of the hit http://www.lematin.ch/sports/hockey/ronny-keller-evacue-helicoptere/story/13701924

Definitely a very sad story !! **** happens ! and sometimes in a dramatic way.

Ok first off I feel horrible for the kid and dont wish this on anyone, but obviously everybody on here is either blind or never played hockey before maybe both. Where is there a push, Keller engages the other guy with a shoulder check and the forechecker had more momentum and keller saw him the whole way initiated contact but was simply overpowered. Anyone who's ever played hockey knows to brace yourself against the boards and absorb the impact. Unless your Chara, Pronger or a Weber where those boys have the strength to pull that play, its unfortunate but his own fault. This video should be shown to kids everywhere about how to take a check properly. I thought the same thing when I first looked at it on a blurry internet video, but once I saw it in HD I completely changed my mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad