Switzerland: NLA 2020-2021 (Zug wins championship)

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Hi - is there a site where the imports are denoted in the Swiss league? It is hard to tell who has a swiss player license and who does not.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I don't think that there is a special site with this information collected. eliteprospects notes it on a player page tough.

Edit: This system with foreigners having a swiss license is currently under discussion. There is a good possibility that it wont' be possible to get a swiss license if you're not a swiss national in the future.

Last edited:

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I don't think that there is a special site with this information collected. eliteprospects notes it on a player page tough.

Edit: This system with foreigners having a swiss license is currently under discussion. There is a good possibility that it wont' be possible to get a swiss license if you're not a swiss national in the future.
Thanks. I find it quite confusing as it is apparently a gentleman's agreement that you can play with 4 on any given night although teams seem to carry 5 or 6. Someone like Josh Jooris has a Swiss player license as he played youth hockey in Switzerland.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
It is obvious the club is not willing to terminate his contract on club´s initiative/mutual agreement. If Avangard wanted to do that, it would happen a month ago.

So, there is an option of a trade to another KHL club. But it is difficult to make. Multiple reasons.

So, they are considering other option, exactly the one I described. Definitely, the club will not agree to release him for free. It is a business.

Edit: Speculation is that he'll sign in Zug, ZSC or Lausanne.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

In addition to the regular start on September 18, there are scenarios in which the season might start on October 1, November 1, December 1 or - next year - on January 1. The decision will have to be taken at least five weeks in advance.

Source: swisshockeynews.ch

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

Andrighetto's agent claims that three clubs are in the race: Lausanne, ZSC Lions and EV Zug.

EV Zug manager Reto Kläy: "We have a hiring freeze. I cannot sign anyone. EVZ has not offered Andrighetto a contract."

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

He hopes to get a contract with the Chicago Blackhawks who draftet him but would like to play in Switzerland until the 2020-21 NHL season gets under way.

Marco Rossi on the other hand is not looking to start in the NLA:

Last edited:
Reactions: BlizzardSloth

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Michael Frolík is negotiating with Lausanne HC. The other contender for the player is Avangard Omsk.

Meanwhile talks between Lausanne and Maxim Shalunov have died down.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I don't see it. If it was the 80s or early 90s, then sure. But today? No team from Italy could keep up with an NLA club.
Right now, not a chance.

But if a team from Milan started dominating Alps league, then petitioned to join Swiss League/NLB/whatever and work their way up. Travel time isn’t much different than Ticino to the rest of the country.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

Big events (>1000 people) could stay prohibited until March 2021, but our government has not taken a decision by now. This could be the end of the NLA as we know it.

What would happen with the existing player contracts if this came to be?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad