Switzerland: NLA 2020-2021 (Zug wins championship)

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
This is a bit of a unusual hire from Bern in my opinion. NLA teams often hired Canadian verteran coaches in the past but those had almost always lots of experience in european pro leagues. Lately the trend seems to have shifted towards young scandinavian coaches and away from Canadians (with the exceptions of guys like Kossmann who have been in the NLA forever). Maybe the fact that Nachbaur was a longetime junior Coach was the reason for the hire, as Berns player core is pretty old and needs a rebuild pretty badly right now...

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
Next season sure is gonna be special since there's not gonna be a regulation due to the financial situation caused by Covid-19. But promotion is still gonna be a thing, so it could be that from the season 21/22 the league contains 13 teams. But this will only apply if the team that wins the NLB gets licensed for the NLA. However, it's not sure if they gonna continue stocking up to 14 or will get down to 12 again. Also, some kind of salary cap (financial fair play) is considered by the league, but they haven't made any decisions yet. The next years could bring some massive changes to the Swiss hockey leagues.

When it comes to the season 20/21 itself, I think it's gonna be, once again, a showdown between Zug and Zurich as it was at the end of the last regular season. Even though I see a lot of potential for Lugano and Davos as well. Geneva without Wingels won't be as strong as last season. I don't see Bern having such a bad season again, but I don't consider them contenders right now. But we'll see what Don Nachbaur brings to the team. Also, it's gonna be Ambri's last season in the old Valascia-Arena, this is gonna be very special and I'll definitely head south to catch some last games there.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Good to hear the old venues are being replaced by new one.

Regarding the salary cap, the NL would be the 2nd European league introducing the salary cap. According to early rumours, the ceiling should be 7 mil francs with a luxury tax while the floor should be 5 mil francs.

Just to compare with the KHL where the ceiling is 12,2 mil francs (without bonuses) - no luxury tax, with bonuses it is around 17 mil francs, plus some kind of bonuses which are unlimited (best 4 teams, top 3 scorer etc). The KHL cap floor should be 6 mil francs without bonuses.

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
Good to hear the old venues are being replaced by new one.

While I, as a season ticket holder in Zurich, really look forward to our new arena (to be opened in Summer 2022), I'm also quite sad that Ambri is gonna lose the Valascia. The team, and their arena, are just something special.

When it comes to the salary cap, I wouldn't put too much hope in it by now. There are some other proposals around, how they could decrease the costs of the salaries, like lifting the limit of foreign players allowed per team. This proposal by Marc Lüthi (SC Bern) was turned down last year, but especially if the league is gonna stock up to 14 teams, they're gonna think about this again.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
While I, as a season ticket holder in Zurich, really look forward to our new arena (to be opened in Summer 2022), I'm also quite sad that Ambri is gonna lose the Valascia. The team, and their arena, are just something special.

When it comes to the salary cap, I wouldn't put too much hope in it by now. There are some other proposals around, how they could decrease the costs of the salaries, like lifting the limit of foreign players allowed per team. This proposal by Marc Lüthi (SC Bern) was turned down last year, but especially if the league is gonna stock up to 14 teams, they're gonna think about this again.

And where Ambri will play ? They are building new arena ?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Should I rename the thread to "NLA 2020-2021"? It's the National League now, but I guess everyone keeps referring to the league as NLA? Which I find very agreeable, I don't see the point in anglicize everything (in particular a domestic hockey league).

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
Should I rename the thread to "NLA 2020-2021"? It's the National League now, but I guess everyone keeps referring to the league as NLA? Which I find very agreeable, I don't see the point in anglicize everything (in particular a domestic hockey league).
That would make sense. It's more known as NLA. Also, the funny thing about the anglicization of our league names is, that our second tier, former NLB, is now called "Swiss League". Everybody outside of CH refers to the NLA as "the Swiss league" but means the National League. So I guess it's more comfortable to stick with NLA & NLB.

Reactions: KTl

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
That would make sense. It's more known as NLA. Also, the funny thing about the anglicization of our league names is, that our second tier, former NLB, is now called "Swiss League". Everybody outside of CH refers to the NLA as "the Swiss league" but means the National League. So I guess it's more comfortable to stick with NLA & NLB.

I'm inclined to agree.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Head coach Rikard Grönborg extends contract with ZSC Lions.

"The contract includes an NHL out clause for the 2022-23 season, which is valid until December 31 of 2021. Grönborg's original contract would have run through the 2020-21 season."

swisshockeynews.ch

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
This is quite surprising, there were rumours all around that he is NHL-bound next summer.

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland

Sven Andrighetto could return to Switzerland. According to his agent, no KHL team could match the offers he receives from Switzerland. Where do you think he could end up? As a replacement for Pius Suter in his youth club in Zurich or elsewhere? I guess when it comes to money, only Zurich, Bern, Lausanne, Lugano and Zug could afford him.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I don't think Bern has spare budget to afford him, so maybe the ZSC with an open spot due to the possible departure of Pius Suter could be a good guess.

Good for the league, by the way. Andrighetto is an attractive player and I also think there is a possibility he could return to the NHL someday.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Just reading the following news about Andrighetto. He is under contract in Omsk for next season, so if NL club wants him, the NL club has to pay Avangard a transfer fee. All sides discussing it as one possible option.

And Avangard has a good reputation with honouring the contracts by players. Last year, Kris Versteeg had a contract with Avangard but wanting to leave for HK Nitra when his brother played. But the Slovak club did not have money to pay to Avangard, so he ended up in Växjö Lakers who paid the fee (a part of the fee was reportedly paid by the player). Just weeks ago, D Kodie Curran having a valid deal with Avangard wanted to sign with Ducks. So, he had to buy-out his KHL contract.

So, this might happen to Andrighetto as well. The Q is just if the NL club is willing to pay. Guessing the fee is around €500,000 (just technical calculation based on his contract) but of course, they can agree on other terms.

And there are other options too.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
As far as I understand Avangard wants to get rid of him. He would have stayed if he could. So it's quite probable that they won't have to pay a transfer fee (or a much smaller one)

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It is obvious the club is not willing to terminate his contract on club´s initiative/mutual agreement. If Avangard wanted to do that, it would happen a month ago.

So, there is an option of a trade to another KHL club. But it is difficult to make. Multiple reasons.

So, they are considering other option, exactly the one I described. Definitely, the club will not agree to release him for free. It is a business.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
So, they are considering other option, exactly the one I described. Definitely, the club will not agree to release him for free. It is a business.

Yeah, it's a business, so they would probably be happy to get him from their payroll. I don't think they'll give him away for free but I think they'll be pretty happy to negoiate with another club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad