Switzerland: NLA 2013-2014

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Any prediction? Here are mine (written before the first games):

1. Zug
They already had a good offense, but their defense lacked skills, and they made a good job upgrading it with Ramholt, Lüthi and replacing Wozniewski with Hutchinson.

2. Bern
Pretty much the same team as last year, with Moser added. No reason they shouldn't be near the top.

3. Fribourg
Unlike Zug, they didn't really adress their shortcoming on defense, Helbling won't help much. Good job adding Monnet to an already stacked offense.

4. ZSC
Losing Ambühl and Monnet is tough, but their defense is just too good to put them any lower.

5. Lugano
Good job adding Fritsche, Walsky, Kparghai and Walker, but the real improvement would be to avoir all the injuries they had last year.

6. Geneva
Hollenstein replaces Fritsche, and some moves among depth players, but the overall quality of the team didn't change much. Like Lugano, the best improvement would be to avoir injuries.

7. Davos
Getting Ambühl back is nice, but they lost a lot of defensive depth with Ramholt, Joggi and Alatalo. And although the new imports look good, Mahra, Taticek and Sykora were so well integrated that replacing them introduces some question marks. Some key players like Von Arx or Rizzi aren't getting any younger.

8. Kloten
They lost Hollenstein, but managed to add some depth, and Mueller is an intriguing signing. Add the experience of Gerber, a coach who knows what he's doing and a lot of players who gained confidences at the World Championship and you get enough to make the playoffs.

9. Lausanne
Although I'm not convinced with some of their imports, players such as Froidevaux, Savary or Neuenschwander gives them a depth few newly promoted team were able to have.

10. Ambrì
Good job adding some defensive depth, and Steiner should be good for some offense, but that's not enough to get them back to the playoffs.

11. Biel
As if losing Berra wasn't enough, with Kparghai, Huguenin and Wellinger three key defensemen left. Signing leftovers from other NLA teams and NLB players won't cut it.

12. Rapperswil
Persson is a nice addition, but this team simply lacks quality.

Not very different from the predictions you can read everywhere, but I think that people tend to underrate Zug and Lausanne, and overrate Davos. Any though?

Last edited:

SCBdude

SC Bern 1931
Sep 20, 2012
Eisstadion Allmend
My pre-season rankings were:

1. Gotteron
2. Bern
3. Lugano
4. Zug
5. ZSC
6. Davos
7. Geneva
8. Ambri

9. Kloten
10. Rapperswil
11. Biel
12. Lausanne

Didn't like Fribourg in their first game, their offense did not look as good as last year but (unfortunately) they'll get better.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Any prediction? Here are mine (written before the first games):

1. Zug
They already had a good offense, but their defense lacked skills, and they made a good job upgrading it with Ramholt, Lüthi and replacing Wozniewski with Hutchinson.

2. Bern
Pretty much the same team as last year, with Moser added. No reason they shouldn't be near the top.

3. Fribourg
Unlike Zug, they didn't really adress their shortcoming on defense, Helbling won't help much. Good job adding Monnet to an already stacked offense.

4. ZSC
Losing Ambühl and Monnet is tough, but their defense is just too good to put them any lower.

5. Lugano
Good job adding Fritsche, Walsky, Kparghai and Walker, but the real improvement would be to avoir all the injuries they had last year.

6. Geneva
Hollenstein replaces Fritsche, and some moves among depth players, but the overall quality of the team didn't change much. Like Lugano, the best improvement would be to avoir injuries.

7. Davos
Getting Ambühl back is nice, but they lost a lot of defensive depth with Ramholt, Joggi and Alatalo. And although the new imports look good, Mahra, Taticek and Sykora were so well integrated that replacing them introduces some question marks. Some key players like Von Arx or Rizzi aren't getting any younger.

8. Kloten
They lost Hollenstein, but managed to add some depth, and Mueller is an intriguing signing. Add the experience of Gerber, a coach who knows what he's doing and a lot of players who gained confidences at the World Championship and you get enough to make the playoffs.

9. Lausanne
Although I'm not convinced with some of their imports, players such as Froidevaux, Savary or Neuenschwander gives them a depth few newly promoted team were able to have.

10. Ambrì
Good job adding some defensive depth, and Steiner should be good for some offense, but that's not enough to get them back to the playoffs.

11. Biel
As if losing Berra wasn't enough, with Kparghai, Huguenin and Wellinger three key defensemen left. Signing leftovers from other NLA teams and NLB players won't cut it.

12. Rapperswil

Not very different from the predictions you can read everywhere, but I think the people tend to underrate Zug and Lausanne, and overrate Davos. Any though?

Zug gets the recognition as an offensive juggernaut with discipline problems and are fairly rated as a top team in the NLA. Agree with you on Lausanne, I see it as a team that definitely could surprise quite a few teams and actually could become a borderline playoff team if everything pans out.
But I definitely NOT agree on your statement about Davos. They are pretty much the most hated franchise of the NLA (for whatever reason) and simply get way too much media coverage mainly due to their massive fanbase spread over Switzerland. It's probably the Toronto Maple Leafs effect :dunno:
But it's consensual that they will finish this season between #5 and #8, which is a fair rating for the current team. As you said, Rizzi and RvA are not getting any younger and there are a lot of question marks around the new foreigners. But they still have the offensive depth and a man between insanity and geniosity in AdC as their headcoach. They will be fine until AdC and RvA are gone. After that... :help:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Zug gets the recognition as an offensive juggernaut with discipline problems and are fairly rated as a top team in the NLA. Agree with you on Lausanne, I see it as a team that definitely could surprise quite a few teams and actually could become a borderline playoff team if everything pans out.

Most prediction I've seen have Zug way behind Bern, Fribourg and even ZSC, which I don't buy. They obviously had descipline problems last season, but getting rid of Helbling and Wozniewski should help in that regard.

But I definitely NOT agree on your statement about Davos. They are pretty much the most hated franchise of the NLA (for whatever reason) and simply get way too much media coverage mainly due to their massive fanbase spread over Switzerland. It's probably the Toronto Maple Leafs effect :dunno:
But it's consensual that they will finish this season between #5 and #8, which is a fair rating for the current team. As you said, Rizzi and RvA are not getting any younger and there are a lot of question marks around the new foreigners. But they still have the offensive depth and a man between insanity and geniosity in AdC as their headcoach. They will be fine until AdC and RvA are gone. After that... :help:

I don't know about the "Maple Leafs effect", living in Geneva I'm far away from the HCD hype machine, but I've seen some predictions with Davos at 3rd, which was the base of my overrating comment. If everyone had them between 5 and 8, I'd be fine with it.

And obviously, as long as AdC is there, they will be fine.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Most prediction I've seen have Zug way behind Bern, Fribourg and even ZSC, which I don't buy. They obviously had descipline problems last season, but getting rid of Helbling and Wozniewski should help in that regard.

It's not only the players. In my opinion, their discipline problems start behind the bench. There is nothing wrong with an emotional headcoach (Look no further than AdC or McSorley), but Shedden always seemed a little too hotheaded to me. That can lead to amazing results and "character wins", but it can happen that the team gets out of control.

I don't know about the "Maple Leafs effect", living in Geneva I'm far away from the HCD hype machine, but I've seen some predictions with Davos at 3rd, which was the base of my overrating comment. If everyone had them between 5 and 8, I'd be fine with it.

And obviously, as long as AdC is there, they will be fine.

It's pretty bad in the german speaking part of Switzerland. Not so much in the greater Bern area, but everywhere else, Davos gets nearly as much media coverage as the local teams and SRF seems to have some kind of a love affair with Davos. At least according to every other fanbase :sarcasm:

I guess many people also soured on Davos because of them making money of the Spengler Cup, while the other clubs are forced to have a break in the time around christmas and new year's eve, which would be a rather lucrative time otherwise.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
It's pretty bad in the german speaking part of Switzerland. Not so much in the greater Bern area, but everywhere else, Davos gets nearly as much media coverage as the local teams and SRF seems to have some kind of a love affair with Davos. At least according to every other fanbase :sarcasm:

I guess many people also soured on Davos because of them making money of the Spengler Cup, while the other clubs are forced to have a break in the time around christmas and new year's eve, which would be a rather lucrative time otherwise.

I'm aware of that, but for some reason the Davos fan base never extended into French speaking Switzerland. On the other hand, Bern, Lugano and Ambrì have always been pretty popular over here (as well as the local teams, of course).

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
I'm aware of that, but for some reason the Davos fan base never extended into French speaking Switzerland. On the other hand, Bern, Lugano and Ambrì have always been pretty popular over here (as well as the local teams, of course).

It doesn't really surprise me. Most of eastern Switzerland like St. Gallen or Thurgau and central Switzerland are somewhat in Davos' commuting area. And Zürich and Basel have many people from Graubünden that moved because of their jobs.

But there isn't anything I can think of that would draw any attention to Davos in the Romandie. SC Bern on the other hand is a club that is close to western Switzerland and has a drawing size that is nearly as big as HC Davos'. Ambri gets sympathy wherever they play, but I'm scratching my head a little regarding Lugano. Fans from their "Grande Lugano" times, perhaps?

Last edited:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
It doesn't really surprise me. Most of eastern Switzerland like St. Gallen or Thurgau and central Switzerland are somewhat in Davos' commuting area. And Zürich and Basel have many people from Graubünden that moved because of their jobs.

But there isn't anything I can think of that would draw any attention to Davos in the Romandie. SC Bern on the other hand is a club that is close to western Switzerland and has a drawing size that is nearly as big as HC Davos'. Ambri gets sympathy wherever they play, but I'm scratching my had a little regarding Lugano. Fans from their "Grande Lugano" times, perhaps?

Lugano and Bern got a lot of fans among people who started to follow hockey in the late 80's and early 90's, but for some reason, Kloten and Davos didn't earn any popularity during their periods of success, although Davos has a few fans over here.

jaco

Oct 21, 2011
As an interested observer I'm very intrigued by this Biel team (you may call it the Kane-effect). How come everybody always predicts them at the bottom and nevertheless they manage to get into PO - last year it took Fribourg a game 7 to kick'em out. Is it only Schlaepfer or are they sistematically underrated? They started off quite well again (SO win against Zurich and a narrow loss against Zug)

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
As an interested observer I'm very intrigued by this Biel team (you may call it the Kane-effect). How come everybody always predicts them at the bottom and nevertheless they manage to get into PO - last year it took Fribourg a game 7 to kick'em out. Is it only Schlaepfer or are they sistematically underrated? They started off quite well again (SO win against Zurich and a narrow loss against Zug)

One name: Berra

It wasn't only him, but he was the biggest reason they even could compete with the rest of the league for long stretches.
And yes, Schlaepfer is a very good coach.

Reznor

Feb 20, 2013
Fribourg

They are always predicted at the bottom and this prediction was only wrong once. They have lost many assets including Berra who saved their ***** on a regular basis last year and three of their best defensemen and didn't really replace them with any proven player. So if they barely made the playoffs last year, they shouldn't be able to pass the cut this time.

Didn't like Fribourg in their first game, their offense did not look as good as last year but (unfortunately) they'll get better.

Offense was dull, defense made a lot of mistakes. Bykov, Monnet, Sprunger, etc have trouble to find their rythm but that should come. I'm quite pleased with the addition of Huguenin in defense who showed good things against Lausanne. I have rarely seen a player as slow as Helbling and for the moment I'm not really convinced by Miettinen but again it could take some time for him to adapt.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Hello guys.

Fabian Suter, from Zug, is leading in points league wide. 6 in 3 games. (it s a bit early to speak now ... obviously.)

In other words he scored in 3 games, 1/3 he scored in 50 games last year.
Or his carreer average is 0.5 pts/game, now he is at 2 pts/game.

Is it luck ? circumstances ? increased skills ? good line mates ?
all together ?

Do you consider it sustainable ?
tks

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Hello guys.

Fabian Suter, from Zug, is leading in points league wide. 6 in 3 games. (it s a bit early to speak now ... obviously.)

In other words he scored in 3 games, 1/3 he scored in 50 games last year.
Or his carreer average is 0.5 pts/game, now he is at 2 pts/game.

Is it luck ? circumstances ? increased skills ? good line mates ?
all together ?

Do you consider it sustainable ?
tks

A 2ppg pace of Fabian Sutter?

Ha_Ha_Ha.jpg

I'd say it's a mix of linemates, small sample size, him being in good shape and the EVZ having a decent start. Emphasis on small sample size.

Just as Santala won't be able to keep his pace of 1.33 gpg up. And we won't have 20+ players that will keep scoring at a ppg+ pace.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Is there any video of the incident that happened last week with Geneve and Fribourg? I can't find any aside from one site but it won't allow me to watch it cause I'm in Canada

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
My 2 cents to the season so far:

- Holy **** Davos, what are you guys eating for breakfast? Because that's definitely NOT what I've been expecting from you.
- A high scoring season so far with a lot of SOG. Many goalies are above 92% saves.
- Cody Almond keeps being impressive.
- Paulsson with 9 goals in 9 games. lolwut?
- :eek::eek::eek::eek:i looks like the far and away best player of the league at stretches.
- Bezina is PPG as a defenseman
- Samuel Walser made some HUGE steps forward offensively. Develops into a great 2-way center imo
- Peter Guggisberg seems like he has found his groove again. Is dangerous almost every shift
- Disappointed by Fribourg and Zug.

I know, it's only 9 games in. But I like what I see from many young swiss players in the league and the league in general. It's a very fun season to watch so far :handclap:

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
A 2ppg pace of Fabian Sutter?

I'd say it's a mix of linemates, small sample size, him being in good shape and the EVZ having a decent start. Emphasis on small sample size.

Just as Santala won't be able to keep his pace of 1.33 gpg up. And we won't have 20+ players that will keep scoring at a ppg+ pace.

well, you were very right ! he scored is first four points in his first game ! and two in his second.

since he brought the average down to 1ppg. actually cruising at a 3pts in 7 games. slightly below 0.5 ppg !

sad :shakehead
but ... we'll survive.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Halfway through the regular season, time to have a look back at my predictions (and probably look like a fool :D).

1. Zug

Not a good start as far as my predictions are concerned. Seems like TheNeutrality was right and Zug's problem starts with the madman they have behind the bench.

2. Bern

Obviously wrong, but I don't think anyone saw that one coming. No idea what went wrong with this team.

3. Fribourg

Pretty much spot on, they are up in the standings but allow too many goals.

4. ZSC

The way :eek::eek::eek::eek:i, Wick and Nilsson are playing makes the lose of Monnet and Ambühl irrelevant. A bit better than I expected.

5. Lugano

They failed the injuries part, but with some good roster moves they should be able to finish around the middle of the standings.

6. Geneva

Pretty much spot on, despite Romy and Hollenstein's slow start.

7. Davos

I was right about Von Arx and Rizzi not contributing as much as in the past, and wrong about everything else. The new imports do a great job, and Del Curto once again found the right players for the right spots.

8. Kloten

The analysis was correct, but the result way better than I expected.

9. Lausanne

Another correct analysis. Although with Bern and Zug chasing them, they'll have a hard time staying in a playoff position, they already did better than many expected.

10. Ambrì

Another one that nobody saw coming. I don't think their goalies will be able to keep up with their early season form, and I can't see the Reichert-Miéville-Steiner line score at the same pace during the whole season, but Park and Giroux should be able to keep them in a playoff spot.

11. Biel

Better goaltending than I expected, and Spylo has been amazing. They're still in the hunt, but it will be difficult.

12. Rapperswil

Not much to say. They are on pace for 40 points, which has always meant last place since the current point system was adopted.

Arlus

Apr 3, 2014
Europe
Does Visp has any chance against Biel? I know that they weren't the favs against Tigers, but they really can push for a place in NLA?

WeberStreit

Jan 31, 2008
They shouldn't. But the pressure in those games might be higher than in any playoff game. At least for the NLA team (Biel). Visp has nothing to lose. But the NLA teams just have too much depth.
I'd say Biel in 5.

On the other hand, if stv11 comes out and predicts a win for Biel, the chances for Visp should be really good. :sarcasm:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
They shouldn't. But the pressure in those games might be higher than in any playoff game. At least for the NLA team (Biel). Visp has nothing to lose. But the NLA teams just have too much depth.
I'd say Biel in 5.

On the other hand, if stv11 comes out and predicts a win for Biel, the chances for Visp should be really good. :sarcasm:

Hey, I got more than half the teams right! :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->