Proposal: NJD - Tor

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Good for Devils, but not sure it makes sense for the Leafs. Wood is probably too expensive for them.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Good for Devils, but not sure it makes sense for the Leafs. Wood is probably too expensive for them.

Typically, I would agree. There may need to be a slight retaining on him (In a previous version of a similar trade, I was willing to retain 500K to get Bracco just to have him as a top level AHLer to help keep Bing good), but he's also cheaper than Johnsson, and if they believe that Johnsson's production and skill set is easier to replace in house on an ELC, I could see why they would do it.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Leafs need cap relief and the devils could use a good LW and LD.
To
New Jersey
Dermott
Johnson

Toronto
Wood
2021 2nd

Leafs shed cap and get a decent player and pick. Devils get a good LD and LW to add to their roster.
I assume you mean the Islanders’ 2021 2nd because the Devils don’t have their 2nd. NJ could definitely use Dermott but is getting rid of him something the Leafs need to do for cap space? I guess it depends on how big a raise he’s getting, I assumed he would still be pretty cheap but maybe not cheap enough for the Leafs. It looks pretty good from the Devils’ end.

Reactions: Hockey 4 Life

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I assume you mean the Islanders’ 2021 2nd because the Devils don’t have their 2nd. NJ could definitely use Dermott but is getting rid of him something the Leafs need to do for cap space? I guess it depends on how big a raise he’s getting, I assumed he would still be pretty cheap but maybe not cheap enough for the Leafs. It looks pretty good from the Devils’ end.
I'd love to keep dermott but with sandin and liljegren possibly making the jump the leafs have to sacrifice some good players to the cap if they want to add 1 or 2 rhd.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Dermott would be available due to depth, not cap

As of now our depth on LD is

Rielly
Muzzin
Dermott
Lehtonen
Sandin

We could afford to lose Dermott as we have more than capable LHDs to fill his void.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Dermott would be available due to depth, not cap

As of now our depth on LD is

Rielly
Muzzin
Dermott
Lehtonen
Sandin

We could afford to lose Dermott as we have more than capable LHDs to fill his void.
Not trying to talk you out of it, stick a shipping label on Dermott and send him to Newark. I’d show you our “depth” on LD but mortals burst into flames at the mere sight of it.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
no from the leafs. its great for the devils but why are the leafs dumping johnsson to get a lesser player in wood and only 650k savings?

and then dermott for a 2nd? meh rather bridge him and see if he can jump into the top 4

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

this is correct. Leafs need to spend less on line 3 to improve the D and this doesnt really do that

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Dermott was way too solid this season to give up for a 2nd. Hes the 2nd best defensive dman on the team and is gonna have a cheap contract to boot. We need a rhd version of him or muzzin tbh.

Reactions: dubplatepressure

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
no from the leafs. its great for the devils but why are the leafs dumping johnsson to get a lesser player in wood and only 650k savings?

and then dermott for a 2nd? meh rather bridge him and see if he can jump into the top 4

this is correct. Leafs need to spend less on line 3 to improve the D and this doesnt really do that

Devils can retain on Wood, but if you're not a fan of his game, you probably still won't like the deal much. He was pretty good a couple years ago but has been more inconsistent since.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I personally think Leafs could get a 2nd for Johnsson and leave it at that.

Would be beyond stupid to trade Dermott. Defenseman take time to develop

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Keep it simpler, just Wood for Johnsson, if Leafs pushing out Cap Hit
No incentive for Leafs to push Dermott so soon, he isnt getting overpaid soon

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Leafs need cap relief and the devils could use a good LW and LD.
To
New Jersey
Dermott
Johnson

Toronto
Wood
2021 2nd

Leafs shed cap and get a decent player and pick. Devils get a good LD and LW to add to their roster.
Devils should totally do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->