Confirmed Trade: [NJD/TOR] Andreas Johnsson for Joey Anderson

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
This deal doesn't bode well for Tyler Johnson.

This is a 25-year old guy, who was a 20-20 scorer making $3.4m for three more years. He was essentially given away.

Meanwhile Johnson is 30, making $5m for four more years and has been a 20-20 guy at best for years while showing obvious signs of decline.

If you had a choice between the two, who would you take? And knowing that Johnsson had very little value, how much is it going to cost to move TJ?
If covid never happened and the cap went up, I could see a team rolling the dice on T.Johnson. Now? No way. A.Johnsson is cheaper and in his prime. You know the market sucks when this is the best the Leafs could do. Johnsson was never going to get a great return, but a 2nd rounder plus maybe a 4th or 5th seemed fair.

Reactions: TopCheese

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
come again now?

He was legitimately a good player in 18-19. In 19-20 he was either injured or not contributing in any real way when healthy. I think it is a pretty good gamble to make that he will bounce back to the 2nd line player he was 2 years ago and not the guy who was totally invisible on the 3rd line last year.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
This deal doesn't bode well for Tyler Johnson.

This is a 25-year old guy, who was a 20-20 scorer making $3.4m for three more years. He was essentially given away.

Meanwhile Johnson is 30, making $5m for four more years and has been a 20-20 guy at best for years while showing obvious signs of decline.

If you had a choice between the two, who would you take? And knowing that Johnsson had very little value, how much is it going to cost to move TJ?

To think, I'm pretty sure I remember a thread or two saying Johnson would be better than Stamkos after his 70 point season.

Johnson could still be good, just the cap climate is sort of screwing his chances of a comeback. Can still see Ottawa grabbing him right before the season starts.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
To think, I'm pretty sure I remember a thread or two saying Johnson would be better than Stamkos after his 70 point season.

Johnson could still be good, just the cap climate is sort of screwing his chances of a comeback. Can still see Ottawa grabbing him right before the season starts.
People are suggesting this but while TJ’s salary is 3.75m this season it spikes up to 5.5m next season which has to be no bueno for Ottawa. (It’s 3.75m and 4.75m in the last two years.)

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
AJ is a good player, he'll thrive in NJD where he's givien good top 6 opportunity. Wouldn't be surprised if he turned into a 50-55 pt winger if used as a top 6 player.

He just was never the one that was the scorer on his line. He needs a playmaker.

NJD just basically got a middle 6 winger for free because of cap issues, good for them

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
just remember how disgraceful Jersey is. Enjoy be a bottom feeder again.
you might be surprised, but there's not a single devils fan in the world, who would trade the past fifty years with a maple leaf fans. regarding bang for buck tml was probably worse than any other nhl team for the last 50 years. so i don't think you are operating from a position of strength.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
you might be surprised, but there's not a single devils fan in the world, who would trade the past fifty years with a maple leaf fans. regarding bang for buck tml was probably worse than any other nhl team for the last 50 years. so i don't think you are operating from a position of strength.

Don’t let them wind you up, they’re just trying to goad you into being negative enough that others attack you for your responses.

Pretty much everyone is happy with what the trade brings to both teams.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Don’t let them wind you up, they’re just trying to goad you into being negative enough that others attack you for your responses.

Pretty much everyone is happy with what the trade brings to both teams.
it's funny that a reasonable poster (not you) sides with a bandwagon fan (not at all you).

i have seen multiple trade proposals, where leaf fans were defending/praising johnsson as a top 6 winger with unrealized potential. once traded the bandwagon fans readily throw him under the bus. i am not too familiar with johnsson and his injury definitely is a reason for concern. on the other hand even if anderson blossoms into a much better player in toronto (i really pull for him), he unlikely would have achieved it with the devils. opportunities and situation are unique in every organization and can hugely impact player developments. anderson has way more development to do than johnsson. so i am not concerned about the trade and hope johnsson stays healthy and can help the measly scoring depth of the devils.

Reactions: Impaulator

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
it's funny that a reasonable poster (not you) sides with a bandwagon fan (not at all you).

i have seen multiple trade proposals, where leaf fans were defending/praising johnsson as a top 6 winger with unrealized potential. once traded the bandwagon fans readily throw him under the bus. i am not too familiar with johnsson and his injury definitely is a reason for concern. on the other hand even if anderson blossoms into a much better player in toronto (i really pull for him), he unlikely would have achieved it with the devils. opportunities and situation are unique in every organization and can hugely impact player developments. anderson has way more development to do than johnsson. so i am not concerned about the trade and hope johnsson stays healthy and can help the measly scoring depth of the devils.

Johnsson has potential to be a good top 6 winger, but I think last season soured some Leaf fans on him slightly. He didn’t really perform well in the top 6 and didn’t dominate the bottom 6th.

He’s still a good player, who I’m sad to see go because of a flat cap however, I’m not as sad as I would have been last season though.

I still think you’re getting a hell of a player who will be able to contribute right away.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Dubas making great moves this summer.

I've bashed him a lot lately, now he looks like a value vs. cap master.

Getting rid of Johnsson and Kapanen saved the space to get Brodie.

Brodie + Vesey-bargain + Robertson >>> Johnsson + Kapanen

Also Simmonds for bargain is a good deal, so is Boyd as role player and getting Mikko Lehtonen dirt cheap is another one.

GOOD WORK at TORONTO!

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
just remember how disgraceful Jersey is. Enjoy be a bottom feeder again.
I don’t mind being a bottom feeder. I am actually enjoy the draft part of it. I kind of got sick of being a 100 Point team cup contender for over 20 years. The devils have been successful outside of a six team league

Reactions: uncleben

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This is amazing. Three weeks ago Johnnson was "trash", had "negative value". It says so many times - right here:

Proposal: - MIN-TOR Marcus Foligno for Andreas Johnsson

Today Johnsson is a pretty good player. How did he improve so much in such a short time?

that logo change just does wonders for a player's ability

Kessel

-Loses poll to Hossa as Leaf
-Kessel traded to Penguins
-Wins poll against Hossa

Seems like a market inefficiency Dubas should be exploiting.

Reactions: Dustin

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
come again now?

Sorry but if you think that's what you're getting prepared to be disappointed. You will be getting nothing anywhere near "1st line scoring output" out of Johnsson on New Jersey because he had nobody to play with. Johnsson is a piggy-backer.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
It was determined that what killed the leafs this year in the playoffs was lack of depth. If the top line wasn’t going, no one was scoring.
I don’t see how they improved that this year - if anything it’s worse. No Kapanen, Johnsson...I can see Robertson contributing but how much can you expect out of a rookie who won’t be getting top line minutes.... I just dont see how the bottom 2 lines can be expected to produce anything. KERFOOT, SIMMONDS, ENGVALL, VESEY, BOYD, SPEZZA, ANDERSON, BARABANOV is a terrible bottom 6. I guess if Mikehev plays in the top 6, ROBERTSON would play in the bottom 6 which would help but he’d be playing with KERFOOT and SIMMONDS....not great. And then a 4th line of VESEY, ENGVALL, Spezza??? Maybe 40 goals from the bottom 6 all year

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Sorry but if you think that's what you're getting prepared to be disappointed. You will be getting nothing anywhere near "1st line scoring output" out of Johnsson on New Jersey because he had nobody to play with. Johnsson is a piggy-backer.

we don't need him to be a 1st liner

if he can put up ~40 points on a middle 6 wing, that is more than adequate...especially considering what we gave up.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

if he can put up ~40 points on a middle 6 wing, that is more than adequate...especially considering what we gave up.

You'll get that out of him for sure. Who's the best goal scorer he can play with?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
It was determined that what killed the leafs this year in the playoffs was lack of depth. If the top line wasn’t going, no one was scoring.
I don’t see how they improved that this year - if anything it’s worse. No Kapanen, Johnsson...I can see Robertson contributing but how much can you expect out of a rookie who won’t be getting top line minutes.... I just dont see how the bottom 2 lines can be expected to produce anything. KERFOOT, SIMMONDS, ENGVALL, VESEY, BOYD, SPEZZA, ANDERSON, BARABANOV is a terrible bottom 6. I guess if Mikehev plays in the top 6, ROBERTSON would play in the bottom 6 which would help but he’d be playing with KERFOOT and SIMMONDS....not great. And then a 4th line of VESEY, ENGVALL, Spezza??? Maybe 40 goals from the bottom 6 all year

They scored the second most goals in the NHL last year. Tampa was the only team better. Redistributing some of their cap allocation/talent from offense to defense seems like a fine idea.

A bigger problem than scoring was that both their 3rd and 4th lines were bad defensively. They couldn't trust either of them on the ice in tough situations. Most contenders have a bottom 6 line they like defensively against good players, Leafs are trying to develop that someway with their forward additions. Guys like Joey Anderson and Vesey aren't sexy additions, but they give them some different elements missing from the more skill focused bottom 6 they ran most of last year.

Reactions: Guttersniped

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

if you give him 60% OZS and you feed him over 2min of PP time per night, you’ll probably get 40 out him.

hell, feed Anderson that kind of usage and you might get close to 40pts on a cheaper, 3 yrs younger player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad