Confirmed Trade: [NJD/TOR] Andreas Johnsson for Joey Anderson

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Devil's fans will like Johnsson. He's undercover good. Injuries make people forget how good he was. Not going to blow the doors off, but he'll get his numbers.

Points dont come easy to Johnsson, hell need help from a solid playmaker. He isnt the most creative offensively and his shot, while solid, takes forever to get off. Most of his offence are greasy pounce at the rebound goals, but also isnt big enough to play that role on a PP.

With PP time and top 6 ES minutes he can be a 20 goal 40-50 point player, but dont expect him to get that without help or him to drive a line.

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
This is the same logic that led a sizeable number of Leafs fans to prefer Frattin over Kadri in his early days.

Yeah, who wants an elite offensive talent on the ice down a goal when you can have a complementary 3rd liner. Checks out.
Never said I would rather have johnsson on instead of nylander, just that a player making 7 mil should be one you can count on when down a goal in a game 7. Nylander should be traded for that guy

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
This deal doesn't bode well for Tyler Johnson.

This is a 25-year old guy, who was a 20-20 scorer making $3.4m for three more years. He was essentially given away.

Meanwhile Johnson is 30, making $5m for four more years and has been a 20-20 guy at best for years while showing obvious signs of decline.

If you had a choice between the two, who would you take? And knowing that Johnsson had very little value, how much is it going to cost to move TJ?

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Points dont come easy to Johnsson, hell need help from a solid playmaker. He isnt the most creative offensively and his shot, while solid, takes forever to get off. Most of his offence are greasy pounce at the rebound goals, but also isnt big enough to play that role on a PP.

With PP time and top 6 ES minutes he can be a 20 goal 40-50 point player, but dont expect him to get that without help or him to drive a line.

If he's willing to get gritty and do some dirty work for some goals, then he's probably going on Jack's line. I know Johnsson isn't big, but Jack could use a guy with some skill who can also do some grease work

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
This deal doesn't bode well for Tyler Johnson.

This is a 25-year old guy, who was a 20-20 scorer making $3.4m for three more years. He was essentially given away.

Meanwhile Johnson is 30, making $5m for four more years and has been a 20-20 guy at best for years while showing obvious signs of decline.

If you had a choice between the two, who would you take? And knowing that Johnsson had very little value, how much is it going to cost to move TJ?

T.Johnson is owed around 20mil as well, A.Johnsson is only due around 2.5 a year or so because most of his bonuses have already been paid out.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
T.Johnson is owed around 20mil as well, A.Johnsson is only due around 2.5 a year or so because most of his bonuses have already been paid out.

Great point. That's a huge difference as well, though I do think TJ is only owed around $17.5m.

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
I might be the only devils fan not happy about losing Anderson. I think its because he actually shown me some promise when he got called up. 4 goals and 2 assists in 18 games played is actually pretty decent. I think given the proper line mates he will put up more points then people think.

Reactions: teddygmr

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
This is actually a perfect trade for both teams.

New Jersey gets scoring depth, a complementary winger to play with Hughes/Hischier. Johnsson costs only 2.5 mil in real dollars. His cap doesn't matter in New Jersey. He has played with star centers before (Matthews/Tavares) and has the hockey IQ to complement them well.

Toronto gets a good prospect who can turn into a hard-working 3rd line feisty winger who plays good defence. They need players like this more than Johnsson (just look at the way they draft in the past 2 years), and his cap will likely be less than 1 mil. Johnsson's cap at 3.4 mil is an inflated value and his role is redundant with Nick Robertson ready to join the big club.

Given the 4-year horizon for the Leafs (limited by Matthews' contract), getting a near NHL ready prospect, a former 3rd rounder who has progressed well, definitely makes more sense than a 2nd round draft pick, which was widely believe to be the price for Johnsson by most (esp when next year's draft is considered weak).

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Bitter fan is bitter!

Johnsson will do just fine for NJ - just remember, Toronto and Jersey played the same amount of playoff games this year

just remember how disgraceful Jersey is. Enjoy be a bottom feeder again.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Johnsson never really did a whole lot on the ice. Obviously a lopsided trade but that's what the market is for now in order to gain valuable cap room. He's a skilled player but not necessary for the Leafs right now, glad they chose to get his contract off the books for some more important pieces.

Brodie, Simmonds, Amirov, Hallander, Anderson, Bogosian, etc. > Kapanen, Johnsson.
Written with :crossfing

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Johnsson was expendable. Little chance he would have cut it on the top 6. Leafs looking for some grittiness on bottom 6 and Johnsson aint that. That being said, NJ got the better skilled player but the leafs had little choice. Leafs needed a grittier 3rd or 4th liner who is more of a connor brown type
Connor, Connor, where are you ?

Who traded you ?

We miss you !

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
A few thoughts for those scratching their head (stop) or thinking Dubas made a bad move:

- Johnsson's role in the top 9 was redundant with Robertson coming up
- Leafs had to clear cap space to plug two major holes on the blue line
- As we've seen already it's a buyer's market. Just ask Tampa Bay.
- Every team has access to Cap Friendly. Therefore they all knew yesterday that Toronto *had* to move salary. I'm confident Dubas took the best offer available.
- JR got absolutely fleeced by Dubas, so if you can't accept the Johnsson deal as anything but bad, just think of it in terms of the sum of off-season moves for this team and it's clear Kyle did a pretty good job.
JR was ?

If Dubas had to move money, it was because of the contracts he gave to AJ, Kapanen, Kerfoot.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Jersey is getting a fourty point depth guy and the leafs get cap space. It is what it is.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
again - echoing my own comments and many others. This was a perfectly good deal - giving the circumstances of each team.

Slight upgrade for NJ, Toronto reduces cap and gets a guy that can be an eventual top 9 guy in the future, when the cap is different. Toronto bought time, and reduced cap. NJ gets an NHL ready player that can play in the top 9, while they figure out their prospects potential. And as a decent cap hit for us.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Thank you sir for your noble authorization.

I feel better now.

And I'm happy that I don't have to pay to share my speculations...
You neither received nor needed my authorization. You give me too much credit. I am just a poster like everyone else here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad