Proposal: Njd-tbl

SchneidsAndHynes35

Feb 24, 2013
Vladislav Namestnikov and Valtteri Filppula for Ryan Kujawinski

Edit: Vladislav Namestnikov and Valtteri Filppula for Ryan Kujawinski and a 3rd rounder

From hockey's future on Ryan Kujawinski

Talent Analysis
Kujawinski is a big centre who showed in junior he can take over games. While he plays a physical style, he is a dynamic skater with a pretty good shot and someone who can win a key face-off. He is very difficult to stop when he is on his game, but sometimes struggles to string together good shifts. Yet in his final season of junior hockey, he was a consistent threat to score on most night. He needs to continue to work on his foot speed as he enters the pros.

Future
Kujawinski is skating for Devils' AHL affiliate Albany in 2015-16. Like many 20-year-olds in their first season of pro hockey, he is playing in primarily a lower line role, steadily adjusting to the faster, more competitive game at that level. Long-term he is not expected to be a big scorer at the NHL level but projects as a solid two-way player who can use his size to advantage in tight spaces.
Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/ryan-kujawinski/#LIwK7ZMmxGDlU44h.99

Last edited:

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Needs more from New Jersey. Maybe a 2nd round pick? or a 2nd and a 3rd?

I'm not sure how important shedding Filppula's contract is for Tampa.

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Little info on Ryan? I'm not sure we would do it because Namestnikov is a cheap young version of Filppula.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Little info on Ryan? I'm not sure we would do it because Namestnikov is a cheap young version of Filppula.

He's a center. Performed well in the AHL this past season. He could end up being a pretty decent bottom 6 centerman. He probably won't be a top six forward. As if Tampa needs any more top 6 forwards lol.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Not nearly enough from NJ. Filpula's contract isn't one of these that is so bad they need to give up an asset like Namestnikov to get rid of it.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Does Tampa really want to get rid of Callahan's contract?

What would New Jersey have to give to Tampa for Namestnikov + Callahan @1mil retained?

Maybe a 2nd? Namestnikov was a low first round pick. I think that would be a fair deal. Callahan is still a good player.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
What about the OP

It's terrible. We trade 2 top 9 forwards and get back an AHLer. It would be great to move Filppula but not at the expense of his replacement, we'd need a new 3C in this deal so our cap savings will be diminished by having to sign one in free agency.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Kujawinski and a second. Filppula isn't worth negative if you're a team with salary and have a glaring need for centers. The only reason Tampa finds themselves in need to get rid of him, is simply because guys like Kucherov and Drouin have emerged as extremely important pieces that are going to cost a lot.

Doubtful NJ has anybody like them that they'll need to offer a lot of money any time soon.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
Filpulla isnt a cap dump/have negative value, doubt Nemestnikov leaves this year if at all he's still a cheap option and has lots of skill. NJ adds a good amount

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Shero is being very, very, very careful with our cap. You'd have to offer a lot more than that to get us to take Callahan.

Don't blame you. That was one of Yzermans boo boos. He didn't have many of them but him and Carle were definitely poor signings. Not because they were bad signings when they happened because we needed Carle at the time and Callahan was part of the marty trade. They wanted to keep him around. Callahan is a good player that contract just sucks. We still have him for a while. I think the hope is that he retires before it gets really bad. Which isn't impossible. He's getting hip surgery and he plays a sandpaper game and he's not a big guy. I love the guy but hate that contract.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Don't blame you. That was one of Yzermans boo boos. He didn't have many of them but him and Carle were definitely poor signings. Not because they were bad signings when they happened because we needed Carle at the time and Callahan was part of the marty trade. They wanted to keep him around. Callahan is a good player that contract just sucks. We still have him for a while. I think the hope is that he retires before it gets really bad. Which isn't impossible. He's getting hip surgery and he plays a sandpaper game and he's not a big guy. I love the guy but hate that contract.

Ugh, that's a poor bet in hoping he retires. That cap hit is going to eat us alive if he doesn't play. Should be hoping he regains his form from a year ago, which could easily be the case.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Ugh, that's a poor bet in hoping he retires. That cap hit is going to eat us alive if he doesn't play. Should be hoping he regains his form from a year ago, which could easily be the case.

I hope he does. I'm worried about that hip and his style of play.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I would certainly consider Callahan from an NJ perspective, but not until we see how Bennett, Lappin, and DSP shape out next year. More specifically, the latter two as they would be interchangeable with the role Callahan would play. I don't think it would happen until after this upcoming season though, both so the Devils can evaluate those three guys and the Lightning can make one last run.

If DSP shows he isn't much better than a below-average third line RW next year, I would be in on acquiring Callahan. Devils could comfortably absorb that as we don't really have any players that would need raises until his contract is up. We also don't have any RWs who would realistically challenge for a spot until later in his contract either, Bastian/Speers are a few years away still. It's a bit of a risk and I would likely only take it if we are getting Namestnikov in return. I would look at something like this:

Namestnikov + Callahan @ 800k retention for Devante Smith-Pelley + Florida 2018 2nd

I think that's pretty fair for taking Callahan for 3 years at 5 million. Killorn effectively replaces him now, in my opinion. Worst case scenario -- or really best case scenario -- if our prospects mightily impress like what happened with Tampa, we could buy out Callahan's last year.

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
No way TB would do that, not even close.

I'd like Shero to make an offer to Steve for Namestnikov but we'd have to absorb a cap dump

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad