Speculation: NJD Offseason Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilsJunkie

Jul 28, 2009
Biggest Little City
It would appear as if GCL and I are of like mind on the subject of Stammer. Stamkos signing with the Devils would be an immense shot in the arm for this franchise. I'm not sure what people's definition of "playmaker" is, but I am confident that adding Stamkos to the Devils forward corps would have positive repercussions throughout the lineup. His presence would improve the team -- now and in the future as long as he is healthy enough to play on a somewhat regular basis.

Then there are the off-ice benefits of having him on the team.

Group Chat Legend*

It would appear as if GCL and I are of like mind on the subject of Stammer. Stamkos signing with the Devils would be an immense shot in the arm for this franchise. I'm not sure what people's definition of "playmaker" is, but I am confident that adding Stamkos to the Devils forward corps would have positive repercussions throughout the lineup. His presence would improve the team -- now and in the future as long as he is healthy enough to play on a somewhat regular basis.

Then there are the off-ice benefits of having him on the team.

All people see is a 1-1.5M difference between what they value him and what we would need to give him, and ignores that that 1-1.5M is bringing in a LOT more than just the cap space lost.

If Stamkos is willing to come here, and you don't offer him what he wants, why would any other FA ever want to come here?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
All people see is a 1-1.5M difference between what they value him and what we would need to give him, and ignores that that 1-1.5M is bringing in a LOT more than just the cap space lost.

If Stamkos is willing to come here, and you don't offer him what he wants, why would any other FA ever want to come here?

Because he isn't this slam dunk. It seems you are caught up on what he was. There is a lot of evidence he isn't that player anymore. Whether it is the lack of MSL, injuries, just old fashioned regression, or a combination of it I don't know for sure.

It isn't just $1.5 million. It is giving him 9-10 million for 7 years for someone who at best might just be a 60 point player, and might be even worse half way through the contract. I don't care how much cap space you have. You don't put that much of an overpayment on your books.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Because he isn't this slam dunk. It seems you are caught up on what he was. There is a lot of evidence he isn't that player anymore. Whether it is the lack of MSL, injuries, just old fashioned regression, or a combination of it I don't know for sure.

It isn't just $1.5 million. It is giving him 9-10 million for 7 years for someone who at best might just be a 60 point player, and might be even worse half way through the contract. I don't care how much cap space you have. You don't put that much of an overpayment on your books.

I don't agree that Stamkos is on this steep decline. He's had a couple of years below his standards, but he was playing wing for most of them. When they moved him back to center his production picked back up.

He's also 26. Not many players fall off a cliff at that age, and certainly not superstars. In my mind this is a buy low opportunity. If he wasn't going through a rough patch maybe he's not even available. Players like him don't come around very often, and with our lack of high end offensive players I think it's a risk worth taking.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

It's also a lot more than 1.5 million in cap space. People act like we have unlimited cap space but if you sign Stamkos and a Palmieri extension poof there goes 2/3 of our seemingly limitless cap space. Just over a year ago at this time the New York Jets had cap space to burn now poof it's gone and then some.

And as for the latter that's a tad melodramatic. If we don't overpay Stamkos this year then next year we offer Jamie Benn the biggest deal you really think he's not taking it cause we didn't overpay Stamkos? FA's decide where to go based on money/term, winning and location - three things that have nothing to do with what we offer OTHER FA's a year previous.

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
It's also a lot more than 1.5 million in cap space. People act like we have unlimited cap space but if you sign Stamkos and a Palmieri extension poof there goes 2/3 of our seemingly limitless cap space. Just over a year ago at this time the New York Jets had cap space to burn now poof it's gone and then some.

And as for the latter that's a tad melodramatic. If we don't overpay Stamkos this year then next year we offer Jamie Benn the biggest deal you really think he's not taking it cause we didn't overpay Stamkos? FA's decide where to go based on money/term, winning and location - three things that have nothing to do with what we offer OTHER FA's a year previous.

A little bit of an exaggeration here. I imagine Palmieri gets signed for 4-6, probably closer to 4. So assuming Stammer at 10, that's 15~. We have over 30 million available. So half.

We wouldn't have endless wiggle room anymore, but we'd be comfortably in the playoffs.

And I seriously doubt Jamie Benn makes it to free agency.

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
A little bit of an exaggeration here. I imagine Palmieri gets signed for 4-6, probably closer to 4. So assuming Stammer at 10, that's 15~. We have over 30 million available. So half.

We wouldn't have endless wiggle room anymore, but we'd be comfortably in the playoffs.

The Devils only have 12 players under contract next year. Adding those 2 makes it 14. You need 9 more for a full roster - I imagine what Devs26 is doing is taking those players into account.

Also Kyle Palmieri isn't signing for $4M unless it's a one-year deal.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Stamkos alone doesn't get us in the playoffs.

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Stamkos alone doesn't get us in the playoffs.

He's the missing piece. We have Larsson, who I'm confident is a #1 Dman. We have Schneider, we have prospects chomping at the bit to make the NHL. We're going to add another top pick this year.

We need a #1 Center.

Cammalleri-Stamkos-DSP
Rico-Zajac-Palmieri
Quenneville-Zacha-Lappin
Kalinin-Josefson-Pietila

Greene-Larsson
Schlemko-Severson
Moore-Santini

Schneider
Kinkaid

Some holes, but it looks pretty solid to me.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'd also like to point out that Stamkos "on the decline" scored the second most goals of any player in 2014-15, and likely would have finished top 5 this year if he hadn't missed the last few games. Other than Ovechkin, nobody is scoring 50 goals anymore. Only a handful (or less) of players are even hitting 40 in recent years.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Devils only have 12 players under contract next year. Adding those 2 makes it 14. You need 9 more for a full roster - I imagine what Devs26 is doing is taking those players into account.

Also Kyle Palmieri isn't signing for $4M unless it's a one-year deal.

Correct...they have about $40 million committed for players next year so people think it's $30 million of cap space but they only have four forwards currently under contract (well six if you count Wood and Blandisi, neither of whom are a sure thing to start the season on the roster) and still need to either re-sign or replace Schlemko too. Stamkos/Palmieri on a long-term deal minimum's about $15 million dollars just for the two of them but they still need bare minimum another $7-10 million to fill out the rest of the roster.

UFA forwards - Elias, Ruutu, Gionta, Tootoo, Tlusty, Kennedy, Farnham
RFA forwards - Palmieri, Kalinin, Josefson, DSP, Boucher
Defensemen FA - Schlemko (UFA), Warsovsky (UFA), Merrill (RFA)

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Correct...they have about $40 million committed for players next year so people think it's $30 million of cap space but they only have four forwards currently under contract (well six if you count Wood and Blandisi, neither of whom are a sure thing to start the season on the roster) and still need to either re-sign or replace Schlemko too. Stamkos/Palmieri on a long-term deal minimum's about $15 million dollars just for the two of them but they still need bare minimum another $7-10 million to fill out the rest of the roster.

UFA forwards - Elias, Ruutu, Gionta, Tootoo, Tlusty, Kennedy, Farnham
RFA forwards - Palmieri, Kalinin, Josefson, DSP, Boucher
Defensemen FA - Schlemko (UFA), Warsovsky (UFA), Merrill (RFA)

Ya we need replacements for the junk we are throwing overboard, and we have to sign another RW.

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I trust the Shero's going to make the right decision here, whatever that is. I'd probably buy a Stamkos jersey that day if he signed with us, but if it doesn't happen I'm sure we'll find other ways.

The future is bright here.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
even if we gave Stamkos $10 million/year, give Palmieri $6 million/year, AND re-sign basically any of our worthwhile RFAs and Schlemko, we will STILL have like ~$10 million to play around with IIRC.

Just for comparison- last year the combo of Elias, Ruutu, Zubrus, and Tlusty made $13.2 million between the 4 of them.

again, I post this almost daily at this point, but I am not sure if people fully grasp the cap space we have.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
even if we gave Stamkos $10 million/year, give Palmieri $6 million/year, AND re-sign basically any of our worthwhile RFAs and Schlemko, we will STILL have like ~$10 million to play around with IIRC.

Just for comparison- last year the combo of Elias, Ruutu, Zubrus, and Tlusty made $13.2 million between the 4 of them.

again, I post this almost daily at this point, but I am not sure if people fully grasp the cap space we have.

Of course they're still going to have cap space in October. It's next offseason and the offseason after that could be the problem the more big-money long-term deals that get added now, it's not like you're signing these guys for 1-2 years either.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Of course they're still going to have cap space in October. It's next offseason and the offseason after that could be the problem the more big-money long-term deals that get added now, it's not like you're signing these guys for 1-2 years either.

and who are the players that are currently on the roster that will garner longterm/big money deals in the next 1-2 years outside of Kyle Palmieri?

Schneider, Cammalleri, Larsson, Zajac, Greene, Henrique and (soon) Palmieri are all signed for 2-3 more years minimum.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
and who are the players that are currently on the roster that will garner longterm/big money deals in the next 1-2 years outside of Kyle Palmieri?

Schneider, Cammalleri, Larsson, Zajac, Greene, Henrique and (soon) Palmieri are all signed for 2-3 more years minimum.

And that's approximately $35 million for six players, about half the cap. Add Stamkos and it's $45 million for seven players. There's maybe room for one more big addition and that's pretty much your team the next few seasons.

Even teams with as much cap space as us only get to make 2-3 big purchases/trades (only two for sure if one is a $10 million deal), they'd better be the right ones.

Last edited:

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Stamkos is a great player. But I think we already have a. BIt too much of his skillset in guys like Cammalleri, Palmieri and Henrique.

We need some hard on the puck guys who will positively influence possession and make some plays for our shooters.

Backes is a breakdown risk given his age, but we need a guy like him.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Stamkos is a great player. But I think we already have a. BIt too much of his skillset in guys like Cammalleri, Palmieri and Henrique. .

Wait, what? :laugh:

We need some hard on the puck guys who will positively influence possession and make some plays for our shooters.

Backes is a breakdown risk given his age, but we need a guy like him.

This, I agree with.

His name is Alex Killorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad