Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] Nick Merkley re-signs with the Devils (1 year, 2-way, $874,125)

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
If Merkley can stay healthy he will be tough to beat he showed a lot of decent tools to his game......It has always been his ability to stay healthy that keeps him out of the lineup......Good sign lot's of competition

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
How's McLeod doing? I haven't heard anything about him in a while
He has been terrible at both pro levels.

He has nearly zero shot as even a 4C in the NHL, in my opinion. Regardless of production or lack there of, he has looked badly out of place in the NHL and even the AHL (vs potential 3C expectations).

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
If McLeod added 10-15 good pounds during the break and become a dump and chase forward who can cycle, there is a future starting as a 4th liner in the NHL From there he could become a 3rd line energy guy. There is no future as a skill or semi skilled player.

Reactions: Guttersniped

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011

He'll be nothing more than a bottom 6 at best. No matter what when you watch him, you see a guy who works hard but just nothing comes of it.

He dumps it in and goes in for the hit? Doesn't matter the defenseman already got it out or up the boards to the winger.He uses his speed to gain entry to the zone? He drops the puck for the trailing winger but in his skates or out of their reach. He has an open shot? He whiffs or shoots high.

His work ethic will get him into the NHL, but he simply just needs to gain muscle and be more assertive to carve out a defense-first crash and bang type role. He's not afraid to hit, he's just missing that extra "oomph"; that extra factor to round his game out. I'm thinking its mental and that was the biggest criticism of him in his draft year. "Does his mind match the speed his body plays?" Short answer = hell no.

He looked great in preseason and could really push for a 4th line, and probably hold his own, but there is zero chance he becomes a top 6 guy in the NHL.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Merkley will be in a dog fight against McLeod, Bastian, Boqvist, Kuokkanen, Foote and Maltsev. Zetterlund is a dark horse as well.

Currently only 9 forward spots taken in NJ, so there's going to be plenty of opportunity for these young guys to make the team.

Merkley and Bastian need to pass through waivers in order to be sent to the AHL, so have to figure they have better odds to at least start the season in NJ. Boqvist and McLeod also have a decent chance given their NHL experience. Kuokkanen would also appear to be ready to take the next step at this point. Other guys would really need to have a great camp to move ahead of these 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad